Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Using HARP attack tables with Novus 1e & 2e  (Read 127 times)

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Using HARP attack tables with Novus 1e & 2e
« on: February 18, 2022, 01:17:17 PM »
Howdy, if you are interested in how to use HARP attack tables with Novus 1e or 2e it's pretty simple.

There are Three factors that you'll have to customize: 1) the Novus attack sizes need Damage modifiers instead of Base Damage values, 2) Armor has to be assigned a Damage Modifier instead of an Armor Rating, and 3) the roll results on the HARP attack table.

1) The Novus Attack sizes already align with the HARP attack sizes. So really all you have to do is recalculate the HARP damage modifier into a 2d10 resolution mechanic by dividing it by 5 and do the same with the Damage Cap. So,

Huge +4 / 24
Large +2 /22
Medium +0/20
Small -2/18
Tiny -4/16

2) Armor works basically except that to properly balance with the 2d10 system rather than the d100 system you need to rebalance the base Armors as SL +2, RL +4, CH +6, SC +8, PL +10

3) The HARP attack tables use increments of 10 as tiers of damage. this will get a little wonky in a pure math sense to all we do is reinterpret them as each being 2 increments of +1, starting with +0.

so in Novus that would look like this:
(-4)-(-3)
(-2)-(-1)
+0 - +1
+2 - +3
+4 - +5
+6 - +7
+8 - +9
+10 - +11
+12 - +13
+14 - +15
+16 - +17
+18 - +19
+20 - +21
+22

Overall, this is really easy to implement in game. The one thing that you might want to be careful of is setting the base Defense as 13+modifiers rather than 15+ modifiers for PCs. I tapped this out at work so let me know if I missed anyhting!

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Using HARP attack tables with Novus 1e & 2e
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 01:31:41 PM »
How are you reading the tables after your conversions?

As amount over a specific TN?  A amount under/over DT? Are you adding armors to the DT in this case, after your rebalancing?

Just off the top of my head...

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2022, 03:38:40 PM »
Howdy,

So, I used Novus 1e. At the time it was just called Defense & Armor Rating. So, the Attack Roll - Defense + Armor Rating (net attack roll) would make it the same formula as in HARP. Your net attack roll would be compared to the attack Table.

So, an attack roll of 23 vs a Defense of 14 + Armor Rating of +4 would be 23-(14+4)=+5. On the scale I provided that would be the +4 - +5 result (equal to a 21-30) on the HARP tables. A Slash attack would yield: Solid blow to his back, but work on that
follow through. 9 Hits

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2022, 05:03:24 PM »
Howdy,

So, I used Novus 1e. At the time it was just called Defense & Armor Rating. So, the Attack Roll - Defense + Armor Rating (net attack roll) would make it the same formula as in HARP. Your net attack roll would be compared to the attack Table.

So, an attack roll of 23 vs a Defense of 14 + Armor Rating of +4 would be 23-(14+4)=+5. On the scale I provided that would be the +4 - +5 result (equal to a 21-30) on the HARP tables. A Slash attack would yield: Solid blow to his back, but work on that
follow through. 9 Hits

Ahh.. I guess over the last 10 years, I had forgotten how that worked hehehe