Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Re: Re: Novus 2.0 tidbits -- Hits & Wounds  (Read 1150 times)

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
Re: Re: Novus 2.0 tidbits -- Hits & Wounds
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2019, 05:21:14 PM »
Yah, basically, that if two unskilled opponents are fighting they should have to roll a "lucky" shot to do even a minor wound.  Skill with an attack will develop much quicker than defense from being hit so it should be balanced to make it hard to wound w/o skill so that when you are skilled it's still a result that is dramatic.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2019, 08:31:36 AM »
I am not sold on this chart approach. Going that way you have to read a chart to know how much damage and what effects you deal and then, if rolled high enough, refer to the boons chart. I much prefer the former approach based on thresholds and direct dice roll reading.

If I understand correctly, the cap on scaled damage is linked to the stat used for the attack. Is that Speed or Dex most of the time ? Is Strength qtken into account in the DR as you proposed a few days ago (DR = STR+xx)?

I think the chart is escalating too steeply. Now you deliver a dire wound with a 14 above DT which previously would have granted you only a 1 point boon. The instant kill with a 00 roll seems a little bit harsh too.

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2019, 05:36:42 AM »
One thing to remember is that there is a natural cap to rolls of 40, as that is the max that can be rolled on the dice.

Also remember that  the 14+ is actually a total roll or 33 or higher usually. Is the table perfect? Nope, but it is a starting point, and a possible option that could be included or used.

and the Nat20 critical success could just easy be knocked out, or subdued, completely disabled, etc... as desired.