Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Stats and skills relative weights  (Read 77 times)

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
Stats and skills relative weights
« on: October 23, 2020, 06:20:50 PM »
It occured to me recently that stats influence of the total skill roll quickly fades when compared to skill ranks.

Considering the stat values table, there's only a 2-point difference between a prime adult and a world-class individual. That means two ranks in a skill bridges the gap between above-average and word-class ability.

I have never thought about this earlier and wonder if someone else has already given it a thought?

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 08:05:02 AM »
Stats are not skills, they should not be measureed on the same metric.

Stats aid in skill use, but as you become more and more skilled, the stats matter less and less, which is, I think, how it should be.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 09:05:48 AM »
I agree. In the first levels, the balance is absolutely fine. At higher levels, with more skill ranks, I have not conducted lots of tests but I think I will build an advanced character to see how it goes (say 400 CP).

I am not worried about the stat/skill balance and your explanation is sound.

My example may have been poor too. My point is there's not much difference between stat. On an opposed stat roll, world-class person only gets +2 versus a fit adult. This is neither negligible nor much.

disclaimer: this is not a late attempt at introducing a major change at this stage of development. ;-)