Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Random Questions  (Read 269 times)

Offline luzbel

• View Profile
Random Questions
« on: February 17, 2022, 07:56:36 AM »
I have a batch of questions. Excuse me If some of the questions are a result of bad reading or are things answered before.

Pg 53. In critical damage it reads as "The severity is based upon the total number of Hits delivered when compared again the targets
Constitution and Stamina." I guess CON reference is a typo.

Pg. 67. It looks like 4CP combat move for double attack in Two Weapon Combat is a copy paste from Double Weapon 4CP double attack that scaped a later change. Both talk about how the primary attack is the "head" of the weapon.

Pg. 70. There is a referencie to "Types of Spell Users (p. 64)" in the left column. Reference is wrong.

Pg. 73. Same as before. Right column, "he can always Cancel this Counterspell (p. 51)". Correct reference is p. 56.
            In the same page, in the counterspell example magecraft roll to identify should be 18 (15+fatigue used for the 3 points infernal bolt)     instead of 20.

Pg. 62. Dodge. It gives you +3 to Init instead of +3 to DT.

Now the things Im a little lost.

The only reason to buy a Combat Style is to buy more than 1 move per every 3 ranks? No discount?

No more requisites to gain +3 DT with main gauche beyond grasping it and no attack? Why use a non full shield ever?

Can you push skill with combat rolls?

Core Resolution is 15 but using essentials salts and spell save is 14+1 per....; I know minimun save is going to be 15 but looks weird to me.

When you sneak on a target you get +4 AB and one fate point but when you surprise an enemy you only get +4 AB. Why not fate points?? Enemy is going to abort to full parry anyway.

Can you snap move to be cautious walking around enemy and hitting in the back? In this kind of games I always rule that enemy can react to change facing to every perceived enemy move inside his control zone.

Brawling legsweep and brawling throw do the exact same thing but legsweep does damage and have an Init bonus.

I cant get a good understanding of the diference between Extra base damage and Extra scaled damage in the fate table. Why use the first one?

Combat maneuvers:

Full Out attack is +2 AP, so you cant use it with huge weapong. Same with killing strike. Is that on purpose??

I guess that if you fail dive for cover save you dont get the base +3 DT but can you  move anyway?

Fierce attack have the same cost than full out attack but have no AP cost and only -1 DT. Why use Full out??

Feint cost +4 AP. Do you need to feint one turn and attack the next one? Is really 4 AP instead of +4? In the late case does matter the weapon size used??

AP cost in martial arts combat moves gives me headache, some have some have not. I avoid the section till I have a good grasp of the system but It looks like Iron Palm move lacks some stats.

Are Undead inmune to stun and bleed??

I dont use to write this kind of post in any game I buy. I use to look around in the forums and fix myself what is wrong or looks wrong. This game really surprised me in a good way and Im trying to be helpful. Thx anyway to whoever read till here and sorry for the language defiling.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Random Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 08:10:51 AM »
FIrst off, please make sure that you have downloaded the latest versions, and it is also important if you identify if you have the Bare Bones or full version (Yes, I realize you have the Full version).

ALso when giving page numbers, please use the numbers on the page in question (not what page Acrobat Reader says you are on, since it counts the cover as a page which can throw off my finding it.

Now to scrub through and see if I can answer all your questions.. heheh

Offline luzbel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 08:27:10 AM »
Full version. Downloaded two days ago. I used real page numbers not pdf.

Thx.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 09:22:28 AM »
I have a batch of questions. Excuse me If some of the questions are a result of bad reading or are things answered before.

Pg 53. In critical damage it reads as "The severity is based upon the total number of Hits delivered when compared again the targets
Constitution and Stamina." I guess CON reference is a typo.

More of an artifact of previous iterations (at one point, Con was the measure, and then Stamina, and then Stamina+, but it was later changed to just Stamina & Stamina+.

Though technically, since Stamina is based on Con.....   :)  hehe

Pg. 67. It looks like 4CP combat move for double attack in Two Weapon Combat is a copy paste from Double Weapon 4CP double attack that scaped a later change. Both talk about how the primary attack is the "head" of the weapon.

Yup....  I wish you had posted all this last week... I will definitely have to make an errata page now (as I am not making any more changes (which would delay print version even more)

Pg. 70. There is a referencie to "Types of Spell Users (p. 64)" in the left column. Reference is wrong.

