Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Novus 2e Beta Corrections and Comments thread!  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Trentin Bergeron

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
    • https://www.trechriron.com
Novus 2e Beta Corrections and Comments thread!
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2021, 03:00:34 AM »

Suggested clarification changes;

Combat Moves; page 55; 2nd column; Rng;

This entry is very confusing. If the Rng is improving because of this move, it moves up one row? While a hindrance moves it down one row? The way it's described, the +1 moving down while the -1 moving up? That's going to throw people off IME. Maybe switch them around so you say something like:

"This represents the Range Increment improvement or hindrance based on the move. The number here shows movement up or down the Range Increments table. A +1 represents an improvement, moving up to the next row while a -1 would represent a decrease, moving down one row."

Editor's Note: I changed it to read:

This represents the Range Increment for the weapon. The number listed here represents movement up or down the Range Increments table. An entry of +1 means to move to the next larger Range Increment. An entry of -1 means to move to the next smaller Range Increment, and so forth.

Trentin C Bergeron
Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

Offline Trentin Bergeron

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2021, 03:04:36 AM »

Suggested clarification for Combat Moves;

Using the term "attributes" can cause confusion because it's a common term in RPGs. The list with abbreviations are really parameters and focuses the reader on seeing these entries as such. (IMHO)

Editor's Note: for combat moves, it was changed to parameter. I also found an instance in the Spell Chapter where I referred to Impedance as an "attribute" of Armor, I changed that to "property"

Trentin C Bergeron

Offline Trentin Bergeron

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2021, 03:22:42 AM »
Suggested formatting change;
Combat Moves;

I feel like the one row in brackets filled with parameters is hard to read. I would suggest creating a universal table for the top of each move. This would give the lists a uniform feeling. It could also add some whitespace for "eye-breathing" :-D

Example:

(I made a Google Sheet with my suggestion) -->

Editor's Note: I will consider it, but there are several things involved.

• It will actually add several pages to the product, something I was trying to avoid AND the reason I came up with the notation in this format to begin with, to save space....[/li]

• Not every move uses every parameter, so we would end up with a lot of tables with no data in various fields or tables that differ from move to move (note: not opposed to this latter option -- but it does require thought, mostly based on point 1).[/li]

• I would not include the CP costs in the tables, they would remain in brackets beside the move name, if I did move to tables. This way they did not get lost in details (also why cost is always first currently).[/li]

• Alternatively, I could create a SINGLE table with all of the moves listed, and all the parameters (except cost), and provide for a single reference rather than forcing GMs/Players into flipping through the book every time.[/li]

Thoughts and Comments on this welcome!
[/quote]

Trentin C Bergeron

Offline Trentin Bergeron

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2021, 03:33:06 AM »
Also, addendum to Combat Move formatting;

Some of the parameters are not clear in the list. The table format might make it clearer with a Stat or Required is present.
Trentin C Bergeron

Offline Trentin Bergeron

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2021, 03:43:00 AM »
YE GADS - I really dig these combat moves!! They are brilliant! I love how some require a Save. That is very elegant IMHO.
Trentin C Bergeron

Offline Trentin Bergeron

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2021, 03:45:32 AM »

Suggesting for tightening up Combat Moves;

I would suggest not repeating yourself when it comes to the parameters -- inside the Effects section. So, if the move is an interrupt, it shouldn't be necessary to remind the reader what that is because you already mentioned it in the parameters section. By removing these "double clarifications" you can reduce text size of the section.

Trentin C Bergeron

Offline Trentin Bergeron

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2021, 03:51:46 AM »

Missing word;

Combat Moves; Melee; page 56; 1st column; Disarm; last sentence;

Change:

"+1 for every 3 points over foe's DT the Disarm (attack) roll was."

To:

"+1 for every 3 points over the foe's DT the Disarm (attack) roll was."

Consider rephrasing for clarity:

"Make a Disarm attack roll. For every 3 points over your foe's DT, increase the TN of the save by 1. If your foe fails the save, his weapon goes flying 1-10' in a random direction."

This describes the move in the correct order of operations, which helps people memorize lists of info like Combat Moves.

