Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Novus 2e Beta Corrections and Comments thread!  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Novus 2e Beta Corrections and Comments thread!
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2022, 05:41:37 PM »
p52 Non-Proficiency Bonus - 'Weapons Training' - What is this? I did a word search of the whole pdf and only found it referred to 4 times, all were within this section.

In earlier versions of Novus 2e, we had Talents, rather than Background Options, these cost based options allowed for setting the level of training a character has. We removed the Talents, but not the effects, and the NPB section was the perfect place to explain it, hence why it has it listed there and within the Training Paths.

Thoughchecking, I see that in the Train Paths, I have it listed as "Weapon Training" not "Weapons Training"

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
Re: Novus 2e Beta Corrections and Comments thread allows to expand
« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2022, 06:09:37 PM »
I cannot find the base radius of the various ball spells. The generic description implies that there is a basic radius but it evades  me. There’s a casting option that allows to expand the radius but from what base?

A late thought too, a friend of mine has been playing a young mage and was disappointed not to find an iconic spell such as fire bolt or fireball. Don’t know if it is still possible but I suggest to replace conjure scythe and dart swarm by fire (or elemental) bolt and ball.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Novus 2e Beta Corrections and Comments thread allows to expand
« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2022, 08:18:55 PM »
I cannot find the base radius of the various ball spells. The generic description implies that there is a basic radius but it evades  me. There’s a casting option that allows to expand the radius but from what base?

OH MY GAWD!!! How did none of us notice this!!! The base radius is a 5' radius, just like the increment of increase.

A late thought too, a friend of mine has been playing a young mage and was disappointed not to find an iconic spell such as fire bolt or fireball. Don’t know if it is still possible but I suggest to replace conjure scythe and dart swarm by fire (or elemental) bolt and ball.

I have those spells under the Wizard. And thinking about it, especially from my background, swapping them might make more sense

The Wizard has the Elemental Arc and Elemental Ball with the element being chosen at the time of casting. And the wizard, with the Force Disk would make better use of darts and the scythe (i.e. force blades) as they fit better....

I wish somebody had mentioned this months ago.. ROFL....

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2022, 08:46:00 AM »
Ok, now is the time for the last minute typos and corrections/clarifications.

As I want to be able to submit for the print version by the end of the month. And once I do that, any mistakes in the manuscript will remain, as I will not make any more corrections once the print option is submitted. (anything beyond that will have to go into an FAQ/Errata page).

Offline Burbles

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2022, 09:22:11 PM »
Notes 10 taken whilst reading Novus 2e rpg v 1.01 (Covers p53-p56).

p52 Range Modifiers - Never actually refer to the table shown at bottom of page in the section??

If it did not in the version you are reading, it does now as it says
When making a non-spell attack at a distance, the Attack Bonus of the attacker is going to be modified by the actual range of the attack. Using the Range Increment of the weapon or attack being used, you can look up the actual range on the Range Increments table to see what the modifier for the attack will be.
[/color]

p53 Table of Range Increments - Increment 20 - Med, Long and Max distances incorrect (shorter than Increment 15 ranges).

p53 Table of Range Increments - Increment 100 - Max 300' should read 301'

p55 Universal Combat Moves - 'Unless stated otherwise within the description of the UMC, this move takes the place of a character's attack action for the round'? Can't I perform a Standard Action (Dodge) and a Half Action (Attack with Ranged or Basic Attack (Tiny/Small)? Also see comment regarding 'p56 - Riposte' below.

Quote from: Rasyr
The phrasing for that (taking the place of an attack action was from back when I was only allowing one attack action per round, period. That then changed so that it depends upon the type of attack and what type of action that requires. I have adjusted the paragraph to read
Every character, regardless of their Training Path, may elect to use one of the following Universal Combat Moves (UCM) during the course of combat. Unless stated otherwise within the description of the UCM or another Move, these Moves are considered Standard Actions. These are all considered to be Defensive Actions.
So that it is treated as a Standard (3 AP) action, unless otherwise stated (like the Full Parry is). However, making an attack in the same round would also require that the attack already be ready to be made (i.e. you cannot dodge and fire a bow if you have not already loaded the bow).

p56 - Fight Defensively / Full Parry - As I read it Fight Defensively (Parrying) does not allow an attack, yet Fully Parry does (ie Full Parry specifically mentions an attack, but Fight Defensively doesn't). Is this meant?

Reworded
Gain +1 DT for every -2 to AB for his attack(s) that round, the player decides the amount moved from AB to DT at the start of each round in which this Move is used. The subtraction from AB cannot exceed the number of ranks in the combat skill being used.
[/color]

p56 - Disarm - Mentions what happens when a save is failed, and how the target number changes depending upon the success of attack roll, but what is the base TN? Is it 15? I think its the fact that the first Combat Move (Block on p55) specifically mentions a TN is why I'm looking for one to be mentioned. If 'Block' description is a special TN case, perhaps remind reader the value of the TN in the description of 'Sv' on p55? Oh and change 'Sv' on p 55 to 'Save', as you seem not to be using 'Sv' when listing Moves (see Block p55, Disarm & Feint p56).

