Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Boon Points  (Read 150 times)

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Boon Points
« on: September 08, 2020, 10:02:21 PM »
Ok, I know that this got discussed slightly elsewhere.

Once thing that I am finding is that Boon Point are woven throughout the manuscript.

So, while I am removing the Boon/Snag Point tables, I am not removing Boon Points or Snag Points (thus the tables could be re-introduced in a later product).

As mentioned elsewhere, Wounds will be based on the Type I and Type II  damage thresholds as the triggers for gaining them (in addition to all other secondary damage)

Wound Thresholds
 Wound Level Threshold
Minor? 10 Hits total (after AR)
Major? 10 + Type I Threshold Hits
Dire? 10 + Type II Threshold Hits
  Only one type of wound is dealt per attack in this manner

And so, in addition to the damage, Boon Points can still be gained, and you can either spend them on Fate Point Options (they will have both FP and BP costs) that are appropriate to the situation.

Or, they can trade them 2 BP for 1 FP (Boon Points must be immediately spent, Fate Points can be saved).

Thoughts? Comments?

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Boon Points
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 06:36:42 AM »
My thoughts are to park them for now.

I think we should consider merging fate and boon points into a single mechanic after the core dice rolling is complete and playtested.

I think having two sets of "points" that work in a similar but different manner is a little much. I would rather see a single mechanic that encompasses both uses....like maybe the Fate effects costs start at 2 Boon points....

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Boon Points
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 08:05:48 AM »
There are currently 138 instances of the word Boon in the beta version 14 manuscript.

I am also in favor of dropping it to a single mechanic. Guess, I am just balking a little bit at having to rewrite 138 different instances to remove/change them to Fate Points... heheh

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Boon Points
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 09:49:56 AM »
Change Fate Points to Boon points. Write the effects of the Fate Points into the Boon tables starting at a the cost of 2 Boon Points or maybe 3.

Then I'd be more inclined to keep the Nova Roll as a way to add a Boon point without the high roll. Maybe this is a way to accumulate Boons without spending them right away?

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Boon Points
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 09:58:15 AM »
Quote from: 17887
Change Fate Points to Boon points. Write the effects of the Fate Points into the Boon tables starting at a the cost of 2 Boon Points or maybe 3. Then I'd be more inclined to keep the Nova Roll as a way to add a Boon point without the high roll. Maybe this is a way to accumulate Boons without spending them right away?

I am actually taking it in the opposite direction, as part of the idea is to remove all those tables.

So far, you start with 3 Fate Points, gain one with Fumbles, Nova Rolls, and 2 with a Critical Success.

You also gain Fate Points with exceptional rolls. (am not going to worry about spending them right away -- they will al be able to be saved (and all the Fate Point options will have specific costs.

Am working through the manuscript's Word files now. Finding that I have made changes in between version 14 and  public beta manuscript where not all the changes have made it everywhere. (for example, the manuscript has yet to combine Trading and Diplomacy, etc into Influence (with sub-skills), yet I had already changed the character sheet in the version 14 file.

So I am going through and making sure everything is coherent.

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Boon Points
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 10:21:18 AM »
Cool- I'll hold off until I can read the whole manuscript. I'd hate to offer feedback on bits and pieces.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Boon Points
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 11:19:16 AM »
ah, but the bits and pieces feedback does actually help. It provides me with things to think about which help crystalize the ideas into workable concepts.

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Boon Points
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 03:04:39 PM »
Fair enough. I certainly don't mind offering my opinion. I also think it's important to consider multiple possibilities during the development. 2.0 is going to be a far different game than 1.0. Almost a completely different game - if I didn't like the name so much I might recommend a name change. LOL

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Boon Points
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 06:07:39 PM »
ROFL

I had that same thought....

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Boon Points
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 07:22:26 PM »
Actually.......that might be a good way to do an intro product.....roll the system into a setting as a stand alone game. Name it something different. Then do the whole "powered by Novus" angle for the system.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Boon Points
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 05:35:37 PM »
Ok, I am up to the Talents chapter now my rewrites. Once done, then I work the changes into the PDF and it will be ready to go... (maybe a week more, I will be away from my computer for most of Saturday -- hitting the flea market to sell my jewelry), but then have all of Sunday to work on it..

(I expect to be pagemaking come Sunday or Monday)

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Boon Points
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 05:44:38 PM »
I am swamped with work. I don't expect I'll be available until next week. Do you have an online presence for your jewelry?

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Boon Points
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 06:52:57 PM »
Quote from: 17899
I am swamped with work. I don't expect I'll be available until next week. Do you have an online presence for your jewelry?

https://adhoc-artisan.com  Right now, it is only in catalog mode. I need to get more stuff uploaded to it before I turn on the Store features.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Boon Points
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 12:42:16 PM »
Ok, so coming up...

You gain Fate Points in various methods, including through exceptional rolls (no more earning Boon or Snag Points, but the good side gives you Fate Points (period, no seperate point systems).

And when you spend Fate Points, you spend them on Boons (the list of options for Fate Points in the previous version, plus a few extra things for extra damage).