Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Of Psi Mind  (Read 527 times)

imported_Rasyr

Of Psi Mind
« on: January 13, 2019, 12:28:39 PM »
I am finally getting back to work and what I am working on is a system for Psionics for Novus.

This post is meant to be an overview of how they will work, since they do work a little differently than magic does.

I will be posting different sections within spoiler tags, so that you can pick and choose what you want to view.

Characters will be limited to having no more than 7 active psionic abilities at a time. They may easily know many more than that, but only 7 can be active. These match the 7 Chakras of certain types of spiritualism.

Disciplines are learned separately. You must have one of the proper Talents to be able to learn Disciplines. The number you can learn is based on the Talent and your Stat bonuses. (Yes, there will be psionic classes and wild psionics, plus some Talents can be defined as psionic in nature (this is up to the GM).

Having more than one Discipline active at a time is harder (there is a negative modifier for each Discipline active). Each Discipline has a base Strength, and the total Strength for all active Disciplines cannot exceed the Skill Bonus for the Psionic Focus skill.

Activating a Discipline requires a roll with a TN of 14+PSR (Psionic Strength Rating). Your bonus for this roll is based on the stats associated with the Discipline. And each Discipline can have from 1-3 stats (Stat+Stat+Stat; 3+Stat+Stat; or 5+Stat -- stat bonuses that is). You can also get a talent which grants a +1 to the activation of a Discipline (or a Path).

A Path is a group of related Disciplines. Normally you can choose what Discipline to learn when you decide to learn it. For a Path, you must create the Path before learning ANY of the Disciplines on it, and the list of Disciplines cannot ever be changed afterwards. The Disciplines on a Path cost less points to learn (i.e a Path with 6 Discipline slots uses 4 regular Discipline Slots, and there are some requirements in creating them) (Note: The Path will have point cost based on the disciplines it contains, and once the initial Path is purchased, you can then purchase the Disciplines on it at the discounted cost)

I currently have a list of about 50 Minor Disciplines and about 32 Major Disciplines -- the main difference between them is the base Strength and how they fit into Paths.

Many Disciplines may have options that can be used to increase their effect/Strength. (similar to casting options, but these option affect both the Strength of the Discipline and the Activation Target number separately

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
Of Psi Mind
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 01:00:47 PM »
Cool- so, for my Space Opera setting I am using a 3 tiered trainable talent.  Each Tier will see the Psionic gain more abilities and have an increased level of effect.  I want it to be something that is useful, and more of an augmentation ability unless you are a master.  I've been combing through d6 star wars to try and build an interesting set of abilities.  I'd like to have (maybe) 3 disciplines inside of the Psionic ability and each PC have to choose their level of sensitivity to them - that way they would specialize in one, be average in one, and struggling in another.  My initial idea is to use the existing Novus spells and spell purchase system as a guideline.  So, there would be 3 smaller spell lists of 3-4 spells: you'd learn one list a Major Adept, one as a Minor Adept, and one as a None Adept.  Thoughts?

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
Of Psi Mind
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 01:45:09 PM »
Here is a quick look at the three disciplines I have created.  I am still deciding on mechanics, but, generally when I create a micro-setting I try to diverge from the NOVUS full rules as little as possible (gotta give Tim an in for some $$$)

Maestro

Of Psi Mind
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 09:38:54 PM »
Whoa this is a lot! Now we are moving right along!
  Its a little hard for me to wrap my head around whats being said, so let me state what I understand so far and you guys correct me;
  There are paths, which are a collection of disciplines. Disciplines are individual moves for Psi, like spells for mages. The stat bonuses you apply will be per discipline, not the path (whereas in magic, all spells of the same school have the same stat bonus.) I like the idea of being able to make multiple things happen at the same time with psi, and as it stands, the more you have going, the weaker each individual power will be. (Much like splitting your attack bonus between multiple attacks.) I don't understand what the difference between a major and minor discipline is, unfortunately.
  So a couple of questions. Firstly, just as magic has an SP cost, will Psi have its own pool of points? Secondly, currently in Novus, its not too hard for a player character to get access to magic, say if he was a warrior but wanted to learn a couple of simple side spells later on. Would Psi be that accessible as well, or is it something that must be bought at character creation?

Maestro

Of Psi Mind
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 09:45:39 PM »
Also Areslunther, I looked a while back through the spell list and I don't recall seeing a telekinesis move either. There were things that had aspects of telekinesis, like the disk. But no full on control like, the force, for example.

imported_Rasyr

Of Psi Mind
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 12:35:35 AM »
The difference between Major and Minor Disciplines is essentially one of Strength. Minor have a base Strength of 1-3, Major have a strength 4 or above.

I have my current lists, which I will post below, but I may need to update or change some of them.

No, there is not pool of power or spell points. For Disciplines, you have the Psionic Focus Skill. Say you have a skill bonus of 12 total.

