Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: D&D 5e announced  (Read 816 times)

imported_Rasyr

D&D 5e announced
« on: January 09, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »
This morning, the New York Times released this -- http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/arts/video-games/dungeons-dragons-remake-uses-players-input.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all?src=tp

Basically they are announcing D&D 5e (the official announcement is supposed to happen at 10 am EST (EN World has a countdown clock on their site), which is about 10 minutes from the time I am writing this.

The biggest bit is the "feedback loop of months" that they are planning, which tends to indicate, IMO, that 5e will be released in 2013 (in keeping with their revise/release every 5 years schema that has been in place since WotC released D&D 3.0).

imported_Witchking20k

D&D 5e announced
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 12:37:51 AM »
Seems to be the case.  The article itself was fairly good too.  I think bringing attention to an alternative to video games is positive.

imported_Rasyr

D&D 5e announced
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 03:41:31 AM »
Yup, many of the articles were very well written.

imported_Witchking20k

D&D 5e announced
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:13:15 PM »
Funny.  As a new parent our circle of friends are more concerned with the affect technology could have on our kids social behaviour than anything else..

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
D&D 5e announced
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 11:02:13 PM »
Here is some of my thoughts on D&D Next.  I mention Novus and put a link to this website as well.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sun3f6LspRY

imported_Rasyr

D&D 5e announced
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 11:45:22 PM »
I also downloaded the 5e playtest pack the other day. Been slowly going through it....

Not sure I like the idea of the "at will" spells that essentially do the same amount of damage as a Light Crossbow; or the Fighter's ability that allows him to still deal damage even when he misses...

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
D&D 5e announced
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 02:05:09 AM »
I didn't pay too much attention to the example characters, I'll have to go back and look at those for my next video.  I think the 2D20 Advantage / Disadvantage thing is growing on me.

imported_Rasyr

D&D 5e announced
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 02:23:15 AM »
I have only skimmed through the docs myself, and I like that advantage/disavantage die idea as well, it could easily be incorporated into Novus as a flavorful add-on (i.e. roll 3d10, advantage = take best 2, disadvantage = take worst 2), and still allow for exploding/imploding of dice as per normal..

What is funny is that a few days ago (before I got the 5e Playtest materials), I was talking to somebody and came up with an alternative method of using/playing Novus -- No actual skills, just pips of specialization, with all rolls being handled via Saving Throws (or opposed Saves for Combat). The pips of specialization would apply to ANY roll that was associated with the specialization, regardless of the stat that the roll required...

For example -- +3 Locksmith == getting +3 to all Saves relating to Locks.... trying to figure out how to open a lock, that might be wisdom, actually trying to pick the lock might be Dex, lock lore would be Int, and all would get that +3 when a roll was called for...

And for a little bit there, I almost thought that D&D 5e might be doing things in a similar manner...  But I don't think it is... It seems as if they are only giving skills as part of one or more types of package (Backgrounds for sure, but also via Themes), so I am unsure how one might improve in those skills, since there is nothing that says improvement is possible, nor is there anything regarding these Background/Theme packages and how they may possibly work...

imported_Viktyr Korimir

D&D 5e announced
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 05:08:05 AM »
I'm actually rather surprised that they seem to be adopting a flatter power curve than more recent iterations of D&D. With attacks and defenses no longer scaling with level, monsters remain credible threats across all power levels-- no matter how high a level a character is, there exists some number of average peasants capable of defeating him in battle.

imported_Rasyr

D&D 5e announced
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 12:43:53 PM »
Somebody just suggested to me:

Your new marketing campaign: "Novus: 5E done right" 

Yeah, that would REALLY go over good... heheh

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
D&D 5e announced
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 03:00:48 PM »
I'm hoping for the OSR crowd that 5E has the option to be used without skills, or at least just with modified stat checks, only time will tell though. 

imported_Rasyr

D&D 5e announced
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 03:37:51 PM »
in conversation with the same guy who made the "Novus: 5E done right" quip, we came up with the idea that right now, 5E sort of feels like some of those retro-clones of D&D that are out there.

Online Fidoric

• View Profile
D&D 5e announced
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 05:34:54 PM »
It sounds very much like second or third edition to me... Definitively coming back to D&D origins, far from fourth edition.
I like the advantage concept though. It's quick to implement even if a little indiscriminate. For example, you gain advantage when aided by a buddy whatever the skill he possesses.
Combat is... Well, as it has always been. No real innovation.

imported_Rasyr

D&D 5e announced
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »

Offline whystle

• View Profile
D&D 5e announced
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 06:34:12 AM »
Our group tried the play test material tonight; mixed experience with prior D&D editions - most have played some version from OD&D through 3E, although no one has played 4th.

We're probably similar to many other groups, mixed interests - some are min-maxers able to digest and squeeze out every last modifier a game offers, some prefer simple mechanics but character options, while others would be comfortable with no dice at all, but all appreciate action, a decent pacing and colorful stories.

It was a typical gaming session where we spent half the night doing everything but getting to the adventure, but eventually we got around to actually trying the rules.

Disadvantages/Advantages seemed to have gone over well - some appreciated the hand waving it performed over adding countless modifiers. The group didn't mind leaving the arbitration as to when disadvantages/advantages are given to the DM.

Overall it did remind me of older editions with some improvements but somehow it was underwhelming. I would use it for dungeon crawls - which I've always enjoyed about D&D. Everyone seemed to find some positive and negative things about it, but overall it didn't bowl anyone over. We'll continue for a while longer, hopefully I'll be better able to articulate what I like, don't like and especially why it felt so underwhelming (perhaps i was expecting something else).