Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Novus 2.0 Beta v 0.22 Comments & Corrections  (Read 128 times)

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Novus 2.0 Beta v 0.22 Comments & Corrections
« on: March 07, 2021, 08:42:27 PM »
This is sthe thread to post things that I mucked up...... hehehe

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 04:45:05 PM »
Sorry for answering so late. Here are some thoughts about the latest additions in the Beta version:

• I would add an explanation of BOs in Character generation overview. Otherwise "Select Background" may be confusing.
  • BO: can you store them and use them later? I guess not. It may be the main difference between BOs and special skills. If that is correct, you may want to add or duplicate some gifts to the special skill lists to give players a way to increase their stats after creation for example.
  • On page 30, second guideline, I would say that only some characters can benefit from certain disadvantages (ie. gain a BO) but everybody can select them.
  • I am still not sold on the special skill denomination. Maybe something like "innate talents" (meaning they can only be bought at creation) for BO and "acquired talents" for special skills which may be acquire as the character develops?
  • Necromantic Legacy gives more advantages than hindrances except if it comes with some physical hint of that legacy.
  • Hammerhand may be a little bit too powerful making unarmed attacks on par with some weapons.
  • Eloquence is a curious name for this talent (as it was back in RM ?).
  • I find the Natural with Armor gift interesting but somehow odd as a BO.
  • Resistance formulation "against spells he wants" is not clear. Maybe say "even against spells he would like to affect him".
  • Many gifts give a skill bonus. I would consider making those bonuses equals to an advantage (+3 or +5 depending on the cost).
  • Survival Instinct: good take on this one!
  • Touch Skin should be tough skin.
  • Transcendance may be a tad too powerful. I think the way it is written, it is a must-have for any armored caster.

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 08:21:03 AM »
I like how the Gifts create some "you are clearly better than" situations. I think that the number of Background Options available is too high though. I'd re0scale it to being 1-3/race to make the gifts more unique. Imagine a party of 5  PCs. I would want my Gifts to make my character unique and special in that party- created separation between my character and someone else's.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 08:35:03 AM »
Don't forget, the majority of the background options cost 2 Option Points to get.

For example, Elves get 3 Option Points, so they can get 1 Gift, or 2 Gifts and a Disadvantage.

The same applies for most races (i.e. Humans get a Max of 3 Gifts)