Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Sub-skills and Specialties  (Read 145 times)

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sub-skills and Specialties
« on: January 27, 2021, 10:57:59 AM »
Today, I was working on trying to trim down the Glossary section of the Beta, to see if I could drop a page from the overall page count.

And as I was looking at the definitions for Sub-skills and Specialties, it occurred to me that I may need to reverse those definitions. or prehaps change the terminology slightly.

Right now, Specialties are things that you can use a base skill for, that require a bit of extra training. For example Pole Arms and Staves are currently 2 Specialties under the 2 Handed Weapon skill. You use the same base skill for both, with modifiers if you do not have the proper specialties. But in either case, the skills are related.

Sub-skills on the other hand are distinct, individual instances of a given bucket skill. Where the specific instances and the bucket skill do not share any sort of bonuses.  For example, Craft: Herbcraft gives you no bonus to use towards Craft: Carpentry. They are un-related.

What I am proposing is changing

Skill (Specialty) to Skill (Proficiency), which actually makes it fall in line better with the Non-Proficiency Bonus.

Then to also change Skill: Sub-Skill to Skill: Specialty, which, to me, makes more sense overall.....

Thoughts? Opinions?

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
Sub-skills and Specialties
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 03:22:30 PM »
It sounds right to me. Proficiency is likely a better choice of word than specialty.