Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Pairing Down for a Public Beta  (Read 1073 times)

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
Pairing Down for a Public Beta
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 03:19:35 PM »
Use a snap-shot approach.  We can write and adventure specific to a small locale and include the races etc. plus source material for just that location.  Similar to what I do for the Novus Mini's (but better).  I don't know if you remember but all of my material actually started with a Rivers Edge publication you and I had talked about years ago.  Maybe I'll mock something up this weekend?

Offline Trentin Bergeron

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
    • https://www.trechriron.com
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 09:32:30 PM »
This is a good idea!

Bundle a small locale, with supporting system bits, and a starter adventure. The market has shifted, so having a playable game will encourage new GMs/players to try it out.
Trentin C Bergeron
Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 09:38:51 PM »
That was my thought as well.  Also, I know from experience that developing the whole of a game or setting is quite overwhelming.  So, if we narrow the scope we can make sure not to get bogged down in a 7 or 8 year revision that would see an entire generation of gamer not have access to a new version....wait, which forums am I on?

Offline Trentin Bergeron

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
    • https://www.trechriron.com
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 01:58:13 AM »

....wait, which forums am I on?

LOL

Yeah, I should have quoted you, but I was saying your idea is a good one. Get a "all in one" playable basic intro release that wets prospective GMs/Players appetite.
Trentin C Bergeron
Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 02:14:20 AM »
Absolutely.  And, honestly, I was just poking fun at the 7+ year revision of Rolemaster........

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 03:18:01 AM »
Yeah, I had not intended to take what basically amounted to a several year break in writing, but real life happened and that had to take precedence for a long while.

And yes, I like the idea of including a small area/adventure to get started. I'll see what I can scrape together. perhaps.

Offline kenbert

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 07:38:50 AM »
I notice that you don't intend to include any of the spell access talents.  Is the information in the class descriptions and other included information  sufficient to cover all of the necessary workings of the talents?

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 07:46:40 AM »
Yeah, I am on the fence about including them. If I do not, then I would make sure that everything was explained in the correct Training Path.

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2019, 12:25:28 PM »
Not poking at you Tim- just ICE.  LOL.  I am going to make a Character with v11 right now.  I'll post them when I am done.

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2019, 01:47:05 PM »
OK- I put together an Elven/Rover/Scout.  I do have some thoughts formulating, but, over-all CharGen is as fluid as I remember.  I LOVE the 3 stage layered package approach (as you will remember Tim).  So, on to the observations:

1. Add something like Lift/Carry to Size so that we can define a Base Lift Weight.  As a GM it's very a useful.
2. I'd add Equipment to the Training Path - D&D5E gives you options at the various stages of CharGen so you're adding equipment as you're going.  I find players like the "build" aspect.  This would be particularly useful in the "Lite" public play-test version IMO
3.  Stats:  I understand and remember that we changed Novus to a TN20 resolution.  But, I wonder if this revision might be an opportunity to do something a little different....why not present the stats as TNs so when you are rolling skills you are rolling against a stat?

So, for example: the array of +5,+4, +4, +4, +3, +3, +3, +3 would be 18, 19, 19, 19, 20, 20, 20, 20.  If you then reverse the Bonus/Penalties of the Racial Stats you modify the base TN +/- by the racial mods.

Suddenly, aside from combat, all core dice rolls are represented on the Character Sheet.  Since one of the reasons skills were "unlocked" from stats was to encourage creative game-play players would have all their base TNs right in front of them, hopefully removing some of that hesitations.

Thoughts?

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2019, 01:49:36 PM »
The stats flipped version of the Elven Scout (plus I forgot my STR mod on the last, oooops).  Obviously the secondary stat formula would have to be changed, but, I really like the idea of the TNs being right in front of you.

I'm going to delve into Running Novus next.  I be if we did implement a change like this it would pare down that section dramatically...

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2019, 10:29:13 PM »
So, after reviewing the Running Novus chapter I'd be comfortable reducing all the Skill TN info to the base Stat TN + the generic +3/+5 Minor/Major complication mods.  These could be presented as "Stack-able" mods and make it very easy for GMs to learn how to handle their own game.  We could even use a Minor/Major Advantage mod too....something like this:

Major Advantage -5
Minor Advantage -3
Base TN +0
Minor Complication +3
Major Complication +5

What could be really cool is using complimentary skills to provide a Minor Advantage.  Lock Lore, Herb Lore etc...come to mind.

Anyway, that 's it for now....back to shoveling snow....ugh

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2019, 05:37:35 AM »

1. Add something like Lift/Carry to Size so that we can define a Base Lift Weight.  As a GM it's very a useful.

We have the Encumbrance rules, perhaps something built off that.

2. I'd add Equipment to the Training Path - D&D5E gives you options at the various stages of CharGen so you're adding equipment as you're going.  I find players like the "build" aspect.  This would be particularly useful in the "Lite" public play-test version IMO

That might be a cool idea

We already have the generic adventuring supplies in the equipment section, but we could provide a few options for the core/lite Beta.

3.  Stats:  I understand and remember that we changed Novus to a TN20 resolution.  But, I wonder if this revision might be an opportunity to do something a little different....why not present the stats as TNs so when you are rolling skills you are rolling against a stat?

So, for example: the array of +5,+4, +4, +4, +3, +3, +3, +3 would be 18, 19, 19, 19, 20, 20, 20, 20.  If you then reverse the Bonus/Penalties of the Racial Stats you modify the base TN +/- by the racial mods.

And here you confused me. I am not sure where you would be getting those stats from.

Suddenly, aside from combat, all core dice rolls are represented on the Character Sheet.  Since one of the reasons skills were "unlocked" from stats was to encourage creative game-play players would have all their base TNs right in front of them, hopefully removing some of that hesitations.

Interesting idea....

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2019, 05:39:31 AM »
Doh! I get it now....

since +5 is above the average of +3 by 2 points, the base TN for rolls involving that stat are 2 points less than the base 20.

but, if we are not adding the actual Stat Bonuses into the skill rolls, the array of +5,+4, +4, +4, +3, +3, +3, +3  would perhaps generate TNs of 15, 16, 16, 16, 17, 17, 17, & 17, and then go from there.

And then instead of giving Static TNs, we could present them as modifiers such as

Action           TN Was            Would now be
Balance (on surface 7-12 inches wide)            20          +0
Balance (on surface 2-6 inches wide)           23          +3
Balance (on surface less than 2 inches wide)           27          +7
Bluff (using Trickery - something believable)           24          +4
Climb Rope (knotted or bracing against wall - 5' Base)           18          -2
Climb (wall with ledges or ship rigging - 5'Base)           20          +0
Climb (few handholds, typical dungeon wall - 5'Base)           25          +5
Climb (rough rock wall or a brick wall - 5'Base)           30          +10
Disarm Trap (average trap)           25          +5
Pick Lock (a simple lock)           18          -2
Pick Lock (an average lock)           23          +3

....and so forth....

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2019, 05:56:16 AM »
And then the Base Difficulty Ratings would be modifiers as well...

Base Difficulty Ratings

Mundane (-10)
Easy (-5)
Average (+0)
Hard (+5)
Challenging (+10)
Heroic +15)
Legendary (+20)