Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: D&D 5e announced  (Read 815 times)

imported_Viktyr Korimir

D&D 5e announced
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 06:35:55 AM »

I'm hoping for the OSR crowd that 5E has the option to be used without skills, or at least just with modified stat checks, only time will tell though. 

That's all skills are in 5e. Everything you roll for is an ability check. Being trained in a skill just grants a bonus to that ability check, so skills aren't even tied to specific abilities.

imported_Viktyr Korimir

D&D 5e announced
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 06:38:04 AM »

I have only skimmed through the docs myself, and I like that advantage/disavantage die idea as well, it could easily be incorporated into Novus as a flavorful add-on (i.e. roll 3d10, advantage = take best 2, disadvantage = take worst 2), and still allow for exploding/imploding of dice as per normal..

Scaling advantage and disadvantage. You roll 2d10 plus the total advantage/disadvantage (since they cancel), and then keep the best/worst 2.

What is funny is that a few days ago (before I got the 5e Playtest materials), I was talking to somebody and came up with an alternative method of using/playing Novus -- No actual skills, just pips of specialization, with all rolls being handled via Saving Throws (or opposed Saves for Combat). The pips of specialization would apply to ANY roll that was associated with the specialization, regardless of the stat that the roll required...

For example -- +3 Locksmith == getting +3 to all Saves relating to Locks.... trying to figure out how to open a lock, that might be wisdom, actually trying to pick the lock might be Dex, lock lore would be Int, and all would get that +3 when a roll was called for...

And for a little bit there, I almost thought that D&D 5e might be doing things in a similar manner...  But I don't think it is... It seems as if they are only giving skills as part of one or more types of package (Backgrounds for sure, but also via Themes), so I am unsure how one might improve in those skills, since there is nothing that says improvement is possible, nor is there anything regarding these Background/Theme packages and how they may possibly work...