Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: RM Revision  (Read 3000 times)

imported_Witchking20k

RM Revision
« on: January 13, 2011, 06:23:25 PM »
Ironically enough, they have already started in on the RM revision discussions in the ICE forums.  Same old story; "what do you mean its hard?  You're obviously inferior..."  Ok so that is a little harsh, but really, thats what it all comes down to.  The purists are going to stand high aloft on their soap boxes and tell the rest of the folks how it should be done; then refuse to buy a new product.

It will be interesting to see if they decide to keep supporting both RMSS & RMC or can finally severe the tie to one or the other....

Offline Arioch

• View Profile
RM Revision
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 11:34:21 AM »
Well, discussions about a new edition have been going on for a long time and imho they were bound to resurface short after the "new ICE" announcement.
To tell the truth, I'd like to see a new edition of RM, but the "new ICE" seems too concerned about keeping happy the old fans (all of them simultaneously... lol) and maintaining a "RM purity" to actually change somtehing.

imported_Raf Blutaxt

RM Revision
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 03:28:19 PM »

To tell the truth, I'd like to see a new edition of RM,

Well, you are one of the few people who can actually get something very much like it

Offline Arioch

• View Profile
RM Revision
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:14:49 PM »
Ehe, you're right!

imported_Witchking20k

RM Revision
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 02:03:28 PM »
I'd like to see a new version too.  I'm not one to wish ill upon anyone.  So, I hope they make some good choices based on the market; not just their own personal beliefs.

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
RM Revision
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 01:03:05 AM »
On another front, I think Blacky The Blackball (the guy that did the retro-clone of the D&D Rules Cyclopedia called "Dark Dungeons") is working on a game called "Blood, Guts, & Glory" that aims to blend the OGL of 3rd Edition D&D with a certain other game... 

Offline Arioch

• View Profile
RM Revision
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:32:26 AM »
That would be really cool, I thought of writing something like that myself a lot of times!

imported_Raf Blutaxt

RM Revision
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 12:41:21 PM »
Well, I guess you have to be real careful with that, the IP owners for RM seem to be pretty protective of their IP.

Offline Ecthelion

• View Profile
RM Revision
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 03:38:08 PM »

The purists are going to stand high aloft on their soap boxes and tell the rest of the folks how it should be done; then refuse to buy a new product.

It will be interesting to see if they decide to keep supporting both RMSS & RMC or can finally severe the tie to one or the other....

but the "new ICE" seems too concerned about keeping happy the old fans (all of them simultaneously... lol) and maintaining a "RM purity" to actually change somtehing.

Currently you are just guessing, based on the (seemingly) bad assumptions you have about the new ICE. IMO it is much too early to tell whether the discussion will go into the direction that you assume. Let's see what the future brings.

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
RM Revision
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 03:41:10 PM »
Well, I guess you have to be real careful with that, the IP owners for RM seem to be pretty protective of their IP.

He was pretty careful when he did the Dark Dungeons game, so I'm sure he will be just as careful now.  I sent him a PM on RPG.net and he is indeed still working on it. 

imported_Raf Blutaxt

RM Revision
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 05:01:36 PM »

Currently you are just guessing, based on the (seemingly) bad assumptions you have about the new ICE. IMO it is much too early to tell whether the discussion
will go into the direction that you assume. Let's see what the future brings.

Looking at how revision discussions on the ICE forums have gone before, I think Witchking's assessment is pretty much spot on, the interesting part will be to see how the new crew will react to the edition war that seems to be the unavoidable result of any revision discussion on RM.
To that I am happy to wait and see.
I would just like to add that the new business model allows for them just to keep the books in print (on demand) and publish whatever they please, whenever they please, since they have almost now running costs to cover. I'm not saying that is what they are going to do, just pointing out that they could do this, if they want and just put off any revision indefinitely.

imported_Witchking20k

RM Revision
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 06:03:25 PM »
Yah, the assumptions are probaby bad, and obviously an opinion.  But, we've all been through the edition war before, so I think that part is at least factual.  I have fallowed the discussion closely (as I think most of us have), and anticipate it hitting the same loop it always does......what do you call that when you hit a never ending loop....a never ending loop...a never ending loop.....

Offline Arioch

• View Profile
RM Revision
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 07:57:55 PM »
Ecthelion: yes, my are just assumption, based on the posts I've read on the ice forums. I don't think those discussions are going anywhere, probably there's much more going on in the background, but of that I know nothing andI can only guess basing my ideas on what I can read

imported_Witchking20k

RM Revision
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 04:04:58 PM »
On a simlar note.....has anyone seen what the difference between 5th & 6th edition hero is?  Through all the talk of simplifying games etc.....Hero is a beast of system.

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
RM Revision
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 05:21:02 PM »
Looks like the project is back in the works.

http://bloodgutsandglory.wordpress.com/