Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Rules question  (Read 358 times)

Offline gumboots_smithy

• View Profile
Rules question
« on: February 01, 2022, 11:51:51 AM »
Hello everyone.My first post here and its a complaint  ;D

The dodge skill on page 61 under "Universal combat moves"  doesn't seem to have any information on how you actually resolve the move.

Or have i missed something?

I would greatly appreciate a little guidance

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rules question
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 01:41:57 PM »
Hello everyone.My first post here and its a complaint  ;D

The dodge skill on page 61 under "Universal combat moves"  doesn't seem to have any information on how you actually resolve the move.

Or have i missed something?

I would greatly appreciate a little guidance

During the Action Declaration Phase, you announce that you are planning to Dodge any attacks that you receive. This takes up 3 Action Points (leaving you 2 Action Points for other actions in the round).

You then add 3 points to your Defensive Threshold for the round as you are harder to hit.

Basically, you are giving up most types of attacks in order to make yourself harder to hit overall.

Offline gumboots_smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 06:29:35 AM »
That's great, thank you

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 07:13:57 AM »
That's great, thank you

You are welcome and that is what I am here for!  ;D

Offline gumboots_smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 01:35:06 PM »
Hello , Another question if i may.I'm a bit  confused about the Non -proficiency bonus (page 57) as it relates to the proficiencies description (page 18)

Heres the relevant text,Page 57

Any character with Weapons Training will gain a Non-
Proficiency Bonus (NPB) that would be used for any Combat
skill in which he has no skill ranks

For comparison on page 18 Under proficiencies.

If you have a Proficiency, you get to use the full skill
bonus for it. If you do not have a Proficiency in a given
sub-skill, you get to use a bonus equal to +1 for every 5
ranks you have in the primary skill.

Is the difference between the two that,  the NPB can be used with any weapon regardless of whether it belongs to a subskill in your chosen proficiency

whereas the proficiencies Bonus only applies to subskills within your chosen combat proficiency

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 02:24:13 PM »
Basically Correct.

Essentially, any sort of combat training in any weapon is going to be useful for weapons where you have no specific training for.
If you know how to swing a sword, you can apply that to swinging a mace or a staff or a spear.

Now, the different groups of weapons under a given skill (i.e. Chains Plus and Clubs under Bludgeoning) follow the standard proficiency bonus rules, the NPB just extends those rules to the other melee combat skills since the various melee combat skills are considered kinda related as well. (does that make sense?)

ALso, in case you have not seen -- I have been posting pre-gen characters in the Downloads sections of the site (and the Downloads forum as well).

Offline gumboots_smithy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 03:24:43 PM »
Ah ok.That makes sense.I wasn't sure if i was reading it right.Thanks

I'll definitely check out those pre-gens. I need all the help i can get!

By the way I'm really enjoying the new system ,even though i haven't had a chance to play it yet.Lots of great details in there,really well fleshed out.

Also, So much content in one book! . I'll  be picking up a physical copy when it drops

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 04:15:23 PM »
I'll definitely check out those pre-gens. I need all the help i can get!

Cool! I still have a minimum of 4 to do for the quickstart I am working on currently. I may even do a efw more beyond teh ones I need (once I get the Quickstart done, so that I can have examples of all the Training Paths....

By the way I'm really enjoying the new system ,even though i haven't had a chance to play it yet.Lots of great details in there,really well fleshed out.

awww... thank you!

Also, So much content in one book! . I'll  be picking up a physical copy when it drops

It should be available for sale on DriveThru before the end of the month (plus I will be using DTRPG to hand out coupons to everybody who already purchased the PDFs).