Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Tweaking the magic system to build ritual magic  (Read 944 times)

Offline Dorchadas

• View Profile
Tweaking the magic system to build ritual magic
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:33:48 AM »
I love the way Novus handles normal spellcasting, with small lists of thematically linked spells, but I like the idea of seeking out ancient crumbling tomes and exotic ingredients and chanting for hours under the dark of the new moon, and right now that's not really modeled other than in the summoning rules. I'd love a way to make rituals that are more powerful than normal spells, but also more risky--something like the way WFPR 2e does it.

I have Librum Novus 1, and it might just take adding some additional Universal Options to tweak the cost and prevent it from inflating so high that the spell is impossible to cast. Something like...

New Universal Consequences
Harm to the Caster
Note: All of these assume the harm only happens if the spell is failed. If the harm happens regardless of success or failure, double the reduction to the Casting Number.
Minor Harm (-2): The caster automatically takes damage equal to the spell point cost after the casting of the spell. This stacks with any damage from Snags.
Moderate Harm (-4): The caster automatically takes damage equal to double the spell point cost after the casting of the spell. This stacks with any damage from Snags.
Serious Harm (-

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 05:32:34 AM »
Actually, that does look like a good start.....

I was planning on eventually adding ritual magic to Novus, and what you came up with definitely looks like a very good start.....

Now, there are some things that I would do differently (such as allowing for multiple casters working together (i.e. like a witch's coven), and there would also be certain limitations that I would impose to help prevent the most obvious abuses (for example, put a limit that the negative modifiers cannot exceed more than 50%-60% of the total of the positive TN modifiers (or perhaps give a max neg mod based on the total TN prior to the neg modifiers) - to prevent somebody from taking the negatives to such extremes that the TN is extremely low).

As for your Sleep Ritual, Novus already has a Sleep Spell, so I would use the same base, so instead of:

Base: Flash
12 (base Casting Number) + 5 (Stun) + 15 (no saving throw) + 16 (1 mile radius) + 20 (paid for Permanent, duration is 100 years) + 10 (10 mile range) = 78
-10 (caster falls into an enchanted slumber for 100 years if the spell fails) - 12 (one hour casting time) - 10 (spell must be cast during the dark of the moon) - 10 (requires sand from the hottest desert in the world) = -42
Total Casting Number: 36

You would get something more along the lines of:

Base: Influence/Ward
12 (base Casting Number) + 5 (Influence - Simple Command - go to sleep) + 10 (Ward - special - vs. aging/malnutrition (i.e. putting them in stasis of sorts)) + 15 (no saving throw) + 16 (1 mile radius) + 20 (paid for Permanent, duration is 100 years) + 10 (10 mile range) = 88
-10 (caster falls into an enchanted slumber for 100 years if the spell fails) - 12 (one hour casting time) - 10 (spell must be cast during the dark of the moon) - 10 (requires sand from the hottest desert in the world) = -42
Total Casting Number: 46

Afterall, you aren't trying to kill them.... 

Offline Dorchadas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 04:03:28 PM »

Actually, that does look like a good start.....

I was planning on eventually adding ritual magic to Novus, and what you came up with definitely looks like a very good start.....

Thanks! 

Now, there are some things that I would do differently (such as allowing for multiple casters working together (i.e. like a witch's coven)

I was planning to include group casting next, but I couldn't think of a satisfactory way to do it while I was writing the modifiers so I decided to give it some more thought. Whether the extra casters should require further rolls or just provide a passive bonus, if they need to know the ritual too or just the same magical path as the caster, if there should be a "requires additional casters" option and how that would interact with casters modifying the Casting Number, etc. It's coming!

10 (Ward - special - vs. aging/malnutrition (i.e. putting them in stasis of sorts))

Afterall, you aren't trying to kill them.... 

Oops!  :-[

On the other hand, that's a good reminder of how easy this kind of thing is to break if one isn't careful. And on the third hand, the idea of "ward vs. aging" gives me ideas of rituals for lichdom and various other ways to attain immortality.

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 05:17:41 PM »

On the other hand, that's a good reminder of how easy this kind of thing is to break if one isn't careful. And on the third hand, the idea of "ward vs. aging" gives me ideas of rituals for lichdom and various other ways to attain immortality.

Yup, one of the main reasons I want to eventually include rituals...

There would even be ritualls of ascension (for becoming a "DragonMage" (a human who shifts into a dragon form, as opposed to a dragon who shifts to human in order to "slum it"), the lich ritual, a more powerful one for becoming a lich lord, rituals for major curses (such as lycanthropy, but where the target does NOT have to be bitten), summoning of super power entities (major servants of deities) opening gateways more powerful than a normal spell ever could, etc...

