Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Errata & FAQ Thread  (Read 1772 times)

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Errata & FAQ Thread
« on: March 27, 2022, 11:35:47 AM »
Ok, you may not have noticed yet, but the menu on the left (if viewing this on a screen that allows the menus to be on the left rather than below the content -- i.e. on a mobile device) for Novus 2nd Edition now has a new link under it.

That being the link for Novus 2e Errata/FAQ, which takes you to this page --> https://www.firehawkgames.biz/index.php?page=2eerrata

I have found 3 items that needed errata. Two of which are where I missed changing the word Stun to Shaken on a couple of spells. And the third is a spell where I had the wrong duration listed in one of the casting options.

If you spot any more errors or mistakes that need correcting, or things that you think need FAQ entries, please post them in this thread so that I can put them on the page with the others.

every_tragedian

Re: Errata & FAQ Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 12:48:17 PM »
So I've been slowly reading the RPG and I think I found a few things:

Spelling + Errors
[pg-97] under Advantages &  Complications > Major Complication paragraph - *dissiculty* should be *difficulty*.
[pg-54] 2nd column, 2nd paragraph > "Any declared action that *alter*" (should be *alters* instead of alter)
[pg-72] Spell Cost Table and description under Types of Spell Users is different:
    Hybrid-  paragraph says quadruple the "Non" cost, Spell Cost Table says Mn+Mj.
    Non-Caster-  paragraph says five times the "N" cost, Spell Cost Table says 2xN.

Just want to say the despite how quiet the forum is, I really appreciate all the work you've put into Novus  :)

I also had a few questions:
 1. I'm trying to understand the percentage change of success when doing skill rolls. Also because the die explodes it's hard for me to visualize this. For example, how much is a +1 increase of a skill or stat?
 2. Combat is still difficult for me to grasp. Specifically how Hits and Wounds (and their penalties) work together in combat. I think a combat example would really help out.

Thx again!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 10:07:31 AM by every_tragedian »

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 12:03:54 PM »
Thanks for those errors.

and I will see about putting together a combat example.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 09:02:18 AM »
Page 80 -- the spell Blessing,

The CTN says 26, but it should be a CTN of 21

The cost of the spell should be (Mj 3/Mn 4/N 5)
And the Fatigue cost should be 2.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 12:49:09 PM »
I have added some more errata

For the Divine spells, Fearless and Omen

Note: regarding this new spate of errata, I am working on the spell creation rules, making sure that all the spells match the actual rules as I get them written out fully. In doing so, I am discovering that a few spells are not correct in certain aspects, so I am adding errata for them as I go along.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2022, 09:07:29 AM »
Added Errata for Charm Person under High Magic

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 04:49:20 PM »
A few more items of errata added, and that finishes off the Casters.

I have to do the 2 Hybrids, doublechecking the costing on their spells, but once done those 20 spells, that will finalize the spell creation rules (and then I just used them to doublecheck all of the other 110+ spells, but there won't be any errata for those since htey have not been published yet.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 10:47:19 AM »
And the Spell Errata is complete!!!!!!

what this means is that the Spell Creation rules are essentially done. Now, I will still have to go back over all of the other spells to doublecheck thier costs, but those are all spells that have not yet been published. So they would not be considered Errata.

If I can get the 20 spells that I still need to recost for Libram Secundus done today, I will be able to release it tomorrow.

Offline Falcon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 03:14:18 PM »
I know putting together such a complex system with so few ressources is a huge feat. So it's not meant to devaluate the hard work when I list the errors I noticed so far (minus the ones above), it's just a professional habit of mine to make notes when reviewing documents. I hope it helps.

(a combat example would be awesome, btw.)