Let me go find a wall to bang my head against... The page reference is correct, if it were in the Bare Bones PDF.... When I was making corrections, I did not realize that my copy/paste from one manuscript brought over the reference AND that it still links to the Bare Bones PDF (if you click on it, it leads to the other PDF if you have it in the same folder)

Pg. 73. Same as before. Right column, "he can always Cancel this Counterspell (p. 51)". Correct reference is p. 56.
            In the same page, in the counterspell example magecraft roll to identify should be 18 (15+fatigue used for the 3 points infernal bolt)     instead of 20.

Doh!

Pg. 62. Dodge. It gives you +3 to Init instead of +3 to DT.

It should give +3 to DT as well

Now the things Im a little lost.

The only reason to buy a Combat Style is to buy more than 1 move per every 3 ranks? No discount?

Umm... the Combat Moves that are part of a Style cost a bit less than if purchased outside of them. For example,  Shield Parry costs 4 CP if purchased outside the style, but only 2 CP if purchased within, Shield Ram cost 5 CP normally, and 2 2 points within the style....

Moves get up to a 3 point discount, to a minimum of 1 point (one or two have less than 3, usually if subtracting 3 would reduced cost to zero orif it had a prerequisite and would have ended up at a cost of 1).

No more requisites to gain +3 DT with main gauche beyond grasping it and no attack? Why use a non full shield ever?

Only if you have skill in using it.... (i.e. you only gain +3 if doing a Full Parry or equivalent move)

Can you push skill with combat rolls?

yes

Core Resolution is 15 but using essentials salts and spell save is 14+1 per....; I know minimun save is going to be 15 but looks weird to me.

yeah, I know, but it was the best way I could figure in saying it... hehe

When you sneak on a target you get +4 AB and one fate point but when you surprise an enemy you only get +4 AB. Why not fate points?? Enemy is going to abort to full parry anyway.

Intent.... Sneak attacks are intentional... (and you can end up surprising the target as well). Surprise in general is never something you look for.... Remember the general premise of Surprise is that you and the foe come across each other unawares... And it is a perception roll to determine if either side is affected by surprise...

Can you snap move to be cautious walking around enemy and hitting in the back? In this kind of games I always rule that enemy can react to change facing to every perceived enemy move inside his control zone.

Note how there is not any action point costs for changing facing.... While not explicit, it is presumed that a combatant will change facing to have front towards enemy (the only exception would be if facing multiple foes and they split up to be on opposite sides and one attacks while the other side-steps to make a rear attack...)

Brawling legsweep and brawling throw do the exact same thing but legsweep does damage and have an Init bonus.

Yup. The Move used would be based on what the attacker wants to do...... Are you trying to hurt him? Do a legsweep. Just trying to put him on his butt? do a throw. Also, there may be limitations due to the terrain (i.e. in a bar room) that might prevent a legsweep (other bodies or furniture, etc) making throw the only choice...

I cant get a good understanding of the diference between Extra base damage and Extra scaled damage in the fate table. Why use the first one?

IIRC, I had some options/rules that were based on the amount of Base Damage dealt (will be adding them back in in later products)

But still, say you have a weapon that 6 points of Base Damage that means it can do up to 12 hits of scaled damage, so 6-18 hits total

1d10 of Base, makes it 7-16 Base damage, 1-12 scaled, for 7-28 total

1d10 Scaled, make is 6 base and 2-22 scaled, for 8-28 hits total

BUT, if I had let the extra base affect scaled too.....

1d10 base, makes it 7-16 base, and a max of 14 to 32 points of scaled, for a possible of a much greater bonus than it would normally be....

Combat maneuvers:

Full Out attack is +2 AP, so you cant use it with huge weapong. Same with killing strike. Is that on purpose??

In the section about declaring actions, it mentions that character may sometimes declare actions that take more than 5 AP, and it is up to the GM to decide, does it resolve THIS round with penalty next, or does it simply resolve next round...

I guess that if you fail dive for cover save you dont get the base +3 DT but can you  move anyway?

Yes, failure only mean no bonus, but the move is still done (and the AP are spent)

Fierce attack have the same cost than full out attack but have no AP cost and only -1 DT. Why use Full out??

Not every move is appropriate for every weapon, and some moves will be available in styles while others are not.

Feint cost +4 AP. Do you need to feint one turn and attack the next one? Is really 4 AP instead of +4? In the late case does matter the weapon size used??

