Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Combat Styles  (Read 80 times)

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Combat Styles
« on: September 15, 2020, 06:04:45 AM »
We touched upon this in another thread, but I felt it deserved a topic thread of its own.

Working on updating the Training Paths with the changes to the Combat Skills and there are several Training Paths that actually gain Tiers in a Combat Style.

In the other thread, we talked about adding some sort of knowledge skill for the styles.

but right now, there is no way to prevent the character from taking a single rank and leaving it like that.

One thing we discussed is requiring a number of ranks in reverse to the opposite to the Tier level

I.e. limited to Tier 1 if you have less than 5 ranks, limited to Tier 2 if you have less 9 ranks, etc...

If we implement this, then characters, like the Diwhar (TWC focuses character) would drop from starting with Tier 2 to starting with only Tier 1 in the Style.

If we go with this change, there would be no limit on the Attack Bonuses (other than the max ranks allowed based on total XP that the character has).

Does this sound good?

Thoughts? Comments?

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Combat Styles
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 07:39:05 AM »
Hmmm. Skill bloat is my enemy.
  • I would consider removing Combat Moves completely and using only Combat Styles. Styles are cool collections of combat moves anyway and the ability to access a style should be the benefit of playing a more martial character. They are less complicated and more heroic IMO.
  • I would then tie the ability to develop a style to the Weapon Proficiency of the character: Maybe cap the Tier available based on the Proficiency to simulate the martial knowledge:
      <li style="list-style-type: none;">
    • No Proficiency: Tier I
    • Proficiency I: Tier III
    • Proficiency II: Tier V
  • I would reduce the Tiers to 3 levels (increasing their power level a bit) and have the 1st level start at rank 6, So basically ensuring a minimum level of expertise and aligning them with the skill cost structure
  • Then I would tie your Tiers to Ranks:

• Style TierRanks
    Tier I6-10
    Tier II11-15
    Tier III16+

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Combat Styles
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 07:50:35 AM »
OK, so I am working on the Training Paths now, and I am changing those Paths that have Styles to include a style skill (Lore skill, one for each style)

Ok, so it will work something like this
  • Styles require that you have ranks in the relevant combat skill BEFORE you gain the style (no limitation or skill rank requirements -- other than the standard maximum number of ranks based on total XP).
  • To get a Style (Tier 1), you need at least 1 rank in the appropriate Style Skill (this follows the standard rules on whether a skill is Favored or not).
  • To get Tier 2, you need at least 3 ranks (1 + 2 = 3) in the Style skill.
  • To get Tier 3, you need at least 6 ranks (1 +2 + 3 = 6) in the style skill.
  • To get Tier 4, you need 10 ranks minimum.
  • To get Tier 5, you need at least 15 ranks in the Style skill.
  • The cost for purchasing a Tier in the style is based on whether or not the Style skill is Favored.
This (#2 - #6) simulates the principle of diminish returns on the meta level, but in game it would also simulate how the basics are easier, but the "inner mysteries" require more and more detailed knowledge that must be fully understood before the next tidbit can be learned.

This will also help prevent players from front loading the style onto the character, helping keep things balanced.

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Combat Styles
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 08:02:33 AM »
Sounds good

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Combat Styles
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 08:06:27 AM »
Quote from: 17959
Hmmm. Skill bloat is my enemy.
  • I would consider removing Combat Moves completely and using only Combat Styles. Styles are cool collections of combat moves anyway and the ability to access a style should be the benefit of playing a more martial character. They are less complicated and more heroic IMO.

The Combat Moves for melee and ranges weapons have no costs, they are all basic. I really do not want to remove these.

Removing them from Martial Arts, I think would be a a little more problematic in that characters would then be limited to the same exact moves as everybody else UNLESS they bought a style, which would reduce martial arts skills to bevery boring.

Tying them directly into a style would then also limit the character to JUST those in the style, and not allow for the player to develop his own style  later on down the line as there would be no way for him to expand what he could do with a style outside of the style.

• I would then tie the ability to develop a style to the Weapon Proficiency of the character: Maybe cap the Tier available based on the Proficiency to simulate the martial knowledge:
      <li style="list-style-type: none;">
    • No Proficiency: Tier I
    • Proficiency I: Tier III
    • Proficiency II: Tier V

Weapon Proficiency is getting removed though. With the new Combat Skill system, there is no more Proficiencies

• I would reduce the Tiers to 3 levels (increasing their power level a bit) and have the 1st level start at rank 6, So basically ensuring a minimum level of expertise and aligning them with the skill cost structure

I think 3 Tiers would be too few for a style. 5 gives us a nice balance, I think.

And on the plus side, what I suggested in my previous post in this thread essentially means I do not have to rework the styles at all, just a bit of the description on acquiring them.

Offline Sunwolf

• View Profile
Combat Styles
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 01:24:20 PM »
Maybe have a cost to learn a move outside of your style and limit to 1 or maybe 2 outside moves per Tier

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Combat Styles
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 02:28:01 PM »
Quote from: 17964
Maybe have a cost to learn a move outside of your style and limit to 1 or maybe 2 outside moves per Tier

Yes, the Martial Arts Moves will have costs to learn outside of a style.

So far, I have 3 MS skills (Boxing, Wrestling, & Wushu), and each has 7 Combat Moves (out of 15 total -- I plan on expanding the number later, but not right now)

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Combat Styles
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 03:49:08 PM »
I'm curious to see how it all hangs together.