Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Modern Gaming & Conflict  (Read 483 times)

imported_Witchking20k

Modern Gaming & Conflict
« on: August 25, 2014, 08:14:46 PM »
So, I was chatting with a long time player and friend of mine and we were discussing the idea of Old School games vs. Newer systems.  (I have picked up the Novus: Old School Hack again as I may have some time to spend on it this week).

Our discussion led us to the question of what made some of the older systems popular...and one of the systems that we have both played extensively is MERP...and it became apparent that MERP was unique in some ways because it embraced more than just the "combat encounter" aspect of adventuring in Middle Earth.  Being a Tolkein guy I reflected that the world and setting was much more Man vs. Society and Man vs. the Environment than the easily accomplished Man vs. Man mechanics that many games (not all) focus on now.  And the MERP combt system encouraged avoiding combat.  MERP provided an outline (albeit crude) of how to handle what was called a Strategic Environment encounter- specifically scouting for herbs and adventure sites and tracking vs. tracking encounters.

We mused about how we played an entire session canoeing up stream into northern Eriador by making Movement Rolls, searching for Herbs, and avoiding an encounter with Orcs from Angmar in order to return to the town we originated from and deliver these Herbs to a local healer. 

I'm not sure if there is a point to this- but it seems that this type of roleplaying mechanic is being written out of games.  D&D next has stripped away the really good Skill Test mechanic of 4E and uses the simple TN system that most other games do.  Rolemaster is being re-vamped and will likely keep the Static & Moving Manoeuvres- but suffers from the "too complicated" reputation. I haven't looked at Vampire in years- but, it had a great Man vs. Himself mechanic...

I guess I just wonder if the response to a shrinking financial market for RPGs is making them simpler- rather than making them more engaging.

Any thoughts on this? 

imported_Rasyr

Modern Gaming & Conflict
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 03:07:34 AM »

I'm not sure if there is a point to this- but it seems that this type of roleplaying mechanic is being written out of games.  D&D next has stripped away the really good Skill Test mechanic of 4E and uses the simple TN system that most other games do.  Rolemaster is being re-vamped and will likely keep the Static & Moving Manoeuvres- but suffers from the "too complicated" reputation. I haven't looked at Vampire in years- but, it had a great Man vs. Himself mechanic...

I guess I just wonder if the response to a shrinking financial market for RPGs is making them simpler- rather than making them more engaging.

Ever since the first time I played Rolemaster, with its list of skills, I have loved the concept that adventures can be more than just combat, and that combat not only CAN be deadly, but should be something to be avoided unless you have to.

It was that sort of concept that led me to develop the XP system I used in HARP, and more recently the XP system that I use in Novus. Where the system allows for combat, but doesn't stress it. Instead it stresses having adventures and having encounters (which need not be combat) and accomplishing goals.

One thing that I have noticed over the years -- the XP system of a game often has a strong influence over the type of adventures that players get involved in.

imported_Witchking20k

Modern Gaming & Conflict
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 03:10:53 PM »
I agree 100% with the XP observation. 

I re-read some of my MERP material last night.  The XP system rewarded the use of skills for sure- and spells for that matter.  I rarely use XP in truth.  Our games are infrequent enough that I basically advance a player character based on how many sessions we play and speed up the story line.  After 1 session you advance from 1-2, after 2 more sessions you advance from 2-3...etc

I guess what I miss is the mechanics being a part of the dramatic process- something that the MM tables and the SM tables in MERP and RM did well.  You could use them toe simulate actions taking a few rounds to accomplish due to partial successes.  But, more importantly, because they were used as the core resolution mechanic- adventures were written taking them into account.

As a GM (and I consider myself to be a good one) I believe that all characters need to have a chance to shine- and always write a skill based challenge or two into a session....but, maybe I am the exception not the norm.  One of my frustrations with 4E for example was that my Rogue only got better at combat powers every level, his skills improved every other level. 

When I was drafting the linear development for the Novus Hack- that was one of my considerations.  Getting better at what you do every level.

imported_Rasyr

Modern Gaming & Conflict
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »
Just had a minor epiphany of sorts regarding your Old School hack... Will post it over in that thread....