Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Quickstart now available -- more coming....  (Read 137 times)

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Quickstart now available -- more coming....
« on: March 06, 2024, 01:21:39 PM »
uploaded the Quickstart - In Search of Jarfry to DrivethruRPG this morning.

I am starting work on converting  The Tomb of Aosath Bak to get it uploaded.

Then will be starting work on the next module,  "The Wizard's Apprentice" (wizard comes into posession of a cursed book, which possesses hi apprentice - severely injuring the Wizard just after the group arrives in town. They then git hired by the Wizard and an elderly priest to go stop the apprentice (preferably saving him in the process) from summoning an unknown number of demons to Anwyn...

Offline Swanosaurus

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
Re: Quickstart now available -- more coming....
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 01:59:57 PM »
Okay, I'll be "that guy" and ask a quick question about the quickstart: I've only given it a cursory read as of now, but I took a closer look at the pregens, and ... why are all of them male? I mean, it's probably clear to that you can always change a character's sex, anyway, but why do the descriptions explicitly state the character being male in every single case?

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 02:15:39 PM »
Okay, I'll be "that guy" and ask a quick question about the quickstart: I've only given it a cursory read as of now, but I took a closer look at the pregens, and ... why are all of them male? I mean, it's probably clear to that you can always change a character's sex, anyway, but why do the descriptions explicitly state the character being male in every single case?

Cause I made them and just do not feel comfortable makeing female customers. Basically just habit and my personal preference in generating characters....

I guess I could change a couple of them to females. I am about to rework them anyways for a number of changes made for the next rounds of manuscript changes (changes to where language ranks come from and how many characters get.

Don't forget, you can request to join the Beta Playtest group using the link to the left, up in the Fantasy Express section of the sidebar
<---------------------------------------------------------------<<<<<<<<<

Offline Swanosaurus

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 02:29:40 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, that's understandable.
These days, I often just roll a die when designing NPC without a clear idea of whether they should be male or female ... I do think it's still relevant occassionally breaking up a stereotype or two, and that having more or less equal representation in RPGs can help; and I do think it's better if players who don't happen to be male don't get the wrong message that them wanting to play someone of their sex (or male players wanting to play female characters) are a "special case".

Maybe if you don't feel coomfortable designing female PC, you could ask some of your players.

And when I'm finally ready to get into the nitty-gritty of the rules with my reading, I'll make sure to join the Beta playtest group!

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 02:42:05 PM »
Technically, I don't have any gender in mind when creating them. (the exception being the two PreGens I created for the Character Generation Example).

I make the character then when filling in the details, I just add Male at that point (and when writing their background use  language sa if I were making the character for myself).

You are correct that I should have some female versions....

Ohhhh.. or what if I left gender out completely? Rework the descriptions to be neutral (i.e. not he and not she), then the player of just a Pregen fills in the gender themselves?

Like so...

00Argorn.jpg
* 00Argorn.jpg
(Filesize: 158.74 KB)
(Dimensions: 1076x475, Views: 19)

Offline Swanosaurus

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 02:46:11 PM »

Ohhhh.. or what if I left gender out completely? Rework the descriptions to be neutral (i.e. not he and not she), then the player of just a Pregen fills in the gender themselves?

Like so...

00Argorn.jpg
* 00Argorn.jpg
(Filesize: 158.74 KB)
(Dimensions: 1076x475, Views: 19)

I think that's the best way to go! Most fantasy names could be male or female, anyway, and if you just leave it open, it's quite clear that anyone can just fill in the box (and their picture of the character) any way they want and that the sex of the character doesn't matter for gaming purposes.

EDIT: When describing pregens, you could also always go for a description in the 2nd person instead of the 3rd (you are a wood elf from the neighboring forests of Aelftyr ...), since the whole thing is a player handout, anyway.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 02:47:53 PM by Swanosaurus »