Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Hârnic Monsters  (Read 1211 times)

imported_Rasyr

Hârnic Monsters
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:44:25 PM »
Okay, my basic goal here is to list the monsters to be included in this document, so that I know what I will need to create stats for....

• Common Animals -- I don't want to do herd animals, there is no real point, I think. However, I do think that we should include any potentially dangerous animals.
    • Boars -- a normal, and very dangerous animal

• Dogs - both wild and trained attack dogs maybe.

• Bears- both brown and black bears

• Wolves- Black and White Wolves

• Birds of Prey- Falcon, Eagles, Owls

• Mountain Lions- rowr!

• Other Animals- Deer, Goats, Sheep, Cattle, Rabbits can most likely all be found on Hârn --- Do I really need to stat these out? Or should I just hand wave them.

[/li]
[li]Ivashu -- monstrous creations by one of the Hârnic gods (or classified as such, regardless of whether or not it is true)
  • Aklash - Humanoid monster covered in rolls of pale fat flesh. It has a voracious appetite and breath that can cause intense nausea that incapacitates potential victims.

• Hru - called a "Rock Giant", the Hru are being made of rock. They even transform into piles of boulders during the day, only coming to life at night.

• Nolah - called the Hârnic Troll, these creatures bear little resemblance to the standard troll. Almost like a monstrous plastic man (without the ability stretch or take other shapes), may only be damaged by magical weapons due to its rubbery skin...

• Umbathri - this is the Hârnic Gargoyle. Considered to be only partly on the mortal plane, they are thought to be a type of demon. Immune to non-magical attacks. They are basically insane as well.

• Vlasta - about 18 inches tall, resemble velociraptors, good jumpers, and they are deadly. (I love these guys.... tiny and dangerous as hell

[/list][/li]
[li]Gargun -- the Hârnic Orc. There are 5 distinct types and each has its own unique features. Hârnic  Orcs lay eggs and pass knowledge through genetic memory. They will multiply until they overfill a nest, and then swarm, leaving a trail of destruction behind them
  • Arak -  also known as the Streaked Orc.

• Kyani - also known as the White Orc.

• Hyeka - also known as the Brown Orc.

• Viasal - also known as the Red Orc.

• Khanu - also known as the Black Orc.

[/list][/li]
[li]Other Hârnic Creatures -- There are a few others, that fall outside the above classifications
  • Hirenu -  essentially a Gryphon Hippogriff in other systems.

• Ilme - A race of intelligent mere-dragons. Looks similar to real dragons, but smaller and without wings.

• Wyverns- Also a possibility

• Yelgri -  Think "Winged Kolbolds" and that about describes these guys...

[/list][/li]
[li]The Undead -- There are only 2 main classifications of Undead. They also operate slightly differently than undead in Novus
  • Amorvrin- Free-willed intelligent undead. Includes Vampires*, Vampire Spawn, and Liches*.

• Gulmorvrin- These are the undead who have no will of their own. They are controlled by the great demon Klyss. The following undeadare considered Gulmorvrin:Ghosts, Ghouls, Mummies*, Shadows*, Skeleton, Wights*, Wraiths*, and Zombies.

* = not statted up for Novus yet

[/list][/li]
[/list]

Okay, have I missed out on any basic Hârnic  monsters?
[/list]

Offline Shagwell

• View Profile
Hârnic Monsters
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 03:01:57 AM »
Looks like a good start Tim.

From the official CGI list (http://www.columbiagames.com/cgi-bin/query/cfg/allharnitems.cfg), other possibilities to include might be: -

• horses (a herd animal, but one commonly used/encountered by adventurers)
  • other big cats (although possibly only exotic to Harn itself)
  • snakes
  • (proper) dragons
  • aquatics (sea monsters)
  • fungi
  • the Tawedog (a Harnic sasquatch)

It could be argued that there are 3 classifications of undead: Amorvrin, Gulmorvrin and Non-Morvrin.  The Morvrin are animated by the Orb of Bukrai and exude the Shadow - basically a field effect of mind/soul attack.  While the Gulmorvrin lack free will, they have a stronger Shadow - making them a lot more dangerous than your run of the mill zombie.

Thus, amorvrin would resemble or could be synthesised as vampires, vampire spawn and/or liches as you write.
Gulmorvrin would resemble or could be synthesised as (I think) wights, shadows, mummies and/or wraiths.
Other types of undead would be animated either by their own willpower or by the willpower/spells of individual spellcasters/items.  I don't think that I have seen the normal cannon fodder skeletons, zombies or ghouls in Harn - the vibe for undead has been rare but deadly/scary.

My 2c anyway.[/list]

imported_Rasyr

Hârnic Monsters
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:54:50 PM »
The core rules of Novus have real Dragons, so, while I can/will mention them, I won't be needing to stat them up in the Novus Harn Guide.

Most of the fungi in Harn seem to be of the poisonous mushroom variety (extremely poisonous and deadly), rather than quasi or even semi intelligent plant life.

And, I haven't done up any sea monster for Novus yet, so maybe one would be good, and I like the Tawedog (Sasquatch), it would make for a cool addition.

And  the Hirenu is a hippogriff, not a griffon (as I just realized).