Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Questions  (Read 911 times)

Offline Dimirag

• View Profile
Questions
« on: July 22, 2022, 06:34:46 PM »
OK, first question: Can Stats (primary and secondary) be increased after character creation? I didn't find rules for purchasing Background Options nor a Special Skill for doing it.
I'm not a native English speaker, sorry for any error.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 12:41:10 AM »
OK, first question: Can Stats (primary and secondary) be increased after character creation? I didn't find rules for purchasing Background Options nor a Special Skill for doing it.

I did not include any such rules in Novus 2e. You could allow for it, but I would recommend against it, or at least recommend allowing the players to decide to increase stats.

One bit of reasoning being that the players are expected to be in tip top condition, thus at the peak that they can achieve.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 10:46:17 AM »

If you want to allow such, I would make the following recommendations
  • Only allow the increase of Primary Stats (these will automatically raise Secondary Stats associated win turn)
  • Never allow stats to be raised above natural upper limits (this is 6, modified by race)
  • Only allow one such increase for every 75 CP/XP that the character has
  • Only allow one such increase per stat, period.
  • Each increase should cost at least 8-10 CP, since that +1 to the stat affect many many different things.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 10:47:53 AM by Rasyr »

Offline Dimirag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 02:08:08 PM »
Cool, I was thinking something similar:

Stat Increase (Special Skill) (8+CP)
Each time that this Special Skill is acquired, you can increase one of the character's Primary Stats by 1 point but no Stat can be increased more than 2 times.
This may only be acquired once per 100XP the character has and to a maximum of 7 times.

The cost is based on how many times the Stat has been increased and how close its to its allowed maximum.

First Increase:
-Stat is 3 or more under the max: 8CP.
-Stat is 2 or less under the max: 9CP.
Second Increase:
-Stat is 3 or more under the max: 9CP.
-Stat is 2 or less under the max: 10CP.

As for Secondary Stats, maybe only for Saving Throws:
0-99 - No modifier
100-199 - +1 to one ST of the player choice
200-299- +1 to every ST
300-399- +1 to one ST of the player choice
And so on...
This would make them increase in a similar way to 1ed

BTW: An optional rule (maybe for a LS) that may be cool is to use only Secondary Stats for skill rolls also, this would require some extra Secondary Stats such as Brawn (Str + Dex).

Question: What would be some PC XP benchmarks?
Something like: Rookie, Advanced, Experienced, Veteran, Retired.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 02:20:03 PM by Dimirag »

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 02:28:27 PM »
Question: What would be some PC XP benchmarks?
Something like: Rookie, Advanced, Experienced, Veteran, Retired.

You could use this as a possible guide in that regard.....

Craftsmen.jpg
* Craftsmen.jpg
(Filesize: 33.99 KB)
(Dimensions: 414x302, Views: 142)

Offline Dimirag

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 03:08:52 PM »
Using it as a guide, converting skills ranks to XP:
Apprentice -> Very Low Rank: 100XP or less.
Journeyman -> Low Rank: 101-240XP
M. Tradesman -> Middle Rank:241-400XP
M. Artisan -> High Rank: 401-600XP
Gran Master -> Very High Rank: 601 and beyond.

Using round numbers (bumped up so a starting character can remain in the initial rank a little):
Very Low (Starting) 150 or less.
Low (Advanced): 151 to 300
Medium (Experienced): 301 to 450
High (Seasoned): 451 to 600
Very High (Veteran): 601 and above.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 04:59:58 PM »
I would most likely go with

Actually the more that I think about it....

Apprentice == 1-4 or 5 Ranks (<= 99 XP)
Journeymen == 5-10 ranks (100-200 XP)
Tradesman (Senior Journeyman) ==11-20 ranks (201-400 XP)
Master (Artisan) == 21-30 ranks (401-600 XP)
Grandmaster -- 31+ ranks  (601+ XP)

This way, starting characters are considered Journeymen (i.e. they leave their masters/trainers and strike out into the world on their own)

That makes more sense to me...

Offline Dimirag

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2022, 05:03:35 PM »
Making starting characters Journeyman makes more sense.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 05:07:46 PM »
Making starting characters Journeyman makes more sense.

That was my thoughts as well. The table I posted above was from the playtest version.

Offline Dimirag

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 07:43:16 PM »
Regarding Training Paths:

Fighters get +12 Base Vitality
Adepts: +6 or +12 Base Vitality
Casters get no bonus
Hybrids get +6 Base Vitality

I think that:
Bounty Hunters: Should gain a little more Vitality, they tend to be more combat oriented.
Rogues and Scouts should have a lesser bonus, they have the same as Fighters, maybe.
+9 sounds ok for the hole group.
Rogues and Scouts would receive 2CP each, Bounty Hunters would have to lose skills sadly...

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2022, 11:49:27 PM »
Regarding Training Paths:

Fighters get +12 Base Vitality
Adepts: +6 or +12 Base Vitality
Casters get no bonus
Hybrids get +6 Base Vitality

I think that:
Bounty Hunters: Should gain a little more Vitality, they tend to be more combat oriented.
Rogues and Scouts should have a lesser bonus, they have the same as Fighters, maybe.
Rogues and Scouts would receive 2CP each, Bounty Hunters would have to lose skills sadly...

When designing the Training Paths, I made sure that I priced everything out carefully, and yes, I made some decisions that may not seem correct, unless you saw the pricing for them. I might be able to rework their pricing some, I will recheck and see. (and perhaps update in errata....)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 12:03:07 AM by Rasyr »

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2022, 12:21:10 AM »

I think that:

Ok, I think part of issue here is how we view those 3 Training Paths.

