Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: What should be in Libram Arcanis? Opinions Wanted!  (Read 309 times)

Online Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What should be in Libram Arcanis? Opinions Wanted!
« on: June 26, 2022, 05:23:47 PM »
Ok, so right now, I have the following slated for being part of the Libram Arcanis, which, incidentally, puts the page count above that of the core rules (something I am not fond us, hence this post soliciting opinions).

What I would like folks to do is to look over this list and give opinions on what I should/could save for a different product. Please note that some of the items could be released as or part of  Libram Secundus issues as well, and that everything WILL eventualyl be released, the only question is when....

• Training Paths
    • Casters
      • Archmage -- Able to learn Spells from all 8 Schools. Treats the Casting skill as if it were a Proficiency skill instead of a Specialty skill
      • Cleric -- Caster of Divine Magic, associated with a given deity or group of deities, spell lists customized by this
      • Dabbler -- Able to Cast Spells from all 8 Schools. Must learn each School as a separate skill (this is the only training path allowed more than two Schools of Magic normally. Spells learned do not get Casting Options unless the character also takes Spell Focus for that spell
      • Druid -- Caster of Natural Magic, maigc of nature and animals
      • Magician -- Caster of High Magic, very wide range of capabililities
      • Magus -- Caster capable of casting from two Schools of Magic, player's choice which two
      • Mystic -- Caster of Mysticism, the magic of the mind and self control
      • Shaman -- Caster of Spirit Magic, deals with spirits and entities from higher planes.
      • Sorcerer -- Caster of Sorcery, believes in the science of magic
      • Warlock -- Caster of Black Magic, deals with evil being, such as demons and devils (entities from the lower planes) more frequently. Most Warlocks succomb to the tempations and turn evil
      • Wizard -- Caster of Wizardry, the power of the spoken word.
    • Hybrids -- While not full casters, certain Hybrids have some spell capabilities
      • Bard -- Of the School of Wizardry
      • Cultist -- A practitioner of Black Magic, focuses on summoning and controlling those from the Infernal Realms.
      • Mage Hunter -- From teh School of Sorcery, the Mage Hunter usually works to capture those who violate the rules of a Mage's Guild
      • Monk -- Of the School of Mysticism, the Monk focuses on perfecting mind and body.
      • Paladin -- A warrior for his deity, aided by spells from the School of Divin Magic.
      • Ranger -- A practitioner of Natural Magic, he protects nature when it cannot protect itself.
      • Shadowkin -- This spell used could be from the Schoolof Mysticism of the School of Black Magic. In some worlds there are rivals groups based upon which School they follow.
      • Spiritist -- Works with spirits to enhance his natural capabilities.
      • Warrior Mage -- This is a magic user whose spells are focused on helping him fight battles.
  • Magic Chapter -- This includes the definition of the different Schools and all the casting guidelines. It also contains the spells for each School.
  • Planar Cosmology -- a brief description of different planes
  • The Spirit World -- a short explanation of the Spirit world and the entities found there and the types of attacks that they can perform
  • Alchemy 101 -- detailed alchemy rules. This is one of the sections I am considering moving to another product since it is not really spell oriented, even if the rules are for magical item creation
  • Creatures -- This section would have a couple of Demons, Devils, undead and perhapss some Celestials (this section could also be released seperately
  • Spell Creation Rules -- I fell that these belong here

« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 08:10:35 AM by Rasyr »

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
Re: What should be in Libram Arcanis? Opinions Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 01:37:05 AM »
As proposed, keep Alchemy and Creatures for their own books.
I thought, but I am not convinced this is a smart thing to do, you could have small thematics booklets : Nature (natural magic, druids, rangers, some animals…), Divine (clerics, paladins, angels and demons…), Mind over Matter (Mysticism, martial arts…)…

Online Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 08:26:30 AM »
As proposed, keep Alchemy and Creatures for their own books.
I thought, but I am not convinced this is a smart thing to do, you could have small thematics booklets : Nature (natural magic, druids, rangers, some animals…), Divine (clerics, paladins, angels and demons…), Mind over Matter (Mysticism, martial arts…)…

Not convinced of small thematic books either,  At least not ones where I have to put monsters in each one (since I need to write up a lot of them, like the Celestials, and I only have 4 demons and 4 devils so far)....

And I still have to create the Spiritist and Cultist as well.

Now, while I am working on various things, I can always use Libram Secundus to release a few things at a time like I did with Libram Secundus #3

Offline Falcon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 05:06:23 PM »
I usually only lookup game mechanisms for RPGs (as I have my own setting), so mixing up too many topics (combat, setting infos, craftmansship, trade..) is too combersome to use for my play style.

I agree putting alchemy and creatures in their own products. Alchemy is usually more complex and if you need a creature as a GM you want to have ONE list at the table, not flipping through other stuff.

Spirit world could also be a huge thing on its own if it fits the RPG/settin (looking over to Runequest).

p.S.
Too broad thematic booklets (like nature) would produce too many overlaps or vague attribution (is alchemy nature "enough"?)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 05:10:21 PM by Falcon »

Online Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 10:14:20 PM »
I usually only lookup game mechanisms for RPGs (as I have my own setting), so mixing up too many topics (combat, setting infos, craftmansship, trade..) is too combersome to use for my play style.

I agree putting alchemy and creatures in their own products. Alchemy is usually more complex and if you need a creature as a GM you want to have ONE list at the table, not flipping through other stuff.

Spirit world could also be a huge thing on its own if it fits the RPG/settin (looking over to Runequest).

p.S.
Too broad thematic booklets (like nature) would produce too many overlaps or vague attribution (is alchemy nature "enough"?)

Planar Cosmology is two-ish pages, and the Spirit world is only one page (a few short descriptions of the types of spirits, and then two type of spirit attacks.

The Alchemy  section is a lot larger is about 20 pages with another 4 pages regarding more mundane craftsmanship, if I include new magical items as well, that would make for a nice 64 page book (as these page counts do NOT include artwork).

I can do the Demons and Devils that I currently have as a Libram Secundus issue, and then include in a larger creature book, so long as I expand those sections enough so that they are only a small portion, so that would work as well.

My lists above include 2 new Training Paths for Hybrids which I do not have written up yet (all the others are fully complete), so including the Training Paths, the spells, and magic chapter, and the spell creation rules would likely be enough for the book then.