Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Novus 2e Beta Corrections and Comments thread!  (Read 2853 times)

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Novus 2e Beta Corrections and Comments thread!
« Reply #90 on: December 28, 2021, 06:01:09 PM »
Regarding weapons on page 22 but not on the weapons table -- some weapons were listed as examples, it was not meant to be a comprehensive listing of weapons. I have added a note to that effect.

Having said that, I do see that I will need to add more weapons overall, I will most likely add them whatever additional product I put non casters into.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 28, 2021, 06:02:46 PM »
Short Spears are essentially heavy blades on a long handle.

For example, this is actually considered to be a short spear as well, and yet I would consider it to be a heavy blade for sure. In fact, I am adding "some Short Spears" under Great Blades as well, since they can be used both 1 handed and 2 handed.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 06:09:16 PM by Rasyr »

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2021, 07:00:35 PM »
p23 Looking at Magelore specialties, obviously most of the latter ones require earlier ones. Of interest to me is Herbals. A brief flick through the text indicates that remedies and elixers can be bought, but there are no rules provided for their crafting (time/cost/collecting herbs)? Is this correct? If so I have to say this appears to be an oversight, as I could see this as a valid 'starting character' choice (especially for a cleric and the healing herbal).

The rules for creating items will be in a magic-themed expansion, unless I can find someplace to include an extra 1/4 page of text.

Or maybe I can rewrite some of it to take less space, will look into it.

Addendum -- Was able to add to the treasure chapter for those two items
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 07:15:58 PM by Rasyr »

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2021, 07:51:18 PM »
Re: Foraging - that test was a holdover from when it was Specialties, before we changed it to Proficiencies. Have reworded that entire section...

Offline Burbles

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2021, 09:51:36 PM »
Addendum -- Was able to add to the treasure chapter for those two items

Yay! Thanks, really think this was needed.

Offline Burbles

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2021, 11:05:12 PM »
Notes 6 taken whilst reading Novus 2e rpg (Covers p33-41).

p34-35 - Both 'Lock Pick Kit' and 'Oil Flask' have different capitalisation in Table on p34 and description on p35

p34-35 - 'Pipes' not listed in Table on p34

p35 Multi-Tool - Spacing between 2nd and 3rd paragraphs less than spacing between 1st and 2nd paragraphs?

p37 Greaves - Incomplete sentence at end of first paragraph? 'Wearing Greaves with Torso Armor...' (is considered a fashion faux pas for Stormgard?)

p37 Normal Rations - In description it's written as 'Normal rations'. R needs to be a capital.

p38 Wagon - Last line is again an incomplete sentence.

p39 Weapons Table - Cestus not listed in Combat Skills on p22 (I'd assume that its associated with Martial Arts).

Quote from: Rasyr
used with Boxing (added to the skill description)

p40 Bastard Sword - 'either 1 hand or two'. Recommend writing numerals in same format. Also, last line possibly redundant (very close to repeating earlier statement?). Possibly replace 'It has a longer hilt that could easily accomodate one hand or two' with 'It has a longer hilt that allows one or two-handed use.' and remove last sentence.

p40 Hand Axe - Starts with 'The Hand axe'. Should this be 'The Hand Axe'?

p41 Long Sword - Listed in table on p39, but no description?

p41 Nunchaku - 'Mya' should be 'May'

p41 War Hammer - Given the description supplied, why doesn't the table on p39 show neither Pierce nor a Range?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 08:42:28 PM by Rasyr »

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2021, 09:23:46 AM »
Just a side note

Rather than quoting and making new replies to specific portions of your posts, I am dropping my comments into your posts as quotes, replying to specific points (such as where I reword something...)

I'll only quote and make a new reply moving forward when it is for something like what I posted about the Short Spear above...

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2021, 02:14:49 AM »
On page 37 (and page 43 last paragraph), you may want to remove references to called shots as this option is not implemented in the proposed version.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 08:23:33 AM by Rasyr »

Offline Burbles

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 30, 2021, 09:29:30 PM »
Notes 7 taken whilst reading Novus 2e rpg (Covers p42-48).

