Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Player's choice instead of preset entry  (Read 125 times)

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
Player's choice instead of preset entry
« on: November 15, 2020, 06:21:24 PM »
I think it could be a good thing not to mention any specialty or sub-skills in training paths descriptions.
I have found it awkward sometimes when creating characters. Of course I can always ignored the preset indication when it does not suit me but it could be easier for people who are not familiar with the ruleset.
For example when creating Hranulf (Dwarf Warder) I had to switch his TP ranks from Heavy Blades to bludgeons/axes and Thrown blades to Theown Hafted to better suit the character's concept. That was pretty straightforward but then I had to adapt his extra core specialty light blades to bludgeons/club.
I think the good way to go is that which has been used for the Bounty Hunter who has Influence(player's choice) allowing him to choose between different styles.

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 08:14:48 PM »
I agree

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 12:58:05 PM »
I see what you are saying. My only worry would be that it may result some Training Paths looking too similar. I will take a closer look. I like more options as well, myself.

And don't forget that I have also included this note in there already..

Note: Some Training Paths give a player's choice for skills that have Specialties and then list a Minor Specialty. The player may swap these, and/or trade the Minor Specialty for an extra rank in the base skill.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 06:14:03 PM »
instead of typing out "player's choice", I can add/change things so that I put a number in parenthese, and  that number is the number of choices that are made for Specialties.

For example:

OriginalRevamped

Archmage

Archmages are the ultimate spell caster, able to learn Magic from any School. But that comes at a price. The Casting TNs and Fatigue costs are slightly higher
Magic Stat: Int
Favored Skills (8): Casting: (player's choice of School) 2, Craft: (player's choice) 1, Influence (player's choice) 1, Magecraft 1, Magelore 1, Search 1, Targeting 1
Features:
     Cantrips (5) - knows up to 10 + Int cantrips
Minor Specialties: Mglr (Sigils, Herbals) (2)
Spell Access, Arch (20) - May learn Schools of Magic as Specialties; +2 to Sensing Magic, all spells have +1 to TN and cost +1 Fatigue, uses Minor costs for purchasing spells
CP & XP: Gain +35 XP
Archmage
Archmages are the ultimate spell caster, able to learn Magic from any School. But that comes at a price. The Casting TNs and Fatigue costs are slightly higher
Magic Stat: Int
Favored Skills (8): Casting: (1) 2, Craft: (1) 1, Influence (1) 1, Magecraft 1, Magelore 1, Search 1, Targeting 1
Features:
Cantrips (5) - knows up to 10 + Int cantrips
Minor Specialties (2): Casting (1), Mglr (1)
Spell Access, Arch (20) - May learn Schools of Magic as Specialties; +2 to Sensing Magic, all spells have +1 to TN and cost +1 Fatigue, uses Minor costs for purchasing spells
CP & XP: Gain +35 XP

How does that look?

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 06:28:25 PM »
If I go this route, I should also update Cultures and Backgrounds in the same manner.

Then when a player gets a (#) behind a skill requiring Specialization, they have the choice of choosing a specialization, or of increasing the base skill by 1 point.

This also works for skills where you must choose a Sub-skill, only without the option to spend the point on the base skill, since there is none.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 03:31:45 AM »
That's a nice solution I think.
Regarding Cultures and Backgrounds, you need not be systematic with this. Sometimes a given subskill is what defines    a background (blacksmith / hammer) or is explicitely described (Gnome watchers are trained with small swords). When it is not,  I would let the players choose.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 09:35:06 AM »
Good Point

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 09:48:03 AM »
I agree with Fidoric - this also provides examples of how the game can be customized to fit a GMs own game world too.