Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Saves  (Read 109 times)

imported_Witchking20k

Saves
« on: April 15, 2014, 07:14:46 PM »
Hello all,

I have been using a new set of Saves recently.  Thought I would share it.  I use 4 Saves Reflexes = DEX+SPD, Stamina =STR+CON, Wits= INT+WIS, and Will = WILL+CHA.

I tend to use saves a lot in game and decided to combine them as a GM tool after players started to "question" to debate which stats I asked for Saves from.  They seemed Quite happy with only 4 Saves and like the idea that Wits(for example) covers being both clever and wise...

I am working on a custom character sheet using them too.

imported_Rasyr

Saves
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:49:11 PM »
Ooohh... I like that idea

To pull from the psionics thread, If you are combining multiple stats for Saves, ay I suggest only doing a +3 to those stats instead of the base +5 (which was there only because of it being a single stat...)

imported_Witchking20k

Saves
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 08:50:58 PM »
I was only using the 2 Stats quite successfully....but, maybe the +3 would make sense.

imported_Rasyr

Saves
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:02:38 PM »
and how is this for a customized character sheet...

[attachment[/attachment]

imported_Witchking20k

Saves
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:06:20 PM »
LOVE it.  Thanks.  LOL. 

imported_Rasyr

Saves
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 02:43:08 PM »
On more thought, the stat Willpower (often abbreviated to Will) is likely to cause confusion as well.

So I am going to make a few more alterations, renaming the Willpower stat to something like Resolve (Res) or Discipline (Dis) so that there will be no confusion between the stat and the Will Save....

Edit

And here it is....

It was an easy change...

[attachment[/attachment]

Offline bucephalos

• View Profile
Saves
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 04:55:07 PM »
Hi!

I like this change, as it simplifies things for people used to d20. That said, isn't it a little easier to change the save name to 'Resolve' and leave the stat 'Willpower'?

Willpower doesn't seem to be used by any skills except Spellcasting and Magecraft for Mystics, so maybe not a big deal.

imported_Rasyr

Saves
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 05:31:04 PM »
First of -- welcome to the forums!! Glad that you are chiming in!

As for changing the name of the Save from Will to Resolve, I am sure that there are likely an equal number of arguments in both directions, which means that it comes down to personal aesthetics.

And to me, that means having the Save be Will, and the stat be resolve (I was never 100% happy using Willpower, but at the time of writing Novus, I had been unable to come up with a better alternative, and didn't want to simply use Will by itself). Having come down the road a bit from that initial writing/testing period, I find that I like resolve better as works well for defining a "strength of will" or "self discipline", etc...

Offline bucephalos

• View Profile
Saves
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 05:35:42 PM »
Yeah that makes sense.  I actually really like resolve as a stat vs. willpower as well, because it's easier to keep the distinct from Wisdom in my brain. 

imported_Rasyr

Saves
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 05:43:40 PM »
Exactly! That was part of my thinking as well.....

There is no stat that starts with an "R", so changing it to Resolve works there (there is already a Save that begins with "R" - Reflex, but none that begin with "W" except Will, which is the one under consideration).

imported_Witchking20k

Saves
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 04:02:41 PM »
Thanks Tim!- I often rename the Stats as part of "Branding" the game for a setting....Agility, Might, Toughness, Quickness, Resolve, Cunning, Majesty, and Wisdom for example...

imported_Rasyr

Saves
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 04:15:23 PM »
Cool! if you want a character sheet specifically rebranded using your stat designations, let me know (It would not be too hard to do)

Offline sladesy

• View Profile
Saves
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 09:01:08 PM »

Cool! if you want a character sheet specifically rebranded using your stat designations, let me know (It would not be too hard to do)

this right here is one of the many reasons i may never go back to using games from the big guys.

imported_Rasyr

Saves
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 09:35:30 PM »
awwww... you are going to make me blush...

:-[

Offline Dorchadas

• View Profile
Saves
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 06:21:02 AM »
Huh. In my "Get rid of saves entirely and make it all skill-based" hack idea, I was going to use Resolve as the skill for resisting mental effects (Endurance was going to be the skill for resisting physical ones). Then Athletics (STR), Acrobatics (DEX/SPD), and Perception (WIS) fill out the remaining resistances.