All sorts of ideas....

Anyway, I was figuring that to do magic rituals, you would need a Magecraft: Rituals skill (that  minor ritual that the Warrior Mage knows for creating a bonded weapon does not count here as that is a personal ritual with a limited effect). Then each ritual could be treated as something along the lines of a Training Path... (i.e. you meet the prerequisites, pay some Character Points, and you know the ritual). Yes, you could even supply characters with books that contain various rituals, but until they actually gain the TP for that Ritual, they simply "don't understand it enough to perform it with any chance of success" yet.

For multiple casters -- I would suggest that each additional caster (call them secondary casters) provide a bonus, based upon the number of ranks they have in Magecraft: Ritual. Perhaps +1 to casting roll for every 10 ranks in Magecraft: Ritual, if they do not know the ritual. +1 for every 5 ranks if they do know the ritual -- the main person (the focal caster) performing the ritual is the only one actually making the roll... For those who aid in this way, failure is a smaller risk - they would only suffer half the adverse effects (where possible -- for example if failure results in death, then those who aid in this manner would be put into a coma, 1 hit from death, and would only gain 1 point per day until fully recovered (presuming somebody is caring for their body), and not wake up until they have fully healed -- those who are not taken care of would be in coma, recovering as above, but then also suffering from not eating/drinking as well (so they would hover near death for a while and then eventually die anyways)  --- good reason to have minions who do NOT aid in the ritual, but who are there just in case the worst happens....

Now, this is just for them to aid in performing the basic ritual....

Those who know the ritual can also help to increase the power of the ritual. If you think of each category of adjustment as a series of steps, then a second mage who knows the ritual, can increase an element by a single step without increasing/decreasing the modifier (i.e. change the range from 100 yard to 500 yard while still only adding +4 to the TN of the ritual, or changing the casting time from 1 day to 12 hours while retaining the -18 modifier that normally goes with a casting time of 1 day).

As I said, this sort of aid would be limited to those who KNOW the ritual, and aiding in this manner prevents having their ranks being applied as a secondary caster, they would be a focal caster as well, and fully share in any adverse effects... If there is more than one focal caster, then the one who actually rolls would be the primary focal caster.

Offline Dorchadas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
That all sounds really good!

When using those, I might also add a (-2) per each additional caster required to cast the ritual at all, where only casters beyond the minimum number can change the ritual's parameters or provide a bonus, with a maximum of 13 total casters per ritual because it sounds nicely mystically significant.

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 10:10:52 PM »
I like that limit of 13 as well (as 13 is the traditional number of a coven), and the minimum number of casters required is also a good addition as well, as that can also pose some of its own issues...

as for elements....

Common Herbs (-1)
Rare Herbs (-3)
Magical Herbs (-5)
Multiple herbs may be used, if appropriate, but Herbs cannot grants greater than a -10 modifier in total.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 06:04:08 PM »
That's a great work !
Definitively something worth of its own LN.

Offline Dorchadas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 02:56:27 AM »
Here's a few more rituals I've thought of to further illustrate the concept:

Command the Tomb Legions
CTN: 28
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: 250 yard radius
Duration: Special
Prerequisites: Magecraft: Circles 10, Magecraft: Undead Lore 20, Crafting: Tailor 4
Consequences: If the ritual is failed, the targets animate in a rage and seek to tear the caster limb from limb
The caster must weave together a war banner from the cerements of the dead, and then travel to a battlefield where two armies clashed. Speaking in the language of one of the dead armies, the caster exhorts them to respond to the presence of their ancient war banner and rise to fight once more against a specific foe. If the spell is successful, then all of the corpses within the spell's range who belonged to that army rise as skeletons under the command of the caster for as long as they hold the war banner. The skeletal army will obey all commands related to the destruction of the foe named in the casting of the spell, but may not be otherwise freely commanded. When the enemy named is destroyed, the army will return to their former resting place and lose their animation. If the war banner is destroyed they will do the same, but only after seeking to kill the caster of the ritual.
Base: Summon/Influence

CTN: 12 (base) +4 (summon Lesser Undead) + 20 (Permanent duration) + 8 (Complex Command) + 12 (250 yard range) = 56 - 8 (Serious Harm) - 12 (casting time) - 5 (rare materials) - 5 (special location) = 26, raised to 28 (keeping half the initial CTN as minimum)

