Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Idea for Cuirys!  (Read 456 times)

imported_Rasyr

Idea for Cuirys!
« on: March 24, 2012, 03:28:08 PM »
Okay, was chatting with a few folk this morning, and I asked for ideas about what I might do with Cuirys...

This map shows you where Cuirys is -- http://www.firehawkgames.biz/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/TyrlonPolitical.jpg

The upshot is that I think I know what danger lurks on Cuirys now...

At some point in the distant past, an entire city was transported to Tyrlon. This was a rich and powerful city and its inhabitants had a lot of magic at their disposal, and lots of magical items as well. Mages within this city were fond of trafficking with Demons and Devils.

This one, very powerful mage, came up with a ritual that he believed would get his city home. To complete this ritual, he had to built a large number of obelisks around the island (all within the interior), sort of like a web, to support the transport of his city back to its homeworld.

He planned on using BOTH demons and Devils to power the ritual. But he made a miscalculation, and you might say that things literally went to hell and back... The resulting catastrophe killed most of the people in the city outright. They were the lucky ones...

One end of the island now had a greater bond with the Nether Realms and demons could travel to Cuirys (sporadically, and never more than a few at a time). The other end of the island had a similar connection to the 9 Hells, and Devils came through the fluctuating portals opened over there... The city itself and a bit of the surrounding area gained a strong affinity/tie to the Shadow Realms, and now undead roam the area between the demons and devils as they stalk and hunt one another in their endless war....

The obelisks also formed a barrier that would not allow any creature from the Infernal Planes to escape its boundaries. However, this barrier fluctuates (like the portals to the Nether Realms and 9 Hells), so creatures can occasionally escape if they are in the right place and conditions are right...

Then came the colonists... In their initial explorations of Cuirys, they discovered the dangers (and the richness of the city, though nobody has been able to retrieve any of the treasures from that city yet, or at least not much other than a few trinkets).  They have since builit some heavily fortified lighthouses to warn off ships coming to trade with Argus, keeping them away from the island...

Adventurers are allowed to travel there, but they are quarantined on leaving, to make sure they are not possessed or carrying any disguised infernals...

Thoughts? Comments?

imported_Raf Blutaxt

Idea for Cuirys!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 12:16:42 AM »
Sounds ince so far. I'm pretty tired right now and this is only my first impression, but it's a good impression.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
Idea for Cuirys!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »
It seems a nasty place to be.
It should have many implications for Argus such as the need to stand a watch, just in case. What may be interesting to know is the point of view of the Q'Tani tribes and their shamans. Do they make alliances with demons/devils/both ?

imported_Rasyr

Idea for Cuirys!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 12:12:17 PM »
Th Q'Tani traffic with spirits (mostly the Nature Spirits), not the Infernal Planes. To them it is an occasional source of evil (when something escapes the island), but they never traveled there in the past because they aren't ship builders...