Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Help with Frenzy  (Read 192 times)

Offline markc

• View Profile
Help with Frenzy
« on: February 25, 2022, 02:37:49 PM »
A friend of mine bought Novus 2e and gave me the rules to read and comment on, one question I have is with the skill frenzy and how it works in combat.
1) If I remember correctly it states when in frenzy you ignore would penalties, to me this seems very powerful with what limited experience I have with the combat system. Is this the case?
2) One thought I had was to provide a value that you can ignore of wound penalties, so if you had X ranks in the skill you ignore A amount of penalties. In other words you ability to ignore more serious and cumulative wounds increases as you gain ranks.
3) Can you provide a combat example in which there is not an issue and any in which you see issues.
MDC 

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Frenzy
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 04:16:19 PM »
A friend of mine bought Novus 2e and gave me the rules to read and comment on, one question I have is with the skill frenzy and how it works in combat.
1) If I remember correctly it states when in frenzy you ignore would penalties, to me this seems very powerful with what limited experience I have with the combat system. Is this the case?
2) One thought I had was to provide a value that you can ignore of wound penalties, so if you had X ranks in the skill you ignore A amount of penalties. In other words you ability to ignore more serious and cumulative wounds increases as you gain ranks.
3) Can you provide a combat example in which there is not an issue and any in which you see issues.
MDC

He ignores all damage while Frenzied (it is still taken), it only applies once the character leaves Frenzy. However, Stuns (Shaken or Staggered) will, if received, immediately knock the character out of frenzy, and then such damage is applied. And once knocked out, they cannot re-enter for a number of minutes equal to number of rounds spent frenzied (i.e. you frenzy for 2 rounds, you have to wait 2 minutes (24 rounds) before you can try again..

So, it is possible for a character to be killed and not realize it until they leave frenzy. It is also posssible and likely that they Frenzied character may attack friends too....

Offline markc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 01:24:25 PM »
Thanks that makes sense to me.
MDC

Offline markc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 11:25:16 PM »
So the combat maneuver Jab, which inflicts the dazed condition would knock a person out of frenzy?
Also it does not state it but does thrust also give the dazed condition?
Thanks
MDC

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 08:40:16 AM »
So the combat maneuver Jab, which inflicts the dazed condition would knock a person out of frenzy?
Nope

Quote from:  the description of Frenzy
A frenzied character will ignore all damage that he
receives until he leaves the frenzy. However, getting Stunned
(Shaken or Staggered only) will cause him to be knocked out
of the frenzy

I highlighted the important bit....   ;D

Shaken or Staggered only.... So, the lightest form of Stun is just stockpiled with other damage until he receives a heavier stun or comes out of the frenzy on his own.

Also it does not state it but does thrust also give the dazed condition?

Nope, some moves may require knowing other moves, but not all such will be direct increases in power, some will just be Move A gives you the basic forms and knowledge to properly learn Move B as well...

In this case, the Jab is a short, swift poking which can put the foe off -balance (i.e. dazed 1 round), the Thrust however, it a more of a lunge (in thinking in terms of fencing), but the Thrust is also going to less sudden than the jab, thus not knocking foe off balance (unless the actual damage does that...)

Offline markc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 01:09:39 PM »
Thanks for the info I remembered the 3 levels of stun but not the exact text of Frenzy.
I am going to need to make some PC's and run some combat to get a better feel of the system.
MDC

Offline markc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2022, 01:37:44 PM »
A side question from a novice, it seams as if to me most PC's/NPC's would either have frenzy or a combat style and or both, I would guess 90% have frenzy and/or a style. Does that seem right to you based on your experience?
MDC 

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2022, 04:26:28 PM »
Thanks for the info I remembered the 3 levels of stun but not the exact text of Frenzy.
I am going to need to make some PC's and run some combat to get a better feel of the system.

If you look in the Downloads section, I have a bunch of pre-generated characters already listed there (made for use with the QuickStart adventurer

A side question from a novice, it seams as if to me most PC's/NPC's would either have frenzy or a combat style and or both, I would guess 90% have frenzy and/or a style. Does that seem right to you based on your experience?

The downside of Frenzy is that they cannot tell friend from foe and thus likely will live short lives. HOwever, Combat Styles would definitely be more likely something folks would have (remember Frenzied folks cannot use a style while frenzied).