Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Weaknesses  (Read 55 times)

Offline sacredbirdman

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
Weaknesses
« on: April 06, 2024, 12:45:55 PM »
Hi,

I've been enjoying reading Fantasy Express and there are many things I like about it. However, I've always had problems with weaknesses / flaws as "bonus points". Some players try to min/max them to make absurd characters and GM needs to remember to apply them. What if they worked more like passions? You get something out of them (Drive maybe) when they actually complicate the character's life or when they make the adventure more interesting. This way it's harder to game them and players are themselves incentivized to remember them and bring them up. This might also have the bonus of giving characters that have gained weaknesses like crippled a "consolation prize". What do you ppl think?

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Weaknesses
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 06:43:24 PM »
Welcome to the forums! And I am glad you are liking Fantasy Express!!

I like that idea and think it is a very interesting idea.

I will take another look at them and see if I can find a way to implement without a major rewrite.

There is already a limit on the amount of Drawbacks a character can take (3 points worth). That won't be going away, but I do like the idea of giving Drive if a Drawback comes into play in a significant manner  -- the higher the cost of the flaw, the more likely it should be to come into play (i.e. Lycanthropy is a 3 point flaw, while Ego Signature is only a 1 point flaw).

Offline Dimirag

• View Profile
Re: Weaknesses
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 10:48:24 PM »
Its a rule used on several games (I've used in some of mine) and it works, it makes the player take care of the drawback while playing, there some game where you can use meta-points (like Drive) to "invoke" an opponent's Drawbacks/Weaknesses.
I'm not a native English speaker, sorry for any error.