Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Spears tend to get the shaft....  (Read 484 times)

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Spears tend to get the shaft....
« on: February 02, 2023, 01:21:13 PM »

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
Re: Spears tend to get the shaft....
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 03:52:05 PM »
Great video.
One of the lesson I think is that shields are much better protection against thrusting weapons than against swinging weapons. Spear attack are straight and thus easily counter by what is basically a mobile wall.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 04:42:37 PM »
Great video.
One of the lesson I think is that shields are much better protection against thrusting weapons than against swinging weapons. Spear attack are straight and thus easily counter by what is basically a mobile wall.

Actually, I think that shields would work as good against both. Bucklers, on the other hand are better against swords where you can put them in the path to deflect (i.e. almost like punching the sword).

Shields against spears only work if you hold the shield in front of you, since that is where the attack comes from, but against a sword, you want to move the shield to intercept teh attack better.

Now, what got me thinking is that a 2-handed spear could also be treated as also having some of the effects of a shield (emulating one by preventing targets from closing without actually stabbing them), so perhaps 2-handed spear use could act like the character is using a normal shield (same bonus to defense). when not attacking.

Offline Dimirag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 06:50:45 PM »
Spears and maybe polearms having a "reach" quality that gives a defense bonus is not unheard, it works.
Should it be a permanent weapon bonus of being a combat modifier?
If its a combat modifier a spear vs spear combat won't receive the bonus, the opponent is far, but your weapon can reach it thus nullifying the bonus.

I know I always give weird ideas, but, how about using something similar to range penalties of melee?
Maybe melee is also divide in close, mid, and far ranges and you get an attack penalty based on the longer weapon used between you and your opponent (this would require that each weapon have a range category, unarmed and daggers would be Close, polearms and spears would be far, the rest is mid, unless you want extra distances)
I'm not a native English speaker, sorry for any error.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 02:23:51 AM »
Some systems like Conan 2d20 use a reach factor making spear wielders harder to hit at first but at a disadvantage if you succeed in breaking their guard. The spear shaft becomes a liability at close range.

Offline Dimirag

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 07:38:32 AM »
Years ago I read a game where on the first round the reach defense bonus where to the character with the longer weapon, after that the bonus was received by the character that landed a hit on its opponent, it reflected that if you manage to hit you broke managed to moved into your weapon's effective reach.
For example, dagger vs spear
Spear has the initial bonus
If the dagger hits it manages to go nearer its opponent than the initial distance meaning that the spear now must fight on a shorter distance, if it manages to hit it means it moved to the correct range.

It the spear always gets the bonus it means that after the dagger hits either combatant moves to the initial distance like in a JRPG.
I'm not a native English speaker, sorry for any error.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 07:52:18 AM »
From what I am seeing while watching that viedo and a bunch of others about Spears is essentially:

* Spears can parry/attack 2 foes at range (5'-10')

*Attackers versus the Spear MUST take a specific action to break guard (i.e. reduces defenses or perform some sort of move)

* Once close in, Spear Users are better to drop the spear and grab a secondary weapon (axe, short sword, dagger, etc) if they cannot re-open range