Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Fidoric  (Read 443 times)

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
Fidoric
« on: December 02, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »
I have tried my hand with a high level character. This is a loose conversion of my namesake Fidoric formerly a 30th level fighter in RMSS from Middle-Earth.
If find the result quite good but I cannot guarantee I did not make some approximation along the way as I have bought skills by blocks of 5 ranks. Nonetheless, it should be a good indication of a high-level fighter. I have not play-tested it at the moment but my first impression is that he kicks ass ! For example he has :

AB+30 with broadsword (or +29 with sword&board style),
  - Base damage 15 (DR8 + str 2 + Wp specialty 2 + magic 3)
  - Multiple attacks become practical with 25 ranks and advanced combat training.
  - Very high DEF 37 (15+3 speed + 3 armor + 9 shield (full +4, shield training +1, style ability +2, magic +2) + 7 combat training (CT2 + 25rks in heavy blades)).
All this means he possibly attack twice (or more) with +25, DEF 37 and base damage 15 !

Some questions arose with his combat style:
  - The second ability in sword and board is second weapon attack. It is to be used with tiny or small weapons. I think most shields should be bigger; a full shield should be medium or large I think.
  - Besides, this ability allow to perform an additional attack. Does it come in addition of the additional attacks from high skill ?
  - Last option available with that ability, you can forsake your additional attack for an additional (rk-3) to DEF. With 24 rks, it is a straight bonus of 21 to DEF (total DEF = 58 ?).
I think this option works better with daggers and the likes so maybe it should be removed from the sword and board style.

Finally, I have given him a +3 sword (AB and DR) instead of a +25 OB in RMSS, a +3 mail shirt instead of a +15 or +20 mail hauberk (AT16) and a +2 full shield. I think this is not too much for a high level character.

Here is a short summary of Fidoric:

Human, highlander culture (close to rural), level 30
CHR 10, CON 14, DEX 16, INT 11, SPD 19 (save +9), STR 16, WIL 13, WIS 14
DEF 37, AR 14 (Chain hauberk + Full shield)
HP 72, SP 0, Fate 3, Move 10, init 4 (+lightning reflexes)

Combat:
+30 heavy blades (broadsword) (15)
+29 sword & boeard (15) (all moves)
+15 boxing ([attachment[/attachment]

imported_Rasyr

Fidoric
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 04:09:23 PM »

Some questions arose with his combat style:
  - The second ability in sword and board is second weapon attack. It is to be used with tiny or small weapons. I think most shields should be bigger; a full shield should be medium or large I think.

Considering the amount of damage that could be done using a shield (2, 3 or 4 points + Str Bonus), and how shields are held/used, which is different from other weapons, I

- Besides, this ability allow to perform an additional attack. Does it come in addition of the additional attacks from high skill ?

Read the last paragraph of Advanced Combat Training --- basically, ACT cannot be used with any skill or talent that grants multple attacks. Therefore, you are limited to using the rules from page 45 if you with to make more than 2 attacks in a round using Sword and Board (and remember, the modifiers apply to the base Attack Bonus BEFORE splitting it up between attacks (and for Sword & Board, it would apply to the AB usable by BOTH sword and shield before those adjustments are made

- Last option available with that ability, you can forsake your additional attack for an additional (rk-3) to DEF. With 24 rks, it is a straight bonus of 21 to DEF (total DEF = 58 ?).

I would say that that applies only to standard weapons, not to shields.

And actually, it looks like I made a mistake in reworking the Sowrd & Board style. Second Weapon attack should NOT be an additional ability for it, since a variant of it is ALREADY part of the style itself (hence the shield bash and shield ram moves being available) -- I will have to go back and correct that (and expanding the style description accordingly). Enhanced Shielding shouls be the second ability, not the first. Sorry..

I think this option works better with daggers and the likes so maybe it should be removed from the sword and board style.

As I said above, I made a mistake, but do not forget the limitations on Advanced Combat Training....