Trentin C Bergeron

Offline Trentin Bergeron

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2021, 04:02:30 AM »

Missing number;

Combat Moves; Melee; page 56; 1st column; Probe;

How many ranks should be listed for;

" "More Skilled" (more than ??? ranks higher than the character), "

Also, consider changing this to a table and describing differently for clarity?

Opponent LevelOpponent Ranks
Less Skilled3-
About Evenly Matched2- / 2+
More Skilled3+ (guess)
Very Greatly Skilled6+

Trentin C Bergeron

Offline Trentin Bergeron

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2021, 04:10:15 AM »
Hey, would you be opposed to me just emailing you a copy of an annotated PDF? It would make this process go a tad faster... :-D
Trentin C Bergeron

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2021, 08:25:27 AM »
Quote from: 18957
Reading through Critical Damage on page 48. This is such a simpler way to express this idea vs the old way (RM...). Suggestion: Choose an icon that represents the four types of CD. This icon would be placed to the left of the heading (above) and entry in the table. This will help visually identify the type of CD quickly. What is the point of choosing 1 result vs. just escalating the effects? I feel like for a Critical that exceeds the DT by 8, 12, or 15 -- that should wallop someone for all the effects. At least, that is how I remember it being in the other game.

You are likely right about having the entire contents of the row affect the target. I might also remove the ability to choose lesser crits (and require a "pulling your punch" type move to allow for it). I wanted to get the final version out today, that is NOT going to happen now.. hehehe, but I may likely be able to get it out by this weekend.

Quote from: 18979
Hey, would you be opposed to me just emailing you a copy of an annotated PDF? It would make this process go a tad faster...

Actually, I prefer seeing the posts here, so that I can track the changes I make or decide not to, based on what I see (by my making them bold green), and it lets all who are interested see what is happening as well (i.e. fully open, not in some secret back room/forum like a certain other group used, which then drove away MOST of their group that they had working on their current version - which still in beta after 10+ years...)

Offline Trentin Bergeron

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2021, 04:42:50 PM »
Awesome, I'll keep posting things here then! :-D

Trentin C Bergeron

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2021, 08:46:38 AM »
Quote from: 18982
Awesome, I'll keep posting things here then!

And the sooner the better, as I am hoping to release the official bare bones sometime Sunday if possible (give you a deadline of Saturday night).

I wanted to release the first non-beta version on the 1st of December, but you messed that up... ROFL.....

And once I get that Bare Bones version up, then I can start working on the main version (i.e. with art)

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2021, 10:21:47 AM »
And now I have some things to thinks about regarding the suggestions you have made.

I posted an alternative crit table in another thread, but to me, it seems like the symbols may not be needed unless, I either strip out the words as well, AND/OR add flavor text to each entry (which is a MAJOR PAIN!!!!! after doing crit tables for RM in the past.... as I would want to make any flavor text generic enough that folks do not take it as "actual damage" which is what happened to RM crit tables - the entries that say stuff like "broken arm" don't have to actually be a broken arm, it is more an example of HOW the damage could be interpreted than what it actually was...)

Additionally, the only other reason would be if I were going to expand those tables (which would be an epic chore to say the least hehehe)

In any case, still thinking it over what to do with the crit table....

Offline Trentin Bergeron

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2021, 10:43:35 PM »
Quote from: 18973

<p style="color: blue; font-weight: bolder;">Editor's Note: I will consider it, but there are several things involved.</p>
<p style="color: blue; font-weight: bolder;">Thoughts and Comments on this welcome!</p>

I like the single table idea! That might make things a little easier. But, the condensed text makes it harder to understand IMHO.

I included two examples of tables in my sheet linked above. It will add some pages, but I think it's worth it for clarity. The martial arts moves are the only ones that needed the Stat + Skill req, so that line could be left out of the others.
Trentin C Bergeron

Offline Trentin Bergeron

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2021, 10:45:48 PM »

Magic; page 63, column 1; How Magic Works; first paragraph;

Change:

"<span class="fontstyle0">Some of those Training Paths use spells on a frequent <span style="color: #ff0000;">basic</span>, so "</span>

To:

"<span class="fontstyle0">Some of those Training Paths use spells on a frequent <span style="color: #ff0000;">basis</span>, so "</span>

Trentin C Bergeron