Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Boons and snags for defense roll  (Read 547 times)

Offline kenbert

• View Profile
Boons and snags for defense roll
« on: January 19, 2019, 02:46:16 AM »
Has anyone considered using boons and snags when making a defense roll that is detailed in Libram Novus #8?  If so what boons and snags have you allowed?

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 02:54:52 AM »
Interesting question.  I'd for sure allow Defensive Posture and Combat Shuffle.  Why don't you offer up a few alternative ones if you have time to write a couple out?

Offline kenbert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 11:46:54 PM »

Interesting question.  I'd for sure allow Defensive Posture and Combat Shuffle.  Why don't you offer up a few alternative ones if you have time to write a couple out?

Disarm foe and Advantageous Attack seem to be appropriate for boons.  For Snags I guess you could give the attacker boons on a one for one basis.  Things like drop weapon and injure self seem to be appropriate for snags as well.

Offline kenbert

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 07:33:58 AM »

Disarm foe and Advantageous Attack seem to be appropriate for boons.  For Snags I guess you could give the attacker boons on a one for one basis.  Things like drop weapon and injure self seem to be appropriate for snags as well.

I now realize that what I wrote doesn't make sense.  Thinking about this more I see that actually all that the defender roll is doing is setting the number that the attacker needs to beat.  I guess that if the defender rolls high enough to get a boon then they can choose the boon instead of the attacker choosing a snag. 

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 01:59:13 PM »
I think boons on a Defense Roll are a great idea.  However, there's no TN to base a Boon off of either.  I'd use the standard DEF TN (15+SPD) as the TN for Boons.  So, the base roll would be 5+2d10 vs. TN 15, and a a result of TN25 would score a Boon point.  Remember the average roll is 5+11=16, so you essentially have to roll explosive on a d10 to even have a chance at a Boon. 

Because its a zero AP roll I would be careful on allowing any actions as a result.  Bonuses and movement advantages on IMO; no, disarms etc.  For my 2 cents.

Offline kenbert

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 09:22:16 AM »

I think boons on a Defense Roll are a great idea.  However, there's no TN to base a Boon off of either. 

This is what I realized after thinking about this some more.  Perhaps one could treat this in a similar way to contested rolls for skills?   

Like I said perhaps if the attacker rolls low enough to get a snag then the defender can choose the snag.  This would be the equivalent of the defender choosing a boon so things like  disarm foe could be appropriate.  Perhaps the number of boon points would need to be greater since the snags seem to be a bit weaker compared to boons.

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 11:30:18 AM »
Give it a try and let us know how it works out!

Offline kenbert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 08:11:56 AM »

Give it a try and let us know how it works out!

Will try it out once my new campaign starts.

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 11:34:43 AM »
I played a lot of d6 growing up.  The defense roll adds a unique element, but, it can slow the game down so I'll be interested to hear your results.