Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Getting Rid of Secondary Damage Thresholds?  (Read 155 times)

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Getting Rid of Secondary Damage Thresholds?
« on: March 17, 2021, 08:36:00 AM »
Ok, some recent conversations got me to thinking.

Now, I don't want to add the old Boon Points system back in, but in taking a closer look at the old Combat Boon table and the new Fate - Combat Adjustments (which I am seeing are too expensive).

And I think that I have come up with a solution.

First, I will need to alter the Fate Table to make the Damage Adjustments more accessible.

Then I will get rid of both the Secondary Damage table and the Wound Threshold tables. Instead, I will replace it with a single Secondary Damage table that looks something like this:

Secondary Damage
Hits DeliveredBashSlashPierceEnergyMartial ArtsTooth & Claw
? Con +2Dazed (1) Penalty (-1)Bleed (1)Penalty (-1)Dazed (1)Bleed (1)
? StaminaShaken (1)Bleed (1)Dazed (1)Shaken(1)Penalty (1)Shaken (1)
? Stamina +2Penalty (-2)Shaken (1)Shaken (1)Penalty (-1)Shaken (1)Bleed (1)
? Stamina +5Stagger (1) Mnr (1)Stagger (1) Mnr (1)Stagger (1) Mnr (1)Stagger (1) Mnr (1)Stagger (1) Mnr (1)Stagger (1) Mnr (1)
? Stamina +8Mjr (1)Mjr (1)Mjr (1)Mjr (1)Mjr (1)Mjr (1)
? Stamina +10Dire (1)Dire (1)Dire (1)Dire (1)Dire (1)Dire (1)

All damage delivered would be cumulative (i.e. If you deliver Stamina+2 hits, then you deal Con+2, Stamina, and Stamina+5  Secondary damage)

Remember - Hits Delivered is after AR has been subtracted.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 09:16:33 AM »
Going back to the question in the thread title, since I forgot to do it in my inital post,  by creating a new Secondary (or Critical) Damage table like this, we can actually remove the Type I and Type II Secondary damage thresholds (simplifying things a bit, as it were)

AND it is tied to how well the character strikes his foe.

Thoughts? Comments? Opinions?

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 01:39:40 PM »
I think this version is a little easier to use as all the datas are in the same table.

A potential problem is : all effects are tied to the damage dealt and not directly to the attack, meaning that heavy weapons are more likely to deliver secondary damages. OTOH, it's probably not a big deal to consider that a 2H-sword is more likely to produce bleeding than a dagger.

I know it is late to complain, but I think the boon system was better (you roll well, you get to choose what kind of effect you impart on your foe). It feels more "Novus-ish" to me.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 02:01:46 PM »
Quote from: 18733
I think this version is a little easier to use as all the datas are in the same table. A potential problem is : all effects are tied to the damage dealt and not directly to the attack, meaning that heavy weapons are more likely to deliver secondary damages. OTOH, it's probably not a big deal to consider that a 2H-sword is more likely to produce bleeding than a dagger.

Yes, tied to damage dealt, which means larger weapons will deal more damage overall.

Howevr, another thing I am working on is reworking the Combat Moves from Novus 1.0, for example, a specific Combat Move  may deal Bleed (1) in addition to normal damage dealt. So there will be more possibilities.

In fact, now that I think of it, the Killing Strike from Novus 1.0 gives 2 Boon Points, Instead, we could have it "Increase critical by 2 steps" (i.e.  a result of "? Stamina" would be changed to "? Stamina+5") if successful.

Quote from: 18733
I know it is late to complain, but I think the boon system was better (you roll well, you get to choose what kind of effect you impart on your foe). It feels more "Novus-ish" to me.

You can still spend Fate Points on Combat Boons. As I am reworking the costs on them also.

One thing I do need to admit is that I did allow myself to get too far from the original Novus (hence this recent round of changes, working to brings things back closer to the original).

But I was never truly happy with the Boons. It was my attempt to make things kinda like another system that had criticals. (and ont of the largest complaints of that system was how an excellent attack roll could also result in what amounted to a worthless critical.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 04:51:15 PM »
But I was never truly happy with the Boons

That's funny because this is one of the thing that I like best about Novus: you succeed and then you (not a chart) get to decide how things go. :-)

On the other hand, I must admit that combat is and has always been the part of Novus I like less. I think that it should fit the general mechanics of boon/fate points and make use of those.

Maybe we could add some potential effects to each weapons in the table that you may spend fate points on (eg. a sword could have 1 bleeding for 1 fate, a hammer 1 daze for 1 fate...).

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 05:14:35 PM »
Quote from: 18737
That's funny because this is one of the thing that I like best about Novus: you succeed and then you (not a chart) get to decide how things go.

Didn't say I did not like it, just did not like it as much as other portions of Novus. To me, it essentially came down as being an extra complication, that we perhaps did not need.

Quote from: 18737
Maybe we could add some potential effects to each weapons in the table that you may spend fate points on (eg. a sword could have 1 bleeding for 1 fate, a hammer 1 daze for 1 fate...).

That would require making them MUCH more common than they currently are. They should be saved for special times, not become that they are considered required...

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 07:30:40 AM »
I'm going to reply in the inner circle