Rogue == Fighter/Outdoorsman (wilderness survival and fighting)
Scout = Spy/Outdoorsman (more on wilderness survival)

For both of these, the Outdoorsman aspects tend to provide the better Vitality....

Bounty Hunter --  I don't view him so much of a fighter normally since he works more along the lines of tracker/ambusher/trapper -- this is why he has Waylaying....) as most bounties are worth more alive than not, and straight up combat is more likely to leave a foe dead, even unintentionally

I could easily do up a variant Bounty hunter, one who is more combat oriented (but Rogue and Scout are how I think they should be.

Sorry, on this I have to disagree.  Adepts got the amount of vitality that I thought made the most sense, and that let me balance them overall.

Offline Dimirag

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2022, 09:57:14 AM »
I see those TP in a similar way, only not being as resilient as fighters, and Bounty Hunters being more combat oriented as their goal involves a target while scouts are less focused on targeting at close distance and rogues are more in line of not getting involved in fights. But I understand your posture.

The Proficiency Special Skill says:
Unlearned: +1/5 ranks
Minor: +1/3 ranks
Core: +1/rank

The NPB says that the proficiencies work the same as for non-combat skill but:
Combat Training 0: No bonus
Combat Training I: +1/5 ranks
Combat Training II: +1/4 ranks

Should Minor Prof and CTII share the same mod? (+1/3 as stated on the special skill)
Or is the difference used to give Minor Proficiencies a reason to be bought on combat skills?

NPB  for non-combat skill works based on whether the PC has the proficiency or not, and NPB for combat skills works based on both having (or not) the proficiency and what combat training the TP provides right?

Is the NPB based on the highest combat skill? And does it applies always regardless of what weapon/skill the character uses at the moment?

Also, it says it can be applied to other combat skills if the PC does not have said skill, so If my PC does not have a skill, it uses the NPB, but if he acquires 1 point in that skill, the NPB is lost... Or should use the higher bonus at a moment?

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2022, 10:43:29 AM »

The Proficiency Special Skill says:
Unlearned: +1/5 ranks
Minor: +1/3 ranks
Core: +1/rank

The NPB says that the proficiencies work the same as for non-combat skill but:
Combat Training 0: No bonus
Combat Training I: +1/5 ranks
Combat Training II: +1/4 ranks

Should Minor Prof and CTII share the same mod? (+1/3 as stated on the special skill)
Or is the difference used to give Minor Proficiencies a reason to be bought on combat skills?

No, doing that would have made NPB more powerful that I wanted it to be.

NPB  for non-combat skill works based on whether the PC has the proficiency or not, and NPB for combat skills works based on both having (or not) the proficiency and what combat training the TP provides right?

I am sorry, but I do not understand this question.

Is the NPB based on the highest combat skill? And does it applies always regardless of what weapon/skill the character uses at the moment?

NPB is based on the highest Melee Combat skill, and it ONLY APPLIES to other Melee Combat skills (which Proficiency bonuses would not apply to since  Blades skill is a different skill than the Bludgeoning skill.....)

Also, it says it can be applied to other combat skills if the PC does not have said skill, so If my PC does not have a skill, it uses the NPB, but if he acquires 1 point in that skill, the NPB is lost... Or should use the higher bonus at a moment?

Take the Blades skill and say you had 6 ranks in short blades as your ONLY Proficiency.....

The Proficiency bonuses would give you a +1 in Long and Heavy Blades if you did not have either of those. If you had a Minor Proficiency in Long Blades, that would give you a +5 in Short Blades, a +2 in Long Blades and a +1 in Heavy Blades.

This alone would provide you NO benefits for Bludgeoning weapons since you have no skill ranks in it.

Now, say your character is a Scout (Weapon Training I), that means in addition to the above, You would also get a +1 in Bludgeoning, in Martial Arts and in Two-Handed weapon skills. It also means that you gain a +1 to DT as well.

Now, as it says, if the character has 1 rank in Bludgeoning, the NPB bonus would not apply to it anymore. He would still receive it for the other two melee based combat skills. Now, if theis character ignored Blades skill and ended up with 7 ranks in Bludgeoning, you would then have the NPB based on it instead of blades from that point on.

Basically, the NPB acts as an extended Proficiency Bonus for melee based combat skills, but only if you have no ranks in them.

The idea behind the NPB is that as you learn to use weapons, you will eventually be able to use almost any weapon, to at least some minor degree even if you have no training in it. It also allows any melee training to assist in defense since you know the basics of how weapons move.

Offline Dimirag

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2022, 11:13:43 AM »
Oh, I though Combat Training and Proficiency combined somehow. But reading the paragraph again, plus your explanation I think I have it, naming the Proficiencies, and having it on its name I though the bonus where based on mainly on having a proficiency...

So:
-Non Proficiency Bonus is for combat skills with no ranks and for DT and is based on Combat Proficiency
-Skill bonus is based on Proficiency alone.

If I have a combat skill with 12 ranks:
-Mayor Proficiency: +12 (equal to skill rank)
-Minor Proficiency: +4 (+1e/3)
-No Proficiency: +2 (+1e/5)
-Other combat Skills and DT:
--No Combat Training: +0
--Combat Training I: +2 (+1e/5)
--Combat Training II: +3 (+1e/4)

(Combat Training only affects DT and the bonus for non-ranked skills, it does not affect skills with ranks).
If I have a +3NPB and gain 1 rank in a skill, then it goes to +1 instead of being +3 right?

Sorry for being bothersome with many questions.