Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: D&D next basic rules  (Read 1496 times)

imported_Rasyr

D&D next basic rules
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 07:51:43 PM »
8? Ouchie!!!

A stiff breeze might hurt your character....

imported_Witchking20k

D&D next basic rules
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »
The Dwarven warrior better not pass gas as I hide behind him....to properly observe the heroics of course...

imported_Witchking20k

D&D next basic rules
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 09:17:41 PM »
Totally died.  Had 8 HP and took 2 arrows from a pair of goblins after a natural 1 on a stealth roll.  The magic was ridiculous.  I have a thunder wave spell at level 1 that does 2d8 sonic damage (now I can only cast 2 level 1 spells mind you).  My vicious mockery cantrip does a d4 of damage on a failed save....which, of course is activated with..."Your mother was a hampster!" AC is now meet or exceed to hit.  So, everyone got hurt, even the dwarf wizard in scale mail- yup, you read that correctly. 

imported_Rasyr

D&D next basic rules
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 11:02:08 PM »
Yeah, I knew that spell casters can wear armor while casting, providing that they have the armor proficiency or whatever it is called.

And there are apparently a number of cantrips that can deal damage. Since cantrips can be cast an unlimited amount of times (IIRC), that provides spell users with a ranged attack every round.

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
D&D next basic rules
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2014, 01:30:35 PM »
From what I've heard D&D is fairly deadly, which surprises me after reading through it.  I have heard that the monsters are tough as nails.   With all of the easy healing, the multiple death saving throws, etc. it just seemed like death would be a thing of the past.  I'm going to have to give it a shot and see how it goes. 

I've been kicking around the idea of running Cyradon with D&D 5E. 

imported_Witchking20k

D&D next basic rules
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2014, 02:37:10 PM »
Its quite good.  Level 1 is deadly because you have so few HPs.  And the Death saving throw is making 3 success before 3 failures- which a level 1 Bard is not so good at.  They eliminated the "minion" which basically was the 4E answer to everyone having so many hit points IMO (and I loved them); so the monsters have HPs just like the players.  Our party of 4 fought a total of 12 enemies in a 2 part adventure.  We had 1 fatality and one character downed then stabilized by another character.  The short rest-long rest mechanic (when used properly) is very good too.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
D&D next basic rules
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2014, 03:11:06 PM »
At first level, combat are deadly. My first level Elf scout has been downed by a single goblin to my eternal fame...
Luckily, my cleric friend was able to heal me quickly.
Magic seems a little bit too powerful for my taste. A first level mage using Burning Hands has incinerated a bunch of 5 GOblins...

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
D&D next basic rules
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2014, 04:12:32 PM »
Yeah, I think any house rules I make will be to weaken magic somehow, but we shall see.  I like the idea of spells being easily interrupted if the caster gets hit so I will try to incorporate that. 

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
D&D next basic rules
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2014, 07:29:23 PM »
So far our adventures are going well. The rules are not the most accurate I have seen but they are quick and simple to implement and don't come in the way of role playing. I think this version is a excellent way to discover RPGs.

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
D&D next basic rules
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2014, 01:51:32 AM »
I know a lot of OSR types like myself are coming back to it and giving it a gander.  I know the old school D&D and retro-clone blogs have a lot of do-it-yourself 5E material already.

I've been tinkering on my 5E Cyradon hack, and it is moving along slowly.

Offline Sunwolf

• View Profile
D&D next basic rules
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2014, 09:59:39 PM »
I'm kind of curious of what is really in the Player's Handbook for this go round.  The Official website really doesn't give you a very good idea of what it contains.
How many Classes does it actually contain?  Do you feel it has sufficient options for the classes presented?  Anything in the book that was covered with more depth than needed?

imported_Rasyr

D&D next basic rules
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2014, 10:19:16 PM »
yes, if you have a copy of the PHB, please tell

imported_Witchking20k

D&D next basic rules
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2014, 01:53:27 AM »
It expands the classes first of all, as well as backgrounds, and races.  It also has 6-8 pages of monster at the back of it.  Essentially, you can run D&D next with just eh players handbook because it gives you all the spells and covers the core mechanics too.  As is typical of D&D it is very well laid out and is visually appealing.