Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: RM Revision  (Read 3001 times)

imported_Witchking20k

RM Revision
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 11:52:03 AM »
I can honestly say, I don't care about this revision.  If it were 1 book I might consider buying it.  But, 5 books for a game that as a 35 year old I am going to play 1-2 times a month.....really?

imported_Rasyr

RM Revision
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 01:27:35 PM »
Apparently, they believe that starting with a massive core and then stripping things out is the way to go. Unfortunately, with their organization, a new RMX-like product likely won't be released until 2014 or 2015 at least, by which point, the system will actually be dead, just zombie-ing along

Every single trend in the rpg market since 2000 has been towards simpler core, easier buy-in. They are going the opposite route. They will have a small uptick in sales when it is first released, then it will likely die as folks find out that it has actually become MORE complicated in some areas.....

I mourn for Rolemaster....

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
RM Revision
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 08:08:47 PM »
Sad but probably true...

Offline ob1knorrb

• View Profile
RM Revision
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 02:52:55 AM »
I think one of the biggest factors in whether the new ICE will be successful or not will be in support material.  If they don't release interesting campaign settings and adventures to support them, then I think you are right, there will be an initial set of sales from people like me who will buy the core books to see what the system is like, but if no support follows, that will quickly die off and things will go nowhere.

imported_Rasyr

RM Revision
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 03:13:15 AM »

I think one of the biggest factors in whether the new ICE will be successful or not will be in support material.  If they don't release interesting campaign settings and adventures to support them, then I think you are right, there will be an initial set of sales from people like me who will buy the core books to see what the system is like, but if no support follows, that will quickly die off and things will go nowhere.

And they won't be able to do it. Their track record of releases to date SHOWS that they won't be able to do it.

Offline ob1knorrb

• View Profile
RM Revision
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 03:21:43 AM »

And they won't be able to do it. Their track record of releases to date SHOWS that they won't be able to do it.

I think you are correct.  At a minimum I think they would need to come out with something like the Guild Adventurer at least quarterly and I just don't think they have the manpower to do it.  I hope for the Fan's sake that the new revision is decent, and I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'm not getting my expectations up too high.

imported_Rasyr

RM Revision
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 04:16:26 AM »

I think you are correct.  At a minimum I think they would need to come out with something like the Guild Adventurer at least quarterly and I just don't think they have the manpower to do it.  I hope for the Fan's sake that the new revision is decent, and I'm looking forward to seeing it, but I'm not getting my expectations up too high.

From what I have heard, Lordmiller did not endear himself to the rest of the team, and that he actually made some parts MORE complicated overall -- and that is likely to turn folks off as well...

Offline ob1knorrb

• View Profile
RM Revision
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2012, 06:46:08 PM »
More complicated is definitely not what is needed.  But, could mean some room for doing some Optional Rules articles for the Guild Companion 

imported_Rasyr

RM Revision
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 12:15:28 AM »
If they ever actually get it released....  let alone, released in a timely fashion...

I am still not convinced that can do THAT...

imported_Raf Blutaxt

RM Revision
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2012, 11:23:17 AM »
Well, apparently the playtest is on and interested people can download the documents from the forum. I haven't done so yet, but I might do so some time in the future.

imported_Rasyr

RM Revision
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2012, 12:03:42 PM »
Yeah, I saw the announcement. You MUST be registered on their forums (something I won't do) to download the files...

imported_Raf Blutaxt

RM Revision
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2012, 12:44:33 PM »
Well, their "Playtest Aggreement" is much more daunting than the NDA old ICE used. And if I understand it correctly, everyone in a group of players needs to download their own copy of the document. Why this is so important to them I don't know.

I downloaded Character Law and Spell Law but haven't had a look at them so far.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
RM Revision
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2012, 02:27:35 PM »
I had a quick look at character law yesterday evening. So far, I like it very much. I feel they have found a good balance between RMSS and RMC. There is at least one thing I think should have disappeared: the level-based RR table. Why do they have to keep it in a game so resolutely skill-oriented ?
Lots of really good things though.

imported_Rasyr

RM Revision
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2012, 02:47:13 PM »

Well, their "Playtest Aggreement" is much more daunting than the NDA old ICE used. And if I understand it correctly, everyone in a group of players needs to download their own copy of the document. Why this is so important to them I don't know.

2 reasons mainly....

First -- This allows them to track WHO downloads the files (there is a mod on the ICE forums that allows the admins to see WHO views a given thread and how often and when the last time they viewed it was - I should know, I installed it back when I was the admin over there and was having so many problems with them).

Second -- it allows them to grow the forum membership (something that they haven't been able to do on their own so far) by requiring each person to download their own copy, they can point at the increased number of registrations as if that were proof that they are better than Mjolnir was.

Offline ob1knorrb

• View Profile
RM Revision
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2012, 06:40:28 PM »
Downloaded them but haven't read them yet.  Just deciding if I want to print out hard copies or not. Might print out Character Law, but Spell Law is a bit too big, and most of it is just Spell Lists.