Only just noticed this rereading earlier. Why is it that a Half-Dwarf Kindred ends up with worse swimming roll penalties that a straight Dwarf?

Likely cause the swimming penalties were once greater and I will change that to be a flat -1

p9 Kindred - Stat listings for Dwarf and Dwelf Stats are abbreviated, other kindred have the full name of the stat provided.

I also noticed that the Kindred Talent for the Dwelf had at least 3 other errors (the overall price should be 9, the price for Striker was wrong, and the descriptions for Striker and  Extra Sturdy needed corrections too

Training Paths and Culture listings both have 'CP & XP' section. Why, none of the choices list any extra 'CP' do they?

The ones in the Core rules do not, no. However, there are Training Paths already written that do give CP, and there could be Cultures that allow for it as well (I have not written the Cultures for Anwyn yet). Basically, it says "CP & XP:" like that for future expansion and inclusiveness.

p42 First paragraph - There seems to be a repeat of information. Firstly we have 'selected your Race, Culture, Background Options,' and later we have 'You should have also chosen your Background Options'. The second sentence seems redundant.

p42 Second paragraph - 'not only how to figure it up' seems strange to me 'figure it out' or 'calculate it'

p42 Second paragraph - 'each item is used while in play' - possibly delete the 'while'?

rewrote paragraph:

We will go over each of these items below, not only covering how to figure them up, if any figuring is required, but also how each item is used during play.

p42 Left hand column - Bolded 'Attk Bns' - We have already introduced the Attack Bonus abbreviation as 'AB', why change it? Other abbreviations already on the sheet are BD and SD! If this is changed then character sheet needs to be modified as well.

That was a hold over from earlier versions, but remained because the character sheet sill had it (and I was trying to not change it.... sigh... I had discovered another fix I needed to make on it (for the borders), so I have updated this.

p42 Top line or RH column. Interdoces the term 'Damage Threshold', should this be 'Defensive Threshold'?

p43 Defensive Threshold - Second column - 'DT during combats' - Should this be 'DT during combat'?

p43 Modifiers to Defense - The itallised 'Dodging' is p55, 'Diving for Cover' and 'Full Parry' are currently on p56?

p44 Encumbrance - Weapons -'Weapons table on p38' should be 'Weapons table on p39'

p45 Vitality & Wounds - 'When a character is attacked, he takes damage' is incorrect. Possibly 'When a character is successfully attacked, he takes damage' or 'successfullly hit'. Even this is incorrect, if armor absorbs the blow.

rewritten as:

When a character is attacked, he may damage known as Hits. These Hits are subtracted from his Vitality on his character sheet, using the Hits box. In addition to Hits, there are a few other types of damage that he can receive.

Quote from: Burbles
'When a character is attacked, he may take damage'??

p45 Major Wounds - 'A character can never have less than 1 Major Wound starting out' seems to imply they start out wounded. 'A character's Major Wounds can never start at less than 1,'?

rewrote that sentence for both Major Wounds and Dire Wounds

This value can never be less than 1 starting out

p45 Critical Damage - 'Refer to the Chapter on Combat, the section on Dealing Damage (p47)' When I first read this I thought it was two references, why not just write as 'Refer to the section on Dealing Damage (p47)'

p48 Critical Damage
OK this section is what I got stuck on. I've reread it a number of times as I had trouble working out when it should be applied. At this stage I'm assuming that its any attack roll that >= (DT+3). Please correct me if I'm wrong. There are two things that puzzled me - firstly the use of 'critical' - as it already has a specific meaning in Novus (ie two 10's) so I initially thought that it was only related to an attack roll of (10,10). On the other hand if its based upon the Attack Roll/DT difference, why does the first paragraph of this section state 'there is also a chance that the attacker may also do additional Critical Damage'? Which sort of implies that there's some chance involved. Shouldn't it read 'Critical Damage will be dealt if the Attack Roll exceeds the DT by 3 or more'. ie Critcal Damage is automatic if AR>=(DT+3).