As long as the total Strength of all active Disciplines is less than or equal to 12, you are good. For example, you have 2 Disciplines active (and any non-Instant Discipline, such as an attack, stays active until you shut it down) and they have a total Strength of 10 between the 2 of them. You want to use an attack Discipline, which has a Base Strength of 3. You would not be able to do so, since you only have 2 points of Strength available.

Also, once you release a Discipline (stop using it), that Strength is NOT instantly available. You recover it at a rate equal to your Will bonus each round. So you would have to relax the Discipline, then you could do something else the next round (presuming you now have enough Focus available).

Disciplines    --- Descripton
Adaptation   --- adapts body to a specific environment - no protection from attacks
Adjust Weight    --- adjust weight to walk on any surface, also works as featherfall
Armor       --- toughens skin to resist damage (i.e. increases DEF and gives AR) -- may manifest in different ways, from a suit of armor made from psionic energy, to changing the skin to make it tougher (i.e. metal skin) -- activation TN based upon how tough psionic wants the armor to be
Aura Sight     --- see auras, gain information from them
Awe           --- target is intimidated by character, will not attack unless forced to, will not be friendly or charmed, and will seek to be out of character's presence
Blending        --- like RM spell, Hues -- +4 to hiding (+1 for each point over TN)
Bolt Attack     --- simple bolt attack using single attack form learned when Discipline is learned (i.e. may be elemental, telekinetic or even physical) -- is visible!!
Burning Palm       --- secrete acid through hand...
Catspaw      --- can move & leap like a cat ---- half damage from falls, can jump/spring further than normal, and still attack
Clairaudience --- hear from a distance
Clairvoyance       --- see at a distance
Cling     --- may cling to surfaces and climb
Combat Insights --- keen understanding of foe, bonus to initiative
Conceal Thoughts --- protects against abilities that detect thoughts (ESP, probes, detections, mindlinks, etc)
Danger Sense      --- tingling in presence of danger, more danger = stronger or more immediate danger
Detect Lie      --- can tell if speaker intentionally lies or misleads listeners (only detects lies, does not determine truth)
Displacement     --- appears to be from several inches to several feet from actual location (+2 to DEF, plus +1 for every 5 over TN)
Distractions        --- negative mod to target Perceptions
Grow         --- similar to growth talent
Heal Self      --- Minor Healing -- healing speed is increased and/or purges body of foreign substances like diseases or toxins/poisons
Heat/Chill Object  --- heat things up
Heightened Senses    --- gains a +4 to all perception rolls (increase bonus for every bit over TN)
Inflict Pain      --- imposes negative modifier on target for duration
Know Direction --- know which way is north
Know Location   --- knows general location; better roll == more information; good for when using teleportation or planar travel or gates of some sort
Mental Redoubt    --- area effect - aids in protection against mental attacks
Mind Over Body  --- no eat, drink or sleep required) -- Focus cost is cumulative (i.e. 1 for 24 hours, 2  (total of 3)for 48, 3 (total of 9) for 72, etc), must get complete rest for 1 day for each day sustianed, cannot heal or recover psi points while sustained, can spend 1 point per day to stave off the rest (will heal & recover normally, but cannot do sustain again until days of rest attended to)(this pone still in progress)
Mind Whip        --- target is dazed
Mindsense       --- 360 degree awareness -- similar to RM Presence/Awareness
Psionic Sense  --- detect active psionics
Psi-Weapon       --- creates a simple object out of psionic energy (i.e. claws, dagggers, arrows, etc) which can then be used to make physical attacks -- such attacks also require Saves vs Con (TN 15+Will) or Stunned 1 round per point of failure - Snag on the Save == unconscious for (caster's Will) minutes -- must be taken separately for each weapon manifestation
Psychic Crush --- paralyzes target
Push           --- telekinetic shove -- no stronger than character, cannot actually hurt a target directly...
Radial Navigation  --- knows exact direction and distance to starting point (not path taken)
Read Aura     --- can be used to roughly determine level, class, and race, as well as what items the character may be attuned to, and whether or not they are subject to curses (and perhaps type of curse)
Read Thoughts --- read surface thoughts (limited by needing to know target's native language
Reduction       --- like dwarfism talent
Send Thoughts  --- Sends telepathic message to one known mind
Sense  Link      --- can use one sense of the target -- can increase capability
Sense Emotions   --- sense emotions, needs, desires of those in target area
Shadow Gate      --- short range teleport done by creating temporary portal, cost varies by distance, anybody can use the portal
Shadow Path     --- slip into semi-dimension and walk at rate of 880'/rnd|2 miles/minute|20miles/10 minutes|120mph -- easy to get turned around/disoriented and mis destination
Shield Bubble  --- shield bubble that reduces attacks/damage
Sling     --- hurl small object at foe (i.e.sling stone, perhaps up to arrow)
Spirit Sense        --- detect non-corporeal undead/spirits within 15 yards (50')
Stealth's Shadow    --- area effect - those within are must make a Wis Save or they will not notice the target, so long as he does not overt or that can attract attention (i.e. no attacking or messing with others, no actions that could be considered hostile)
Suspend Animation    --- while in suspended animation, does not need air, food or water; can withstand freezing temperature extremes; cannot be awoken, and only special detections can detect that he is alive; more advanced can set triggers to wake up....
Trigger     --- setup trigger to automatically/subconsciously use another known Psion (self only)
True Vision       --- true sight (see through shape changes, illusions, disguises, etc...)
Weaken Object    --- alter substances to weaken them making them more easily broken

