Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Combat Balance  (Read 112 times)

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
Combat Balance
« on: November 23, 2020, 03:42:35 PM »
I have conducted some combats between the Dwarf I posted earlier (9 base AB which is good but reduced to 6 due to his armor).

First I pitted him against a Goblin. The combat dragged for more than 10 rounds due to the difficulty for the Dwarf to score a hit.

Then I went for a Kobold... that critter is even harder to hit and tougher to damage due to better armor and DT.

The good point is that fate points have proved very powerful tools  to tip the balance. But having to rely upon fate points to hit a mere goblin seems wrong to me.

Have you met the same situations? Do this need to be addressed? I think that maybe armor ratings from armors may be a bit too high, especially when worn in full suits.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
Combat Balance
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 08:47:47 AM »
Another problem with the current solution  is that a good-old dwarf fighter in mail would be better off wielding a rapier (Dex-based) than a warhammer (Spd-based).

What if armors impede initiative instead of all speed-based rolls?

Another untested suggestion: acting while wearing an armor could cost a bit more activity (example half-actions cost a full action, full actions cost maximum).

The latter has the advantage of limiting characters in tactical situations (combat) but not while travelling or hanging up in town.

I realize it may be late to bring those inputs but...

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Combat Balance
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 09:05:03 AM »
Interesting points across the board there.

In regards to the armor penalties, the easist fix there would be to change it to "non-Combat" skills, as that is the main intention anyways. (i.e. things like swimming, running, riding, etc.). I have done that now.

I am also removing the penalties on Bracers and Greaves. (AR and Impedance remain)

The question is whether that would be enough to counter any other issues you noticed.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
Combat Balance
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 09:34:20 AM »
That's a good fix.
I will reenact the same combat to see how this goes in terms of balance and efficiency.

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Combat Balance
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2020, 04:41:36 AM »
Is there a sample combat somewhere? Something that demonstrates how to apply the secondary damage and wounds etc?

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Combat Balance
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 09:46:33 AM »
Quote from: 18564
Is there a sample combat somewhere? Something that demonstrates how to apply the secondary damage and wounds etc?

...another item added to my list of things to do...

ROFL

Question -- do you think it should be between 2 intelligent beings or between a PC and a creature (I may end up doing both).....

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Combat Balance
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 11:39:00 AM »
whatever is easiest to start - I need an example to wrap MY head around before I can GM a playtest group!

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Combat Balance
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 12:08:40 PM »
will try to get something written up this weekend.