Critical Success (dice rolls) have been renamed to Prime Success

yeah, this section definitely needs a closer look. This was not the first critical table, in some versions, it based on the amount of hits dealt rather than amount over DT. Definitely needs some rethinking.

A couple of questions if I may
1)Now if I understand the system correctly, does this means that the first strike of (AR-DT)>=5 pretty much finishes the opponent due to cumulative penalties? (ie there's a death spiral once you're hit)

It depends on the Critical Damage Dealt -- at one point, the player choose one of the available entries per level, but currently all apply

2) As a DM, do you  use counters/chips to indicate status and or further penalties to come in the following rounds. There seems to be an awful lot to track if you have (say) 8 combatants in a melee (4 party/4 opponents)!

I come from a Rolemaster background, so this does not seem like much to track at all to me.

I'll admit that I come from an early D&D background, which is more forgiving than (most) other systems, but I can understand why you recommend starting with a 'Fighting Defensively' stance to players.

So, I suspected from some eariler comments.. heheh But ou do have a point about Death Spiral, and I might change things slightly

OK back to editing....

p45 Left Hand Column - Second Paragraph - 'deliverd' should be 'delivered'

p45 Left Hand Column - Second Paragraph - 'If they choose, they may' may be better as 'If they choose, the attacker may' (ie 'they' is indistinct)

p45 Left Hand Column -Bleeding - 'Hits of Bleeding' should be 'Hits from Bleeding'?

p45 Left Hand Column - Bleeding - (p. p. 50) should just be (p. 50)

p45 Left Hand Column - Stuns - 'There are 3 levels of Stun, Dazed, Shaken' should be 'There are 3 levels of Stun - Dazed, Shaken'.

p45 Right Hand Column - First Paragraph - 'are gone the rounds of Daze are applied' should be 'are gone the rounds of Dazed are applied'

p45 Critical Damage Table - Pen. should be replaced with 'Penalty'.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 09:59:02 PM by Rasyr »

Offline Burbles

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2022, 11:38:30 PM »
Notes 8 taken whilst reading Novus 2e rpg (Covers p49-p50 plus some more).

p49 - Initiative - Last paragraph - End of last sentence - 'that their IP is below zero or Rerolling Initiative (p.53)'. Firstly should that 'Reroll Initiative'

Other question is can the Initiative roll explode? I'd assumed not, but the reference to a Fumble suggests that it can (otherwise why refer to Fumbles?).

The sentence before the one about Fumbles in the Initiative section explicitily says that they can explode and you can even get a Prime Success.

Aside: I think I'd suggested earlier that I'd find it really useful to have some manner of indicating whether a 2d10 roll is just add the result of 2 10-sided dice or the roll described on p4 really useful.

What is the difference between 'Fighting Defensively' (p51) and 'Fight Defensive' (p56)? They seem to have the same AB -> DT shift, if so then why the naming difference?

I can probably remove the one from Combat Notes. It was there before I codified it as a Combat Move.

Question regarding Abort Actions - do they have a cost associated with them? Can they be chosen without cancelling a previously declared Full Action?
(Note: The description in 'Abort Actions' (p50) and 'Cancelling an Action' (p51) differ regarding the requirements of the type of Action cancelled. 'Cancelling an Action' seems to have a far greater choice.)
If an action must be cancelled to allow an Abort Action to be performed, then the second paragraph of 'Fighting Defensively' can be removed. My reasoning is as follows: to perform an abort action (ie fighting defensively) I must cancel actions worth at least 3AP (meaning I only have 2 AP left). Both Dodge and Block are Standard actions (3 AP) so impossible to have been declared. Similarly 'Parry' is another Abort Action (which requires 3AP sacrifice, or does the one sacrifice of 3+AP allow for more than one Abort Actions)?