Feint -- The foe makes a Save roll, if they fail, they think you are making one attack while you are making a different one (and you get the bonuses), they succeed, and you do not get them.... and it should be +1 AP, not +4 typo... (4 key is just above the 1 on the numberpad... doh!

AP cost in martial arts combat moves gives me headache, some have some have not. I avoid the section till I have a good grasp of the system but It looks like Iron Palm move lacks some stats.

Page 63, last paragraph before the Basic Martial Arts Moves.... Unless otherwise indicated, all Martial Arts Moves take a Half Action (2 AP)

Are Undead inmune to stun and bleed??

No, deapending on how you define them... For example, a Skeleton would be immune to bleeding from blood loss.... However, they would not be immune to you shattering a bone that keeps losing bits each round, which in turn reduces their capabilities, but is called "Bleeding" because that is the damage mechanism that best fits.....

And remember, Stun equals Dazed, Shaken, Staggered, and could be reflected as them being off balance (think of a movie where the undead has its head knocked off and it juggles it for a minute or so before plopping it back on and going back on the attack... I would say that undead had been "stunned"

I dont use to write this kind of post in any game I buy. I use to look around in the forums and fix myself what is wrong or looks wrong. This game really surprised me in a good way and Im trying to be helpful. Thx anyway to whoever read till here and sorry for the language defiling.

No worries, I understood you quite well.

every_tragedian

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 10:07:28 AM »
Hey, I'm not the original poster but i also just started reading the Novus 2e Deluxe edition (latest download). I'm still working my way through it and I had one question, and also caught some minor grammar/formatting errors.

So on pg-50, in the Dire Wounds section, 2nd paragraph, it says "If a character has received one or more Dire Wounds, he receives a -3 modifier per wound to all actions and his DT." On pg-53 however, in the Wounds section it states, "Dire – Gives a -6 modifier per wound to all actions and DT."

So Dire Wounds, -3 or -6 modifier?

Grammar/Formatting Errors:

- pg-6, Select Race and/or Kindred Talents example paragraph, Major Human Kindred Talent    -(Is missing a period at the end of sentence.)
- pg-12, 4th Paragraph, first line, The  -(missing the T in The at the start of the paragraph.)
- pg-19 & pg-30, Background Options, in the Drawbacks Table, Distinctive Habit -(has two spaces between the words, remove 1 space.)

Thx for your time  ;D

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 10:14:31 AM »
Hey, I'm not the original poster but i also just started reading the Novus 2e Deluxe edition (latest download). I'm still working my way through it and I had one question, and also caught some minor grammar/formatting errors.

So on pg-50, in the Dire Wounds section, 2nd paragraph, it says "If a character has received one or more Dire Wounds, he receives a -3 modifier per wound to all actions and his DT." On pg-53 however, in the Wounds section it states, "Dire – Gives a -6 modifier per wound to all actions and DT."

So Dire Wounds, -3 or -6 modifier?

-3 (which is also what it says on the character sheet)

Grammar/Formatting Errors:

- pg-6, Select Race and/or Kindred Talents example paragraph, Major Human Kindred Talent    -(Is missing a period at the end of sentence.)
- pg-12, 4th Paragraph, first line, The  -(missing the T in The at the start of the paragraph.)
- pg-19 & pg-30, Background Options, in the Drawbacks Table, Distinctive Habit -(has two spaces between the words, remove 1 space.)

Thx for your time  ;D

I really need an emjoi banging its head against the wall........ sigh........

every_tragedian

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 10:20:22 AM »
Thanks again for the quick response & all the work you do. ;D

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 10:38:06 AM »
Thanks again for the quick response & all the work you do. ;D

You are welcome, and also welcome to the forums (to both posters!)

Offline luzbel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 02:15:54 PM »
Thx  for that quick answer. I really apreciate it.  :)

Offline luzbel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2022, 04:45:12 AM »
Some more:

- Pg. 103, under Secondary Damage: "The type of Secondary Damage dealt is based on the type of attack (see p. 47)." I think the correct number is page 53.

- Pg. 103, End of Dire Wounds: "Once a character reaches zero Hits, Minor Wounds, Major Wounds, and Dire Wounds, he is automatically knocked unconscious (no Save).".  In pg. 105 under Death & Dying the rules are diferent and you need to save. I bet for later rules to be correct.

