Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Monte Cook rehired by WotC  (Read 1169 times)

imported_Rasyr

Monte Cook rehired by WotC
« on: September 20, 2011, 07:14:52 PM »
Mike Mearls announced it in his article this morning.

Here is the article: http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20110920

Now, considering that in 2003, Monte let it slip that D&D development was supposed to be on a 5 year cycle, and that the next "expected release date" for the next version (whatever it looks like) is 2013, I would say that the timing of this fits right in with that schedule.

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »
It will be interesting to see what the 4th Edition crowd does.

imported_Witchking20k

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 01:00:52 PM »
Indeed.  There is definately a divide amongst the D&Ders I know between the 3.5 & 4th crowds.  Will a revision go back to more skills etc or stay true to the obviousl mantra of simplification.  My bet; if they hit their target growth numbers they go back to 3.5ish skills etc, if not they tweak 4th.

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:48:31 PM »
I expect it to be tweaks to 4th, going into a 4.5 edition...

imported_Witchking20k

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 11:22:18 AM »
Really?  Have you read the 4E material or played it yet?

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 12:02:33 PM »

Really?  Have you read the 4E material or played it yet?

A little bit, when it first came out...

However.....

When 3.5 was announced, Cook got upset that they released it 2 years early. Not that they did a 3.5 edition, but that released it  early. It was also his rant that revealed the 5 year dev & release cycle. This says that "3.5" was always planned. In that sense of things, it is quite likely that they do a 4.5 version.

As for moving anything closer to what 3e was, I'd say that that was doubtful. The whole move into the 4e style of rules was done to move things away from the 3.x rules (which had been released under the OGL) in order to move away from the OGL itself (hasbro's lawyers hated the hell out of the OGL).

I just cannot see them allowing the rules to move back towards something that they tried so hard to move away from. Not to mention the fact that moving towards 3.x will be seen as taking a step backwards, something any company is loathe to do.

Now, having said that, there is nothing to stop them from tweaking 4e to add in a better skill system or improving it in any number of other ways.

And just because I expect version 4.5 rather than version 5, it doesn't mean that I will be right.....

They just might go straight to version 5. Afterall, Mearls has been spouting about "what makes D&D" and other nostalgic stuff, and that could mean that they take the ruels and go back to basics, and rebuild it from the ground up, using updated versions of the original rules....

There are many strong possibilities about which way they may jump. Until there is a little bit more information, I'll stay with 4.5 being where they are heading and then update my opinion as more information is available. 

imported_Witchking20k

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 11:06:43 AM »
Neato.  Monte seems to be a bit of an ego.  Oh and congrats on capping the century mark in memebership!

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 11:19:38 AM »
My interactions with Cook, as limited as they have been (this being back in 2000-2003) showed a huge ego on his part. As well a tendency to rehash (or be inspired by - i.e. rip-off) things and a refusal to acknowledge that he is doing so.

imported_Raf Blutaxt

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 02:11:18 PM »
Ok, nevertheless I would guess on a new version of D&D. They made some changes with the whole Encounters thing and (because of the above-mentioned ego) Monte Cook would probably not rejoin WotC just to tweak other people's work.

But then, I was never much into D&D, so I can sit back and watch it from a healthy distance.

imported_Witchking20k

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 11:28:35 AM »
Monte Cook does have a reputation and I imagine some people are fans of his work.  I'd probably bow to Tims wisdom in this area; a 4.5 is one the horizon.  Has anyone seen the Gamma World Boxed set?  It looks cool!  LOL

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 09:29:27 PM »
Like I said, I am not positive, but everything I know (so far....) seems to point at a 4.5 version...

That may easily change as more information becomes available

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 01:39:46 AM »
ok, apparently I was wrong in thinking a 4.5 edition....

Margaret Weis posted the following : http://www.dragonlanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?21813-Interview-with-WoTC-CEO&p=491745#post491745

I've talked to friends of Monte's who are friends of mine and they all say, Yes, he's working on 5e!

Margaret

I would guess that this "friend" that she heard it from is likely a person working at piazo....

imported_Witchking20k

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 02:23:44 AM »
Cool.

imported_Raf Blutaxt

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 04:01:03 PM »
Ha, so I was right!

imported_Witchking20k

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 11:38:01 AM »
Ha ha ha.  5th edition, eh?  I played 4E for a while (asit was the only game I didn't have to GM) and it was ok.  But, it leaves you wanting more......I am curious to see what they are going to change enough to warrant a new edition and not a .5.....I guess this is te model you should look closely at Tim....a new edition every 5years.