The only time that Abort Actions can be declared is when canceling an action (as described in the Canceling an Action section. I have changed the description in the list of action types to read

"Abort Actions are actions that can be performed should you cancel a previously declared actions (see Cancelling an Action, p. 51). "

and then that section details that it is allowed only when cancelling Max, Full, Standar, or 2 Half Actions.  Canceling a Single Half Action allows for choosing a Snap Action.

The only other time you can choose an Abort Action is if you are stunned. I may need to reword the paragraph above the list of Abort Actions to make that clearer.

Reworded it to

Abort Actions may only be declared should you cancel one or more previously declared actions (see Cancelling an Action, p. 51). Abort Actions are also the only Actions that may be performed if your character is Stunned or if their Initiative Point is less than zero.

Funnily enough this took me some time to work through....

p50 Actions - Standard Actions - Cast a Spell and Defensive Action not in alphabetical order.

Casting a Spell has been moved to be a Full Action.

p50 Abort Actions - 'Move 2 x Base Run' should be 'Move 2x Base Run' (remove space).
p50 Actions - '1 Half Action (2 AP) and 3 Snap Actions 1AP Each)' should be '1 Half Action (2 AP) and 3 Snap Actions (1AP each)'
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 09:03:04 AM by Rasyr »

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2022, 05:28:25 AM »
Do we have any more corrections coming soon?

If not, I will plan on updating the files on DriveThru RPG come Sunday night (US, Eastern Time zone, for thouse outside the US, I believe that would be Monday morning for those in Australia)

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2022, 12:41:45 PM »
The Necromantic legacy drawback seems rather to be an advantage.
  • The way it is written, you don't really die but become an undead and undeads fear you for that.
  • It should at least include a penalty to social interactions or something else to make it a real drawback.

The copyright year should be 2022 and not 2021. ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 01:01:43 PM by Rasyr »

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2022, 12:57:16 PM »
The Necromantic legacy drawback seems rather to be an advantage.
  • The way it is written, you don't really die but become an undead and undeads fear you for that.
  • It should at least include a penalty to social interactions or something else to make it a real drawback.

The copyright year should be 2022 and not 2021.  ;)

Yeah, some might see that as a bonus, so I have rewritten it

Necromantic Legacy: Upon death, the character will become a GM controlled intelligent undead, often a lesser form of lich, vampire spawn, skeleton or zombie. The character knows this, and so will all undead, who will seek to speed him along to his destiny. The character must make a Will Save when encountering undead in any form or be unable to get within 5’ of them, due to his natural revlusion to such a fate.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2022, 02:50:27 PM »
I think it's much better that way.

Offline Burbles

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2022, 04:08:53 PM »
Notes 9 taken whilst reading Novus 2e rpg (Covers p51-p5 plus one more).

p50 Snap Actions - 'during the round. (see' should read 'during the round (see'. ie remove full stop after 'round'

p51 Control Zone - attacks from flank and rear have bonuses to attack. Is this 'to hit' only or also to damage on a successful hit? I ask because you use the word 'attacks' here, where as later (p51 Firing into Melee) you use the term 'attack roll'. P.S. In actual fact reading elsewhere, attack seems to mean attack roll.

added "to the attack roll" to clarify in both sentences

p51 Disengaging from Melee - mentions half action for disengaging, but this not listed under Half Actions on p50

p52 Holding an Action - 'Should a player decide to hold his character's actions prior to declaring this characters's actions for the round, there is no penalty' What does this actually mean? I don't need to declare my actions, just say I'm holding them? Don't I need to declare actions in phase 2.

It means that they do not lose the Snap Action like they do if they decide to hold after declaration (and it does not change when declarations are made at all). have reworded a bit to clarify this.

p52 Non-Proficiency Bonus - 'Weapons Training' - What is this? I did a word search of the whole pdf and only found it referred to 4 times, all were within this section.

I answered this in another thread, and I am changing the Training Path name to Weapons Training, so it matches what is on page 52.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 09:19:55 PM by Rasyr »