- I understand that wound penalties are acumulative. i.e. you have 3 minor and 1 mayor and you have -5 total penalty from wounds. You can find references in several places, even in the character sheet. But there a couple of phrases that I dont understand:

Pg. 104, Penalties & Unconsciousness: "Penalties from Wounds is tracked separately from all other sources of penalties and only the greater value is applied to the character."

Pg. 104, Minor Wounds: "The penalty from having taken one or more Minor Wounds remains until all Minor Wounds are healed."

My understanding is that all wounds are acumulative, you reduce the penalty when you heal every individual wound and later references must be obliterated.

Thx.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2022, 09:32:59 AM »
Some more:

- Pg. 103, under Secondary Damage: "The type of Secondary Damage dealt is based on the type of attack (see p. 47)." I think the correct number is page 53.

Ugh... Anther place where I had been changing both versions and  did a copy paste without realizing that the reference changed... sheesh...

- Pg. 103, End of Dire Wounds: "Once a character reaches zero Hits, Minor Wounds, Major Wounds, and Dire Wounds, he is automatically knocked unconscious (no Save).".  In pg. 105 under Death & Dying the rules are diferent and you need to save. I bet for later rules to be correct.

Once all Hits and Wounds are gone, they should be unconscious, no Save. Hoever, the Save mentioned in Death & Dying would be needed to prevent that Stamina loss (and once Stamina hits zero, they are dead.

- I understand that wound penalties are acumulative. i.e. you have 3 minor and 1 mayor and you have -5 total penalty from wounds. You can find references in several places, even in the character sheet. But there a couple of phrases that I dont understand:

Pg. 104, Penalties & Unconsciousness: "Penalties from Wounds is tracked separately from all other sources of penalties and only the greater value is applied to the character."

Yes, you can get stand-along penalties (i.e. like a -2 from one critical, that does not involve a Wound.

If you also have a -1 from a Wound, that does not give a -3, you would only apply the -2 since it is the larger value. (the -1 from the wound remains until the wound heals, so if if the penalties are healed before that wound, you would then have the -1 from the wound since it is now a larger value than the generla penalties....

Pg. 104, Minor Wounds: "The penalty from having taken one or more Minor Wounds remains until all Minor Wounds are healed."

My understanding is that all wounds are acumulative, you reduce the penalty when you heal every individual wound and later references must be obliterated.

Penalties from wounds are cumulative. That Penalty cannot be healed using magic, herbs or anything else until the Wound is healed. (i.e. if you have 3 Minor and 1 Major Wound (-5), you cannot use the Heal Malus casting option of the Heal Bruise spell to reduce that penalty.

To reduce that -5, you have to heal wounds. Once the Major Wound Heals (through time, magic or other means), the penalty from that Major Wound (-2) goes away as well, so you are left with a -3. Once one of those Minor Wounds heals, that -3 drops to -2, and so forth...

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 11:39:22 AM »
too many broken page references... I found even more that were broken.....

Thus, updating the PDFs (which will mean no POD until late next week) and will be updating them on DTRPG later today.

Here is the list of updates so far....

Clarified text under Crictal Damage on Page 53
Clarified 4 CP Ability under Two Weapon Combat style on page 67
Corrected a number of Page references/Crosslinks that were pointing at the Bare Bones file
Added missing DT adjustment for Dodge Combat Move
Corrected penalty per Dire wound on page 53
Reworded Kindred Talents to clarify that those are CP costs and also fixed an incorrect reference to halflings
Changed Kindred Talents to use Stat abbreviations to save space
Fixed missing letter in 4th paragraph on page 12
Corrected extra space between words in both Background Options tables
Rewrote Death & Dying section so that it does not conflict with other locations and clerifying it as well.
Clarified that Penalties from Wounds disappear as the Wounds heal

So, any more corrections you find in the next 4 hours, post them here so that I can fix them.....

Offline luzbel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2022, 06:14:53 PM »
If Still in time...

Why is there no option for extra standard action in fate story table? Just 1, 2 and 4 ap options, no 3 or 5.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 06:43:43 PM by luzbel »

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2022, 07:10:01 PM »
If Still in time...

Why is there no option for extra standard action in fate story table? Just 1, 2 and 4 ap options, no 3 or 5.

Because at the time that the table was written, there wasn't a standard (3 AP) action at that time....

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2022, 09:01:32 PM »
If Still in time...

and fixed (for the standard, but not for a Full Round)