Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Volyri  (Read 465 times)

imported_Rasyr

Volyri
« on: April 12, 2012, 10:20:29 PM »
The  Volyri [pronounced voh leer ee emphasis on the middle syllable]

Racial Origins: The Volyri are descended from an unusually large group of spider-devils that were transported to Cuirys and who subsequently escaped to the Terex and Hyrex Forests on the southern arm of the peninsula. The Hyrex Forest is south of the Arach River.

Home Region: The Volyri live almost exclusively in the Terex and Hyrex Forests.

Favored Ecosystem:

Political Structure:

Social Structure:

Settlement Pattern:

Military Structure:

Currency :

Language :

Appearance:

Housing: The Volyri build platforms within the upper reaches of the Giant Ironwood trees of their forests. Upon these platforms, they construct houses and other buildings.

Diet: While the Volyri are omnivorous, their diet includes a substantially larger proportion of vegetables than it does meat. In fact, most Volyri dishes include meat only to  flavor and enhance the taste of the dish, rather than being core to

Worship:

imported_Rasyr

Volyri
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:58:53 PM »
The purpose of this thread is to detail and document the basics of the Volyri race for Tyrlon. As I fill in information, I will update the above post accordingly.

One of the things I actually still need to do is to settle upon what this race actually will be. I know that they will be arboreal. I also know that they will be primarily agrarian as well.

At one point, I was considering making them into peaceful lizardmen, but I had done that in another setting. Then I had thought to make them a race that could fly, but I have done that as well in the same setting as the peaceful lizardmen (although they were Gryphons in that setting and would have been humanoid in Tyrlon).

Currently, I am considering a race with limited psionic abilities. Essentially, they would get to choose one or two abilities during character creation (and could purchase the others as trainable talents later on) as they gained experience and levels. Some possibilities include:

• Psi-Dagger: A throwing blade made of solidified psionic that works as a simple throwing weapon.
  • Psi-Blade: This is a shortsword made of solidified psionic energy, used as a normal shortsword.
  • Psi-Bow: This charges an arrow with psionic energy allowing it to ignore some or all of a foe's AR
  • Psi-Bolt: This is a simple bolt of solidified psionic energy that can/is fired at a foe
  • Psi-Shield: This is basically a shield made of solidified psionic energy, useful for deflecting attacks. This would actually be the most common of the abilities
  • Psi-Armor: This creates a simple armor around the character that provides him with some AR against attacks.

Now, if I did go with a race like this one (think Dwarven height, dusky orange skin, slightly pointed ears (kinda of a cross between Halflings and Elves, in regards to the pointed-ness of the ears), they would not be capable of casting spells (they could use magic items, but not be spell casters themselves), but they might have a psion class or two all their own...

I am open to other possible suggestions as well......[/list]

imported_Rasyr

Volyri
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:07:30 PM »
Just thought up another possibility this morning...

An arachnoid-based race... i.e. Spidermen!

Basically, they would have the ability to cling to walls (or trees in this instance) and perhaps a basic web shooter (and then access to talents to improve and use the web-shooter in new and unusual ways)

comments? Thoughts?

imported_Rasyr

Volyri
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:50:44 PM »
I was thinking that they would look something like this...

[html]I was also thinking that they would be descended from a group of Spider-devils that escaped the Infernal Planes, and moved here to live in peace, and they have since acclimatized/mutated slightily into their current form...

Offline mattiyaho

• View Profile
Volyri
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 05:20:42 PM »
Another aborial idea is a squirrel based race. Hyperactive insane climing and balancing ability

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
Volyri
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »
A spider-folk is a good idea. Besides, if they ride giant spiders, they make fearsome cavalry unit. I think it is way harder to hit a rider perched on a spider than on a horse because of the shape of a spider. To reach the rider, you have to go through the spider legs.
If you add the fact that spiders have a very smooth way of moving, they should make excellent platform for archers / distant attacks (plus spiders are a good source of poison for those arrows).

I can see hords of spider-riding archers or spell-slingers, able to climb any fortress wall... in fact, they coud change many of the rules of warfare. After all, why would you bother bashing a hole through a wall when you can easily climb it ?

One limitation to their mobility should be water. I think that spiders are not good swimmers.