Final Strike
CTN: 12
Casting Time: Instant
Range: 10 yard radius
Duration: Instant
Prerequisites: Magecraft 2
Consequences: The caster dies in either case, but if the casting fails, their body is completely incinerated by the outpouring of magical energies with no other effect.
This devastating ritual is only used by magicians who are absolutely certain that their death is nigh. The caster pours out all of their life force into a destructive blast, seeking to take their enemies with them. When the spell is cast, the magician spends all of their remaining Hit Points and Spell Points. The base range is a 10 yard radius around the caster and a Base Damage of 4 points plus the Scalable Damage, but for every 10 points combined of Hit and Spell Points spent in the casting of the ritual, the caster may double either the range or the damage of the ritual. The ease of casting this ritual and its effectiveness in providing immediate vengeance is one of the major reasons why conflict between wizards rarely escalates to open war.
Base: Attack

CTN: 12 + 1 (base damage) + 10 (special: damage doubling effect) + 6 (10 yard range) = 29 - 30 (caster always dies when the ritual is cast) = 12 minimum

Eternal Imprisonment
CTN: 37
Casting Time: 6 hours
Range: Touch
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisites: Magecraft 12
Consequences: None
This powerful ritual requires 4 casters, but it allows a group of wizards to place a single target into stasis in a crystalline prison. The target must be placed in a circle inlaid with mithril and iron and remain stationary for the entire duration of the ritual, but Eternal Imprisonment does not itself immobilize the target until the ritual is complete. If successful, an enormous crystal forms around the target, preventing them from taking any action at all for as long as the ritual lasts. It can be unwoven by anyone who knows Eternal Imprisonment and has enough time, but the casters must also choose a trigger condition that can be used to free the target. This can be a password, a length of time, a particular event such as a stellar conjunction, the presence of an item or person, and so on.
Base: Flash/Ward

CTN: 12 + 20 (Duration) + 5 (Stun) + 10 (Ward vs. Aging/Hunger/Thirst) + 15 (no Saving Throw) =  62 - 14 (casting time) - 6 (3 additional casters required) - 5 (rare materials) = 37

Unlock the World Knot
CTN: 26
Casting Time: 5 minutes
Range: Unlimited
Prerequisites: Magecraft 15, Navigation 5
Consequences: The caster and their companions are hurled to a random destination.
Across the world are the circles of standing stones known as World Knots. To most people, they are simply the remnants of a bygone era, but those who know their secrets can stand in them and unlock the fabric of space to transport themselves in the blink of an eye to a new destination. When the ritual is cast, everyone within the confines of the World Knot is transported to another World Knot. The caster must know the location of the World Knot they want to transport to to within at least a couple miles, though they need not have visited the exact spot, and they must have spent at least an hour at the location they are transporting from. Failure to perform the ritual properly or to meet the above conditions hurls the caster and their party to a random World Knot within the network.
Base: Teleportation

CTN: 12 + 15 (any distance) + 5 (target area is slightly known) +6 (10 yard radius) = 38 - 4 (moderate harm: teleporting to random location)  - 8 (casting time) = 26

Offline Dorchadas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 03:26:13 AM »
Unlock the World Knot
CTN: 21
Casting Time: 5 minutes
Range: Unlimited
Prerequisites: Magecraft 15, Navigation 5
Consequences: The caster and their companions are hurled to a random destination.
Across the world are the circles of standing stones known as World Knots. To most people, they are simply the remnants of a bygone era, but those who know their secrets can stand in them and unlock the fabric of space to transport themselves in the blink of an eye to a new destination. When the ritual is cast, everyone within the confines of the World Knot is transported to another World Knot. The caster must know the location of the World Knot they want to transport to to within at least a couple miles, though they need not have visited the exact spot, and they must have spent at least an hour at the location they are transporting from. Failure to perform the ritual properly or to meet the above conditions hurls the caster and their party to a random World Knot within the network.
Base: Teleportation

CTN: 12 + 15 (any distance) + 5 (target area is slightly known) +6 (10 yard radius) = 38 - 4 (moderate harm: teleporting to random location)  - 8 (casting time) - 5 (requires specific location) = 21

Time limit for edits has passed, but there's the fixed version. I forgot the CTN reduction for needing to cast it in a specific place.  :-[

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 05:26:50 AM »
Very Cool!

Offline Dorchadas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 04:14:29 AM »
Thanks!

Final Strike should be CTN 14--I forgot to bump up the CTN to be no less than half the pre-modifier CTN.

Here's a couple more!

