Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: General Combat Questions  (Read 382 times)

Offline Falcon

• View Profile
General Combat Questions
« on: May 21, 2022, 02:26:00 PM »
So I worked through the rules carefully a couple of times but some questions emerged that I can't answer myself. I hope the forum can help answering them. There may come up more in the future.

- Special Skill Frenzy (P. 29): Skill states "..limited to basic attacks (i.e. no Combat Moves)". But Basic Attacks are listed under "Basic Moves" which are also Combat Moves, right? So I guess Frenzy is limited to "Basic Moves ('i.e. no Advanced Moves)"?

- Critical Damage (P.53): There are these numbers in parantheses in the table like "Dazed (2)" without explanation. Is this the actual amount of that damage that I need to add up? So Minor (1) and Minor (2) would be three wounds?
I only ask this because on (P.104) I found this : "Stuns – [..]Each type of Stun lasts for one round, and they are applied one after the other, never at the same time.[..]". Then, I don't know what to make of Dazed (2) and such.

- Combat Moves (in general). I found out by process of elemination that the AP cost defines how to combine the moves. So "AP: X" means an actual action, but "AP: +/-X" is a move which only works in combination with another move (so with AP: X) . But on P.60 there is "Disarm" which seems to be the only move which doesn't have AP cost at all. So, do I have to use it with a basic attack for no additional cost? (maybe AP:+/-0 would be more accurate, then?).

- Damage types, (On P. 103) you have to inflict a couple of hits to generate wounds when vitality is 0. But it's rounded down. So if I hit a (maybe unconscious) foe with no minor wounds left with 4 hits (need 5), as I see it I don't inflict any damage at all then, right?

- Death & Dying (P. 105). Just to be sure, the TN increases by 1 each round. Is that independent on whether I succeed at the save or not (so when I fail it's actually -2 the next round, -1 from round counter and -1 from stamina loss)?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 02:29:26 PM by Falcon »

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: General Combat Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2022, 04:13:06 PM »
So I worked through the rules carefully a couple of times but some questions emerged that I can't answer myself. I hope the forum can help answering them. There may come up more in the future.

That is what we are here for....  :)

- Special Skill Frenzy (P. 29): Skill states "..limited to basic attacks (i.e. no Combat Moves)". But Basic Attacks are listed under "Basic Moves" which are also Combat Moves, right? So I guess Frenzy is limited to "Basic Moves ('i.e. no Advanced Moves)"?

Correct -- Limited to "Basic Attacks" only, no other Combat Moves.

- Critical Damage (P.53): There are these numbers in parantheses in the table like "Dazed (2)" without explanation. Is this the actual amount of that damage that I need to add up? So Minor (1) and Minor (2) would be three wounds?
I only ask this because on (P.104) I found this : "Stuns – [..]Each type of Stun lasts for one round, and they are applied one after the other, never at the same time.[..]". Then, I don't know what to make of Dazed (2) and such.

That is how many of htat type of damage. so "Stagger(2)" means Staggered for 2 rounds. And yes, Minor (1) and Minor (2) would be 3 Minor wounds in total.

Stuns (Dazed, Shaken, and Staggered). Staggered is the most severe, Dazed the least. So, if a target is Staggered 2 rounds and Dazed 1 round and receives both in the same round, that is 3 rounds of stun in total. The next round he is Staggered, the round after that he is Staggered still, and the third round he is Dazed.

Does that help you make sense of it (I come from a background of several decades playing Rolemaster, so something end up being instinctively understood for me, without my realizing that they may not for others.

- Combat Moves (in general). I found out by process of elemination that the AP cost defines how to combine the moves. So "AP: X" means an actual action, but "AP: +/-X" is a move which only works in combination with another move (so with AP: X) . But on P.60 there is "Disarm" which seems to be the only move which doesn't have AP cost at all. So, do I have to use it with a basic attack for no additional cost? (maybe AP:+/-0 would be more accurate, then?).

Anything without an AP cost or with a +/- AP cost would use the AP cost of the Basic Attack based on the weapon's size as its base. A Feint with a dagger takes less AP than a Feint with a broadsword...

- Damage types, (On P. 103) you have to inflict a couple of hits to generate wounds when vitality is 0. But it's rounded down. So if I hit a (maybe unconscious) foe with no minor wounds left with 4 hits (need 5), as I see it I don't inflict any damage at all then, right?

For something like that, for 4 hits, I would round up, and only round down if at or lower than the halfway point (i.e. 3 hits would not do a Wound, 4-8 hits would do 1 Wound, etc.. That should likely be errata to say just round off rather than round down.

- Death & Dying (P. 105). Just to be sure, the TN increases by 1 each round. Is that independent on whether I succeed at the save or not (so when I fail it's actually -2 the next round, -1 from round counter and -1 from stamina loss)?

Whether or not they pass the Save is not relevant. The TN increases 1 point each round. Failing the Save means that they lose a point of  Stamina (which makes passing later Saves even harder (as does the increasing TN of the Saves).

Offline Falcon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 06:25:07 PM »
@stun:
yes, that helped very much and that's the way I understood it at first. I already guessed the quote on P. 104 (see above) would likely be an error in the rules.

@rounding down for wounds:
Rounding down at the "mid" point was the only other possibility that I could think of. I don't know how it is called in english, a word by word translation of rounding this way would be "true rounding". Is that rounding off? I dunno.. but I know what you mean.

p.S.
Just some minor questions left in other aspects (such as magic) and I'm ready to go, I think :-)
My group and me are not familiar with Rolemaster but a lot of other skill based systems (RQ, GURPS, Harnmaster..). Announced to my gaming group today, I would GM a one shot for them in a few weeks and they're eager to try it out.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 08:35:36 PM »
@stun:
yes, that helped very much and that's the way I understood it at first. I already guessed the quote on P. 104 (see above) would likely be an error in the rules.

@rounding down for wounds:
Rounding down at the "mid" point was the only other possibility that I could think of. I don't know how it is called in english, a word by word translation of rounding this way would be "true rounding". Is that rounding off? I dunno.. but I know what you mean.

I believe we just say "round to nearest whole number" at least for those of use who are not mathameticians. :)

p.S.
Just some minor questions left in other aspects (such as magic) and I'm ready to go, I think :-)
My group and me are not familiar with Rolemaster but a lot of other skill based systems (RQ, GURPS, Harnmaster..). Announced to my gaming group today, I would GM a one shot for them in a few weeks and they're eager to try it out.

Well, I have the Search for Jafry module already out and am working on another quickstart that can be played in seccession (or seperately)

https://www.firehawkgames.biz/index.php?topic=19091.msg19330#msg19330 has a little information about the region it is set in. The  Search for Jary module is set on the way to that town, and the second module I am working on starts off in that town.

Or if you are running your game in a different setting and need some tips for how to modify  Novus for the setting (it is my belief that one should ALWAYS modify the system to meet the setting, never the other way around), just ask and I will be more than happy to help.