Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Kongjin Fa development  (Read 125 times)

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
Kongjin Fa development
« on: November 15, 2021, 12:20:30 PM »
<hr />

To develop Kongjin Fa, if I understand correctly, you need:

<span class="s2">• </span>Wushu (more ranks than Kuo Sho)

<span class="s2">• </span>Weapon focus in Wushu

<span class="s2">• </span>Kuo Sho MA Style (more rank than Kongjin Fa)

<span class="s2">• </span>Lore: Kuo Sho (if you want to buy moves or special abilities)

<span class="s2">• </span>Kongjin Fa MA style

<span class="s2">• </span>Lore: Kongjin Fa (if you want to buy moves or special abilities)

If you disregard the one-time cost for Weapon focus, that means you are required to pay 10 ranks in Wushu and KuoSho before buying 10 ranks in Kongjin Fa. Probably you will have Wushu and Kuo Sho as favored skills but even so, the price in CP will be hefty (50 CP if you have both Kuo Shoand Wushu as favored, 70 CP with only Wushu as favored... and this is without buying any rank in Lores, Combat moves or special abilities).

The cost is going to explode for ranks above 10. Even with all skills marked as favored, it will cost 15 CP just to upgrade from 10 to 11 ranks in Kongjin Fa.

Is this how it is supposed to work? I think it may be a little bit expensive.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kongjin Fa development
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 01:43:29 PM »
you may be right. I will take another look at it...

the idea was if you had 5 ranks in Kongjin Fa, you need 5 or more ranks in Wushu and in Kuo Sho, so that this style applied atop of the others...

figuring that they would purchase ranks as they go, not buy 10 at a time in each....

I was also presuming that the extra 3 points would be paid to make the needed style/skill favored.

IIRC..... hehehe

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kongjin Fa development
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 12:34:15 PM »
Ok, so what it boils down to is

• You have several Basic Martial Arts Styles. They have the requirements of :
    • Weapon Focus in Wushu, boxing or wrestling
    • More ranks in style than in the unarmed skill
  • You then have several Advanced Martial Arts Styles which require equal or more ranks in the basic style

The best solution that I can come up with is ---

change those rank requirements so you no longer have to have equal or higher, but instead change it to read that you use the skill bonus for which you have the least number of ranks

thus, if you have:

12 ranks in wushu, 10 ranks in Kuo Sho , and 5 ranks in Kongjin Fa,

You only get to a +5 bonus when performing Kongjin Fa style a +10 when using Kuo Sho, and +12 when using basic wushu.

now if it were instead....

5 ranks in wushu, 10 ranks in Kuo Sho, and 7 ranks in Kongjin Fa,

then you would be limited to a max of +5 Attack Bonus in both Kuo Sho and Kongjin Fa since that is all the ranks you have in wushu

and thus....

12 ranks in wushu, 5 ranks in Kuo Sho , and 7 ranks in Kongjin Fa,

you would have a +12 in basic wushu, or a +5 in either Kuo Sho or Kongjin Fa since Kongjin Fa is limited to the ranks of the skills that come before it.

wushu > Kuo Sho > Kongjin Fa

that make better sense?

has the same basic effect in that you want equal ranks across the board, but does not force it, allowing for more flexibility (and allows for scholars of those styles who are not marital artists.....)