Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Background Options Question  (Read 164 times)

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Background Options Question
« on: February 17, 2021, 10:48:33 AM »
Ok, so I had a thought this morning....

What if I got rid of Talents for now. Instead, replacing them with Background Options

Each race would get a fixed number of Option Points

For example, Humans would get 6, Dwarves and Elves might get 2 or 3 (since those races already have some abilities, those could be considered pre-defined options, maybe even create specific background options for each race later).

Each Option Point would allow for a random roll on one of the Background Option Tables), or else, they could spend 2 option point to pick a specific option. Some options might have a higher "pick cost" -- for example - "Archmage Abilities" might require 5 Option Points to pick.

The random tables would also have disadvantates as well (things like Hemophilia (2x bleeding), Phychotic temper (Will Save or go into killing fit at slighted offense),Chivalrous (MUST follow chilvarous code of conduct, no matter the foe, if they are sentient), etc.

For picking options, the negative ones would only grant a +1 Option Point, and players would be limited to a +2 Option Points max from this.

Note that the Negative Options would have to be something that apply to the character (i.e. a Fighter could not take a Disadvantage that applied only to casting spells)

Please note that if I implement this, I would be removing the Hobbies, and the "place x points in stats" from Humans. And the Human Kindred Talents would be the only ones that gave additional Background Option Points.

One goal of this would be to keep things short and concise

For example

• Scope Skills (3): Radius and "number of targets automatically doubled for appropriate spells
  • Spatial Skills (3): Self only spells may now be cast on others with a range of Touch, Spells with a range of Touch now have a range of 10'
  • Transcendance(4): May wear armor while casting at no penalty
  • Minor Bane (3):May select one race or type of creature (i.e. kobolds or giant ants) were successful attacks will always deal 1 Minor Wound.
  • Major Bane (4): May select one race or type of creature (i.e. kobolds or giant ants) were successful attacks will always deal 1 Major Wound.
  • Dire Bane (5): May select one race or type of creature (i.e. kobolds or giant ants) were successful attacks will always deal 1 Dire Wound.
  • Ensorcellment Cure (4): Upon touch, magical affliction (lycanthropy, petrification, etc) must make Save (TN15) or be permanently cured
  • Herbalist (2): +3 to all rolls involving finding, preparing, or using herbs.

Talents, on the other hand, would be sidelined for now (available for creating races and such, and possibly other uses down the line.

Only rarely would background options make skills favored

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 04:33:00 PM »
It is a break from what we have been accustomed with Novus but why not. It may be easier to balance. I would tread very carefully around the flaws. Unless tightly controlled, they can often lead to serious outbreaks of min-maxing. I would even consider dropping them entirely.

I am not very keen on random backgrounds as a basis. I feel Novus is basically a game where you make choices. But it is probably a personal bias. Why not define the costs to buy the background options and allow those who want to roll randomly but at the same cost.

You will have to choose another term than background as it is already used for early occupations before the character choose its training path.

Many things to consider... I like that. I will think in it and come back to you soon.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 05:13:13 PM »
Decieded not to go random at all for them.....

The Disadvantages -- you can get 2, period. and where there are choices in them, the GM decides. Thus, you get 2 or 3 option points at most

The Advantages - cost 2 option points unless it states otherwise (some of the more expensive ones are examples in the first post)

Trimming the races as well (i.e. removing hammerkin and stone sense from dwarves - they will be in the Advantages section - but for for Dwarves, they will be Favored Background Options (i.e. costs only 1 OP to get).

This will also result in a few more CP for players. Plus I am giving humans stat bonuses (+1 St, Con, and Dex - I don't think any other race has this combo). They are still limited to a max stat of 6 though, unlike the other races, where the max is based on stat mods from the race )

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 05:41:42 PM »
I currently have a list of only 27 Advantages, and that takes up slightly less than a full page in Word. So for space wise (since each is a very short explanation)

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 09:49:19 AM »
It does look like I will need to keep some Talents. Those that are essentially one shot skills.

Just a quick skim through the list gives me the following:

• Adrenal Defense
  • Agile Defense
  • Armor
  • Extra Language
  • Frenzy
  • Proficiency, Core
  • Proficiency, Minor
  • Sense Magic
  • Shield Training
  • Skill Focus
  • Spell Focus
  • Weapon Focus

All of the rest are either not needed or can be introduced as Weapon Style elements, or special abilities of a Training Path. Or even added as Special Skills later one.

I should be able to include these few in the Skills Section, calling them "Special Skills" since they are not learned as normal skills are.

Once I have the complete list of Background Options, I will likely want to pare it down to something managable, and add the rest in later through expansion projects (not sure yet on paring the list down - depend on how much space they take)

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 04:21:21 PM »
I am not sure I understand the difference between talents and background options. As I see them, they are quite alike except the latter do not use points from the common CP pool, which is something I like about Novus. So I am not sold on this change.

Regarding the changes you brought to the Human race build, why giving up their former variable stat bonuses? It was a very good way to reflect their versatility and adaptability I think. Besides, I would not give Humans a bonus to Dex (making them better with light weapons than standard martial ones) put rather to charisma or resolve to reflect their fiery spirits. That's only my take on this.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 04:40:23 PM »
Hmm. Can't seem to be able to edit my previous post...

I feel the new special skills category is a little bit awkward as those are not skills or a least, they are vastly different from the usual skills (abilities developped over time using practice and CPs).

All in all, I am aware that my last posts may be on the negative side but I am not very happy with the late changes you propose. Maybe I miss something and I ask but to be convinced. ;-)

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 05:27:55 PM »
Ok, removing Talents for Background options

• that frees up more CP for skills/spells overall.
  • it brings MORE options to the table (37 talents to 12 Special skills (learned things that do not follow the standard skill paradigm, AND 75 Background Options (50 good, 25 bad)

Yes, I know it removes one aspect from the pool of CP, but that is a good thing since it now allows for more in the way of skills/styles/spells.

Humans - yeah, I thought I would give it a try. And I can still put it back (note that I have not changed the full playtest version yet, in case this does not work out well, I can always fix things back).

I may need to rework the races a bit more to refine how many  OP that each race gets. In fact, I am sure that I need to do so......