[pg-26] under Perception >  ..if they are looking for something the wrong - something , the wrong (with comma, imho)
[pg-28] under Trickery >  ..used in picking the pockets individuals - the pockets of individuals
[pg-46] under Attack Bonus > ..even filled out what equipment that he is carrying - not sure, would remove "that"
[pg-47] under Character Points > ..including any additional CP the extra that can - would remove "the"
[pg-57] under NPB > ..would be used for any Combat Skill skill in which - would remove "skill"
[pg-60] under Combat Moves > CP: This is the Character Point cost - the Combat Move Format lists this as "Cost:" not "CP:"
[pg-61] under Melee > ..Advanced Moves may only be use with combat skills - be used
[pg-66] under Combat Styles > Character may know one of the 7 Moves or 3 Abilities from the Style  - A Character..
[pg-96] under Cantrips > ..In the worst such cases - In the worst of such cases
[pg-96] under Pushing Skills > He does this my taking 2 points of Fatigue - by taking
[pg-97] under Minor Advantage > ..reduces the total TN by 3 points.This would.. - points._This (blank space)
[pg-98] under Balance > If the surface in between 2 and 6 inches - is (in) between
[pg-98] under Perform > This applies to most Specialties the Perform skill - most Specialties of the Perform skill
[pg-100] under Disarm Traps > ..treating it as a related skill roll.The difficulty - roll._The (blank space)
[pg-104] under Healing Damage > These healing times are details below - ..are detailed below.
[pg-104] under Vitality > This means lying down and not doing anything except perhaps sleeping - why perhaps? What would be less than sleeping?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 03:15:49 PM by Falcon »

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2022, 03:33:12 PM »
I am not gonna comment on the various spelling/word choice error, and focus on the actual questions (but definitely thank you, at some point, I will be updating both the PDF and print versions with all these minor type corrections).

(a combat example would be awesome, btw.)

On my list of things to get done.... heheh

[pg-104] under Vitality > This means lying down and not doing anything except perhaps sleeping - why perhaps? What would be less than sleeping?

The idea was to say things like reading or doing other small tasks while lying down do not constitute "complete rest", and I have had had at least one GMs in the past who tried to say sleeping or meditating  was not the same as "complete rest". Thus the wording was an attempt to short-circuit that type of argument.

Offline Falcon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2022, 03:15:24 PM »
[pg-55] Upkeep Phase
There are somewhat lengthy passages that explain how newly acquired stuns only take effect in the following round and are not subtracted from existing stuns. This explanation is necessary because the subphases are in a wrong timing order.
If you would just switch "Adding Ascquired Stuns" and "Subtract Existing Stuns" in the upkeep phase so
1. Subtract Existing Stuns
2. Adding Acquired Stuns
There is no room for misconception any more, as the timing is correct now and the new stuns take effect automatically by abiding the rules. This way you could get rid of some filler text.

Just a minor thing but it would drive me crazy would I do the editing  ;D

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2022, 04:29:25 PM »
[pg-55] Upkeep Phase
There are somewhat lengthy passages that explain how newly acquired stuns only take effect in the following round and are not subtracted from existing stuns. This explanation is necessary because the subphases are in a wrong timing order.
If you would just switch "Adding Ascquired Stuns" and "Subtract Existing Stuns" in the upkeep phase so
1. Subtract Existing Stuns
2. Adding Acquired Stuns
There is no room for misconception any more, as the timing is correct now and the new stuns take effect automatically by abiding the rules. This way you could get rid of some filler text.

Just a minor thing but it would drive me crazy would I do the editing  ;D

Good Suggestion for when I update the manuscript.

Offline Falcon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2022, 06:30:38 AM »
I'm really excited about an updated version because I want to have all my RPGs in use as print (I hope to get some players in a collective order). But it's hard to decide now with its understandably but nonetheless existing minor errors when a new version is coming around someday.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2022, 08:47:46 AM »
I'm really excited about an updated version because I want to have all my RPGs in use as print (I hope to get some players in a collective order). But it's hard to decide now with its understandably but nonetheless existing minor errors when a new version is coming around someday.

It will likely be a year or two at most before I get back to cleaning up any small errors in the core book (I am only one person) and I have other things I need to get out first.

However, since one of the things that I AM working on is the Libram Arcanis, and I am planning on it including all the magic stuff from the core rules, that will allow me to fix it there (which I have already done with the spell errata).

Oh, by the way, I included the  issue about Casting options before and after casting in the Errata page......

Offline Heimdallsgothi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2022, 03:29:28 PM »
Just a quick question
When/IF the errata will be incorporated into the 2E pdf at some point?