Hidden Paths
CTN: 43
Casting Time: 9 hours
Range: 500 yard radius
Duration: Special
Prerequisites: Magecraft 15, Survival 5, Tracking 5
Consequences: If the ritual is failed, the location becomes easier for hostile forces to discover. Anyone attempting to find the village receives a +8 bonus to their Navigation or Tracking rolls to do so. Any attempt to recast the spell before a year and a day automatically fails.
This ritual is often used to conceal the villages of the elves from prying eyes. The three casters must stand around the tree that is to be the focus on the ritual and sprinkle its roots with powdered silver mixed with water that has been undisturbed under the open sky for a full lunar month. If the ritual is successful, than the forest (and it must be cast in a forest) around the village warps and twists itself to turn away anyone around the area enclosed by the radius of the spell. Effected beings will believe they are traveling in a straight line, but will actually be directed in a circuitous path around the location. Only a successful Tracking roll (TN 35) can defeat the web of illusion. The spell's duration is affected by the complex motions of the stars as reflected in the elven calendar, but a single casting typically lasts around 140 years.
Base: Illusion

CTN: 12 + 5 (Illusion: Touch, Sight, Hearing) + 21 (Tier 7 Illusion) + 14 (range) + 20 (duration) = 72 - 5 (rare materials) - 5 location) - 14 (casting time) - 4 (additional casters) - 6 (consequences)

The Bond of Fang and Talon
CTN: 24
Casting Time: 1 day
Range: Touch
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisites: Magecraft 10, Magecraft: Circles 10, Magecraft: Nature Lore 15
Consequences: The ritual is effective, but the target becomes a ravening hybrid monster and immediately attacks the practitioner(s).
The Bond of Fang and Talon merges an animal spirit with the target, allowing them to draw on the spirit's power. Mechnically, the target may buy talents such as Accelerated Mending, Acute Hearing, Sturdy Build, Shapeshifting, Tough Skin, or anything else that is appropriate to the particular spirit they are bonded with. A raven spirit may grant the target the ability to transform into a raven or the Mnemonic Ear talent, while a wolf spirit might grant the wolf's claws and sense of smell (Innate Melee Attack and Acute Smell). The ritual does not locate or bind the appropriate animal spirit, and one must be on hand and willing to participate or it cannot be cast.
Base: Transform

CTN: 12 + 15 (Transform: Radical Change) + 20 (Permanent) = 47 - 5 (rare ingredients) - 18 (casting time) = 24

Offline Dorchadas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 04:30:38 AM »
I realized that people with the Sense Magic Talent should probably be able to feel the casting of rituals from farther away than 100 feet, so I came up with this chart:

CTN 12-16: 100 yards
CTN 17-21:  500 yards
CTN 22-26: 2500 yards
CTN 27-31: 5 miles
CTN 32-36: 20 miles
CTN 37-41: 50 miles
CTN 42-46: 100 miles
CTN 47-51: 250 miles
CTN 52-56: 1000 miles
CTN 57+: Anywhere on the planet

This won't tell them anything other than that someone is using a ritual and the general direction it's occurring, but I think it's important that if a vampire lord is trying to use a convenient eclipse to cast Unending Darkness and blot out the sun for a century so as to rule the world beneath its bloody-handed grip that people at least should be able to know it's happening. CTN: 12 + 12 (duration) + 16 + (Influence: Master) + 16 (area affected) + 15 (range) = 71 - 5 (rare ingredient) - 12 (casting time) - 15 (consequences) = 39

Offline Dorchadas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 05:19:30 AM »
Wow, that's not a very forgiving edit window. Revised:

Eruption of Hatred
CTN: 35
Casting Time: 4 hours
Range: 20 mile range
Duration: 2 days
Save: Will (TN 21)
Prerequisites: Magecraft 20
Consequences: If the casting fails, the hatred the caster is attempting to channel rebounds entirely on them, consuming them in a burst of blood-red fire.
Description: With this ritual, the caster can encite an entire city into a frothing, homicidal rage. After annoiting the body of a living sacrifice in the blood of a murderer executed for a crime of passion and then performing the sacrifice using a murder weapon while burning certain herbs that only grow on sites where blood was spilled, the ritual is cast. If successful, everyone within a mile radius of its center must Save vs. its effects or fly into a rage and attack the closest living thing, heedless of their own safety or any relation they have to the target. Servants will attack masters, children parents, wives husbands, family dogs their charges, and so on. Unsurprisingly, even knowledge of this gruesome ritual is not looked on with favor by most civilized wizards.
Base: Influence

CTN: 12 + 12 (duration) + 16 + (Influence: Master) + 16 (area affected) + 15 (range) = 71 - 5 (rare ingredient) - 12 (casting time) - 15 (consequences) - 5 (magical herbs) = 34, raised to 35.

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 05:22:12 AM »
I will have to see if I can remember where to find that setting for the edit window...

Offline Dorchadas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 05:34:37 AM »
Hmm...I wonder if the Range and Area charts should go up by 3 or 4 at a step instead of 2. Some of the CTN's seem a bit low, and there's already a good way to lower high CTN's by getting acolytes or adding extra casters.