Disciplines        ---Descripton
Absorbtion        ---absorbs energy/elemental attacks and glows for 1 round per hit absorbed
Animal Affinity      ---gain animal like power
Appraise Actions  ---determine likelyhood that a specific course of action will succeed (not 100% accurate)
Area Attack       ---Creats an area attack, cone or ball effect -- must be learned for each separate attack type
Astral Projection    ---basic astral travel, astral self connected to self by silver cord
Aura Alteration        ---disguise aura -- can be used to remove curses or other effects imprinted upon a character's aura
Banish Creature        ---transports target creature to its home dimension - does not work on creatures from same plane
Banishment     ---transport target to benign pocket dimension while cost maintained; pops back to original location (or nearest safe spot)
Create Object       ---makes mundane object out of surrounding material -- limited in size, lasts only as long as power is active
Dimension Travel  ---physically travel to astral plane, and from there to any other location or plane
Domination      ---control other - target is aware, simply cannot stop themselves
Ejection      ---forcibly ejects another from character's mind, has potential side effects
Explode           ---blow stuff up - cannot be used on living beings
Healing Trance       ---heals in 24 hours - trance whole time
Iron Will      ---give bonus to mental defenses, may only use 1 other psionic ability while Tower is in effect
Life Link       ---drain hits from target to heal self
Meld Minds       ---psions join minds into single entity - all Focus points combined (perhaps additional bonus based on number of minds), each must know this ability, each mind can draw upon psi Focus; use psions independently of one another and attacks against the group mind must overcome ALL defenses)
Metamorphosis       ---shape changing
Mind Scream       ---psychic scream effecting all with 50' radius --  failing save knocks them out, failing a second time causes loss of psionic abilities (psychic surgery can fix) - user not affected, but it can backlash on him) -- Those who make that first save are dazed for (5 rounds - Will stat bonus)
Mindlink      ---links upt to 4 minds -- linked can communicate telepathically, but no mind reading, once linked, distance is not a factor
Mindwipe       ---Erases a portion of target's memory (i.e. a single event/person) from within the last 10 minutes - wipe usually includes the wipe itself as well)
Object Reading        ---read recent past of object, better rolls reveal more, can view distant past as well, but takes longer
Probe Mind     ---search target's mind for information
Psionic Blast      ---stuns target -- can be versus a single target or in a cone extending from character - targets get Con save
Psychic Messenger ---tranluscent image of character delivers message to a specific location within 200 miles
Read Past        ---see past events at location -- highly emotional events only, such as deaths, etc..
Sanctuary     ---transports self (and others) to benign pocket dimension until stops paying cost - amount of time spent in pocket dimension seems like half what passes in normal world (i.e. spend 3 days in pocket dimension, heal/recover for 3 days, 6 pass in normal world)
Scrying  Will        ---able to scry out a known person or place - any distance
Summon Planar Creature   ---randomly summon creature from specific plane; no control over creature and no way to return creature to its home/prior location (i.e. could accidentally summon an adventurer traveling in the plane selected)
Superior Invisibility ---as invisibility, but character is completely masked
Telekinesis      ---move objects with your mind - weight limit involved
Teleport        ---teleport to any location on same plane, that caster can picture clearly, cost/TN varies by distance, cannot teleport into solid objects, if destination no longer there, appears in location still (i.e. attempting to teleport to 5th floor of a building that burned down will make character appear 5 stories about the ruins of the building)

Maestro

Of Psi Mind
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 07:36:24 PM »
I like the idea of the "Cool down" for the psi points. I am curious to see how this will compare to magic. As it stands, it sounds a little more powerful. But I imagine the rules for magic will be changing a little bit in Novus 2.0 as well.

imported_Rasyr

Of Psi Mind
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 04:29:33 AM »
Don't forget, Psionic Disciplines have 2 factors limiting them.

No more than 7 active at any given time (with each active giving a negative mod to physical actions and activating other Disciplines), and the total Psionic Strength cannot exceed the Psionic Focus skill total (this will actually work to keep things in check a bit). Don't forget, skill costs have a diminishing returns aspect, so they get more expensive the more ranks you have).