Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Weapon stats expansion  (Read 471 times)

Online Fidoric

• View Profile
Weapon stats expansion
« on: February 15, 2013, 02:41:37 PM »
Lately, I have been toying with some weapon characteristics that do not appear in the core rules. Not that they are truly needed, but I fear I am basically a fighter and always searching to expand their options...
I have attached a proposition for an expanded weapon table including some new stats and  would like very much to have feedbacks on those. Please note that this is only a first draft and likely need to be tuned finely.

Those new stats are :
1. ENC = not truly a game stat, it is just weight*length and was use as a broad guideline to sort weapons out.

2. Hands = the number of hands required to use the weapon

3. Reach = this stat tries to simulate the impact of longer weapons in combat. Each weapon is rated either short (roughly 1-2 feet), medium (2-4 feet), long (5-6 feet) or very long (6+ feet). That is the standard weapon reach. Basically, if two combatants are equipped with weapons with the same reach, they are likely to stay at the standard reach. But when two combatants use weapons with different reaches (dagger vs spear for example), one is likely to try to close with the other (the guy with the dagger) whereas the Spearman will try yo keep the dagger wielder at bay.
Each round, you can try to close or increase the distance between two combatants by using one AP and making an opposed Save vs Spd or acrobatic roll. If fighting is not in the standard weapon reach, each attack is made at an additional cost of 1 AP per difference in reach (eg. a short weapon at long range needs 2 additional APs to atack). Note that this give smaller weapons an edge as they require less AP to attack.
Weapon reach may be altered by combat moves (haft jab reduces reach - allowing a spear to be used at medium range without penalty - whereas lunge increases it). Reach may become an additional element for combat moves but I have not delve into this much yet).

4. Init mod = a simple adjustment to initiative roll to simulate weapon speed.  

5. DR (Main type) & DR (Secondary) = most weapons can be used to achieve different kinds of damage. For example, you can use the flat of a sword blade to cause bashing damages. Most of the time, the secondary DR is lesser than the primary DR (translating the fact that a weapon is more efficient when used in the way it was designed to be) but still it can be useful to change the kind of damage delivered (some monsters or different armor types may be more susceptible to slashing than to bashing attacks).

6. Min Str = some weapons require above average strength to be used effectively. I propose that for each point of strength below the minimum, the DR of the attack is reduced by 2. Somone with a stregth of 11 using a greatsword will only cause 6 points of base damage.  

7. Min Dex = some weapons are trickier to use than others (chains for example). I propose that for each point of dexterity lacking, each attack requires 1 additional AP.

Comments ?

Online Fidoric

• View Profile
Weapon stats expansion
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 05:41:15 PM »
I have forgotten the attachment and seem unable to edit the previous post to add it.
So, here is my draft of expanded weapon table.

[attachment[/attachment]

imported_Rasyr

Weapon stats expansion
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:13:20 PM »
During the alpha testing, development of Novus, we actually looked at the possibility of doing something along these lines (though not with exactly the same sort of attributes). We (me, with advice from the alpha playtesters) decided that it would be better to keep things simple, and then allow for expansion later on.

However, I cannot figure out the purpose of your ENC and reach seems odd to me as well. Weight already figures towards a character's Encumbrance (if that is what it is, though I don't see how length would figure into it). I have always used the weapon's length to figure out how far the character may "reach" with his weapon (I have always treated "reach" as 3' + weapon's length for most arms, and 3' + 1/2 weapon's length for pole arms/spears/staves (though maybe a base of 2' might be better). If using hexes, most weapons can be used to attack foes in an adjacent hex, with polearms/spears being able to attack up to 2 hexes away.

But overall, pretty good ideas just the same...

Online Fidoric

• View Profile
Weapon stats expansion
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 10:26:47 PM »
Regarding reach, I think you can easily change my reach value by an hex value and work from that.
Encumbrance was just an artificial value I used to compare weapons. That said, I think that an item size may be as relevant regarding its encumbrance as his weight. Some good example of this is pikes and wall shield. Even with a light wall shield, there are definitively some moves that aware extremely difficult to perform (rolling on the floor...).

I am well aware that all those propositions add complexity and do not have their place in the core rules. Maybe after some play testing they could make their way to a Libram novus or maybe a specialized Libram Belli ?  I am still eager for feedback.