Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Idea! Novus Primer  (Read 200 times)

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Idea! Novus Primer
« on: February 24, 2022, 11:11:01 AM »
Ok, just had a thought... And a way to improve the quickstart...

What I am thinking is something along the lines of a 2-10 (max) primer on playing Novus, something that can be included in the quickstarts and that can aid those who never played the game before.

So to do this, what do you think is required for it. Please note that I am not planning on including any sort of Character Generation at all.

Only what is needed for a player to know how to play.

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Re: Idea! Novus Primer
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 04:28:11 PM »
So, sort of a walk through of the rolls and gameplay?

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 06:41:27 PM »
So, sort of a walk through of the rolls and gameplay?

I had been thinking of taking one of the Pre-gens and starting with the basics (i.e. success = 15+ on roll )  and then explaining things from there...

like a cheat sheet on what is what and how it is user.

I want to make clear that skills can be versatile and that is why we do not add stats to them, but do add relevant stats to rolls using those skills, explaining what 8 Mace (10) actually means and so forth....

I am thinking of what sort of information will a player need if he has never played Novus before and is sitting down with a pre-gen... that sort of thing....

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 07:56:03 AM »
Right. Like a walk-through of game play. It would be cool to do it as a 1 player choose your own adventure style - you could choose your actions, make your rolls and follow hyper links in a document.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 08:42:31 AM »
Right. Like a walk-through of game play. It would be cool to do it as a 1 player choose your own adventure style - you could choose your actions, make your rolls and follow hyper links in a document.

ROFL Now you being all sorts of fancy....

My initial idea is a simple small doc that could be referenced by folks who never played Novus who are sitting down with the quickstart (I would expect the GM to know Novus)

But on another note, a Combat Example would likely be a very good thing to have as well....

But none of that is what I am trying to come up with for a primer...

What I am looking for in this thread is a list of things that should be in such a quick explanatory document for a roleplayer, who has played other games, to be able to pick up dice and a pre-generated character and jump right into playing

For example

Pulling up the Pre-gen for Tyln the Dwarven Warrior

we would want to explain Hits, and Wounds, and CrTs and what they mean, along with bisoc rolls  and then how basic rolls and skills work together (and how stats fit into that)

In other words what information is absolutely required (by any experienced roleplayer) for them to quickly understand the basics on how Novus works (again, if they pick up a pre-gen, what do they need to know about how the system works to play.

I know I would want to include how spell casting works (i.e. Fatigue costs and how you can choose final form of spell after casting roll, but I would not explain spell costs, not in this document,etc...

While I would be including small examples, I don't want to do long extended examples (not for this, those would belong elsewhere)

another question, while I would have to explain the round and the 4 phases, what Actions should be included and which ones could I leave out of a general primer.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 08:55:15 AM by Rasyr »

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 12:41:40 PM »
So, almost like a conversion doc =

Hit Points = Hit Points

DEF (Defense) = The number that an attack must equal or exceed to land a blow in combat

AR (Armor Rating) = The number that is subtracted from the total Damage, etc.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 01:40:32 PM »
So, almost like a conversion doc =

Hit Points = Hit Points

DEF (Defense) = The number that an attack must equal or exceed to land a blow in combat

AR (Armor Rating) = The number that is subtracted from the total Damage, etc.

Yup, thinkgs ike that (formatted nicely)

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 07:23:35 PM »
Break it into ......of Skill....of Arms...of Magic.....to be cheeky

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2022, 12:50:12 AM »
A discussion about fate and how it works and is needed including an explanation of its expandable nature. It is not something to keep at all cost but a meta-coin tou can spend and earn.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 11:26:18 AM »
Almost done the Primer and will pagemake it this evening most likely.

ALso found some ## on some of the Pre-gens and one Pregen with incorrect DT (AR)  which I have fixed and need to update in both the quickstart and the individual files in the downloads section.

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2022, 09:47:17 AM »
Maybe the Primer should be included with a Quick Start and set of characters so you can have it reference those two docs?

Have already included it with the "In Search of Jafry" quickstart and Pregens (avaiable on both DTRPG and in Downloads section here).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 09:52:56 AM by Rasyr »