Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: DO we want to keep the Nova Roll?  (Read 126 times)

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
DO we want to keep the Nova Roll?
« on: September 08, 2020, 03:52:39 PM »
The topic says it all.

Do we really want to keep the Nova Roll? It requires the GM to do extra thing for it, and it can cause other issues as well. It is an extra complication that is not really needed.

Thoughts? Comments?

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 06:49:49 PM »
I don't want to keep it. But, I would also keep the concept around.....just in case.....I feel like there may be a place for it after all the hard mechanics are revisited for 2.0.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 07:05:29 PM »
hmm..

it currently reads

Nova Roll: This is a roll that results in a 1 on one die, and a 10 on the other. The character immediately earns a Fate Point. The action  automatically succeeds, but at the bare minimum needed for success. The player also makes an unmodified, non-explosive 1d10 roll on the appropriate Snag Table. The GM should describe the attempted action
using both the Snag and the success in such a way that the Snag occurs and yet results in success anyways.

perhaps alter it to something like this:

Nova Roll: This is a roll that results in a 1 on one die, and a 10 on the other. The character immediately earns a Fate Point. The GM is encouraged to describe the resolution in some odd fashion to add an extra bit of flavor.

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 03:14:22 PM »
How about:

"This occurs when a roll results in a 1 on one die, and a 10 on the other. The action is resolved normally, but the GM is encouraged to to describe the resolution in some odd or extraordinary fashion to add flavor. The character also gains a Fate Point: a Boon point which can be added to the result of another roll which has resulted in a minimum of 1 Boon Point."

This is a kind of recommendation on an alternative way to resolve things too....maybe Fate is basically just a way to power up a Boon?

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 06:09:39 PM »
yeah, I had been thinking of saying "You use Fate Points to acquire Boons"

or words to that effect.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 02:00:19 AM »
I think it's always fun to add some unpredictability to a roll. Nova rolls cannot make a skilled person fail at their tests but they can help less gifted people and it allows the GM to introduce some complications.
I am for keeping it.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 09:20:20 AM »
Quote from: 17915
I think it's always fun to add some unpredictability to a roll. Nova rolls cannot make a skilled person fail at their tests but they can help less gifted people and it allows the GM to introduce some complications. I am for keeping it.

Maybe say, it succeeds, but barely, but the GM is recommended to make it interesting. And make the Nova roll non-explosive?

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 09:44:03 AM »
A Nova roll should be non-explosive. I don't like the idea of adding rolls to slow down game play.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 10:16:50 AM »
Quote from: 17928
A Nova roll should be non-explosive. I don't like the idea of adding rolls to slow down game play.

If treated as a normal roll, the 10 on the one die would be explosive normally. So by making it auto-success (barely), that will reduce potential rolls...   :)

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 10:20:31 AM »
Yup- I'd prefer that. One thing I've learn in the last few months of playing on VTTs is to keep the dice rolling as simple and infrequent as possible.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 11:21:40 AM »
cool beans