Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Flashchat / IRC  (Read 593 times)

imported_Raf Blutaxt

Flashchat / IRC
« on: January 05, 2011, 03:23:12 PM »
Well, it just came to my attention again, since I wanted to use the chat, that I can't in fact use the flashchat because of technical issues. So I wondered, if there was a possibility to connect the flashchat to IRC or if an IRC chat weren't a better choice.
Just a questioin...

imported_Rasyr

Flashchat / IRC
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 03:51:02 PM »
What are the technical issues that you are having? The flashchat should work for anybody who is registered on these forums (you may also need to be logged in at the time as well). Well, as long as you have a browser that supports flash...

I know that we have actually used it for meetings a couple of times...

imported_Raf Blutaxt

Flashchat / IRC
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 04:00:38 PM »
Basically I have to use a screen-reading software which to the flashchat and sometimes the whole browser dying, when I try to access the chat. It is a problem between flash in general and that software and I know of no way to solve the problem.

imported_Rasyr

Flashchat / IRC
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 04:28:45 PM »
Unfortunately, neither do I. I will look into possible alternative resolutions, but please understand that it likely isn't going to be a high priority, simply because I have too much else that I do need to be doing right now.

imported_Raf Blutaxt

Flashchat / IRC
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 05:24:59 PM »
No problem, it's probably not an issue for most people. I just thought I'd ask to see if there was a possibility to connect it to IRc.

imported_Rasyr

Flashchat / IRC
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 05:41:07 PM »
IRC is actually a transport protocol, like http and ftp. And like those two, it also usually requires a dedicated server to utilize that protocol. The flashchat, on the other hand uses http as its transport protocol, hence the major difficulty connecting the flashchat with an IRC app, but like I said, I am looking into it..

Offline Jegergryte

• View Profile
Flashchat / IRC
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:27:16 PM »
I get to log onto the chat, but after its been loaded I see only (a quite nice) blue background and no place to write and thus chat...

I use mac and FF3...

imported_Rasyr

Flashchat / IRC
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 09:50:57 PM »
Jegergryte -- that means that you aren't actually logged into it. Now, the flash chat is tied to the forums DB, and I am not sure, but I think that you might need to be logged in.

You might also need to load the forums in a separate tab (outside of the Wordpress wrapper) at least once as well.

Offline Jegergryte

• View Profile
Flashchat / IRC
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 06:45:02 PM »
If I load it within the wordpress page, the front page frame thing, then it works... but if I load it as a separate tab it doesn't work.

I am logged onto the forum in a separate tab most of the time, reads a lot better that way.

Thanks.

imported_Rasyr

Flashchat / IRC
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 09:37:31 PM »
I found and fixed that problem today actually... The menu across the top was pointing to an old URL for this site, from before you became a member...

It should work now...