Stated several times throughout the book, the standard TN for anything and everything, unless otherwise stated is 15. That applies here as well. The TN against the Disarm starts with a base of 15, and then is increased by how good the attack roll was in attempting the Disarm (the TN of that being the DT of the target being attacked instead of 15)

And yes, will add that reminder. :)

p56 - Riposte 'This move may only be used after a successful Block. Both the Block and the Riposte must be declared at the start of the round'. Referring to comment earlier regarding Universal Combat Moves isn't Riposte an attack action? if so doesn't using Dodge imply that you can't make an attack action?

this falls within the "unless stated otherwise" , but I will also add "or another Move" to that paragraph as well (already added above)

p56 Shield Bash - 'This attack uses the characters Strength' should be 'This attack uses the character's Strength' (ie apostrophy s)?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 08:49:05 AM by Rasyr »

Offline Burbles

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2022, 09:25:04 PM »
p105 Goblin AR should be in brackets.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 11:42:26 AM by Rasyr »

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2022, 09:26:37 PM »
Some of my own changes (things realized as I am working on compiling the Caster's Compendium)

Changed wording of spell Protect from Heat/Cold so that the last sentence took both extremes into account. Also bolded the word "Description:" at the beginning of the spell's description.

Rewrote Types of Casters to better reflect what we actually have. The previous classifications are from an earlier version of the rules.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2022, 09:34:16 PM »
p56 - Fight Defensively / Full Parry - As I read it Fight Defensively (Parrying) does not allow an attack, yet Fully Parry does (ie Full Parry specifically mentions an attack, but Fight Defensively doesn't). Is this meant?

Yeah, my Rolemaster roots are showing though, where any sort of parry also includes an attack, so apparently my brain did not feel like a clarification was required.  I will have to reword it.

Basically, you are reducing your attack to increase your defense. The attack still happens. In Full Parry, it is specified that the attack happens cause you are moving ALL your attack bonus to defense (whic DID cause confusion - can you attack even though you have moved all your attack bonus?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 12:04:27 PM by Rasyr »

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2022, 07:33:22 AM »
In regards to TNs

On page 4, under Basic Mechanics, it states:

For Skill Rolls, rolls to accomplish actions, the default
TN, unless otherwise stated, will be 15 for an average type
of roll that an adventurer will encounter. Refer to p. 89 for
more information on Common Modifiers and their affect
on the TN of the roll.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2022, 11:21:12 AM »
The description of the Elemental Ball spell has two points to correct:
  • If "the bolt" is of fire should be if "the ball" is of fire
  • Last option is "Infernal cone" but should be "Elemental cone"
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 12:17:40 PM by Rasyr »

Offline Burbles

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 17, 2022, 04:04:09 AM »
p58 - Throw - Advanced Moves - Far Throw - '20 becomes a RIt of 40)' I think the RIt should be RI
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 07:31:55 AM by Rasyr »

Offline Burbles

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2022, 05:10:55 AM »
p63 First paragraph, last sentence mentions 'Libram Arcana' but no such section exists in document.

Removed everything before "How Magic Works" as it is not needed (though it was early on in playtesting).

p63 How Magic Works, last sentence - 'Types of Casters below' - 'below' is incorrect, its either 'over the page' or '(p64)'

that is Type of Spell Users now as that entire small section has been rewritten to better reflect what is in the book

p64 Last sentence before Natural Magic - 'Monks and Shadowkin' - this is the only mention of Shadowkin in document

p65 Casting Spells - first sentence - 'the caser' should be 'the caster'

p69 Spell Lists - 'Spell Name (MJ #/MN #/N #)' Previously these abbreviations had lower case second letters, so shouldn't it be 'Spell Name (Mj #/Mn #/N #)'?

Good Catches!

For that last one, I had to go back and correct it in the Training Paths (as I had MJ there and Mn as well). I replaced the "MJ" with Major (Mj) and "Mn" (and yes, I had the quote marks in the book), with Minor (Mn) for better clarity.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:50:42 AM by Rasyr »

Offline Burbles

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2022, 04:42:00 PM »
p4 Explosion - 'Can earn Fate Points he same as' should be 'Can earn Fate Points the same as'

p87 Explosion and Prime Success differ in order from that listed on p4 (where Prime Success comes last). Would expect Prime Success (as best roll) last?

Fixed, and I decided that Apex Success  sounds better than Prime Success, so I changed that wording too
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 09:02:14 PM by Rasyr »

Offline Burbles

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2022, 03:44:50 PM »
Fixed, and I decided that Apex Success  sounds better than Prime Success, so I changed that wording too

Really - two 10's is a 'Super Nova' roll!

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2022, 08:19:13 PM »

Really - two 10's is a 'Super Nova' roll!

Please excuse me while I go find a wall to beat my head against..... Something so obvious that I never considered it..... (was, until recently, stuck on calling it a Critical Success).