Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Rules for Hirelings and hiring PCs  (Read 285 times)

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Rules for Hirelings and hiring PCs
« on: April 12, 2022, 08:07:52 AM »
So, a question for the masses....based on the monetary rules in Novus, what would be the base cost for hiring on extra help for a party and also for a party to be hired into classic adventure scenarios like caravan guard etc?

Online Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rules for Hirelings and hiring PCs
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 09:52:30 AM »
So, a question for the masses....based on the monetary rules in Novus, what would be the base cost for hiring on extra help for a party and also for a party to be hired into classic adventure scenarios like caravan guard etc?

Good questions...

I had just a few weeks ago been looking at something along those lines, general monthly incomes and such..... I had been thinking of creating something along the lines of average incomes for  various proofessions.

Personally, I think it would depend on the merchant (i.e. his wealth) and the expected level of danger.

For example, for the adventure I already released for the quickstart, the PCs are paid 5 silvers each for what amounts to roughly a 2-3 week trip on a regular trade route. The only expectation of danger being the occasional wild animal and maybe a bandit raid (not common but not unheard of either). But that was for a jewel merchant with high value wares.

On average, I would say 1 copper to 1 bronze per day base, plus food, for caravan guards. Those more skilled would get more.

Higher end troops may get a silver piece down, and then the daily wages, with a bonus silver for any scraps that they get into....

In Novus, bronze and copper are more the standard than silver (yes, a lot of items cost bronze and up into silver, especially weapons, but those are items that require a lot of skill to make so selling one could leave a smith comfortable for a while (and may need to), where something like a quarterstaff costs only 5 coppers for a basic one (more exotic woods or such may increase the costs....)

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 10:59:05 AM »
This is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for. I'd like to factor into my games the relative value of the treasure etc. I was looking at magical items costs in Novus 1.0 for example and based on my estimated "living wage" of an average person which I decided was 16cp/day based on p.37 (2x Light Meals, 1x Normal Meal, and Good Lodgings). This of course does not account for any incremental costs for accumulating possessions or buying pints with your friends either.

D&D5E has rules for the cost of maintaining various standards of living in your down time etc. which always reminds me of the Conan graphic novels where he would be in a constant cycle of being rich then poor as he squandered his fortunes LOL

Online Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 11:00:48 AM »
yup exactly.....

Online Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 01:48:09 PM »
Some more information I have put together regarding wages.....
Type of WorkerWages/WeekWages/Day
Standard Hirelings (i.e. Caravan Guards)
Man-At-Arms (average guard)3 bp4 cp
Adventurers (high end guards)1 sp14 cp
Foot Soldiers
Light Foot Soldier3 bp4 cp
Medium Foot Soldier6 bp7 cp
Heavy Foot Soldier8 bp12 cp
Calvary (Riders in a Warband)
Light Calvary1 sp14 cp
Medium Calvary2 sp28 cp
Heavy Calvary3 sp4 bp
Archers
Short Bow Archer6 bp7 cp
Long Bow Archer8 bp12 cp
Other Hirelings
Engineer6 bp12 cp
Harper (resident)25 bp3 bp
Sage (resident)1 sp15 cp
Longshoreman7 bp1 bp
Craftsmen such as Masons/Carpenters
Grand Master2 sp3 bp
Master1 sp15 cp
Tradesman8 bp12 cp
Journeyman5 bp8 cp
Apprentice3 bp4 cp
Single Instance Hirelings
Harper (public performance) 3d10 cp; 1d10 bp (50% chance); 1 sp (5% chance)
Sage (Common Research)1 sp
Sage (Uncommon Research)5 sp
Sage (Rare/Illegal Research)1 gp
Note that "Resident" for the Harper and Sage means that they are hirelings in a Lord's hosehold