Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Pairing Down for a Public Beta  (Read 1074 times)

imported_Rasyr

Pairing Down for a Public Beta
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2019, 01:42:48 PM »
Actually, the Giant Rat is incorrect. It should have a DT of 23.

Giant Ant should be 20 (10 Base + 8 Reflexes + 2 Size Modifier + 0 Skill [4 ranks combat])

Giant Rat should be 23 (10 base + 10 Reflexes + 2 Size Modifier + 1 Skill [5 ranks combat])

Remember, skills ranks max out at 1 rank total for every 20 points (or portion thereof), so the Giant Ant, which only has 75 points, is limited to 4 ranks in any skill, while the Giant Rat, with 95 points, is limited to 5 ranks.

Good call on the Culture, and easy to change.

Stats - Yeah, I am keeping 3 being the average Human stat for an adult. Perhaps we could reduce the number of points across the board, from 29 total, to say 25, which would only give 1 stat  a slightly above average, and  require players to make harder choices about their stats (since the racial Modes still apply (would have to change Humans slightly then, as they are possibly too powerful right now.

All the Monsters have a flat 3 across the board on all stats before I add in racial modifiers, so that they represent the average of their species.

And now that I look at this table again, and think about it...

Value Descriptor
0 Inept/Child
1 Teenager
2 Young Adult/Average
3 Average Adult Prime
4 Above Average
5 Highly Capable
6 Extremely Capable
7 World Class Ability
8 Maximum Human
9-11 More than Human/Mildly Superhuman
12-14 Moderately Powerful Superhuman
15-18 Powerful Superhuman Abilities
19-23 Legendary Abilities
24+ Godlike Abilities

Starting Stats SHOULD be based on 2's, not 3's across the board. (though I might still leave all monsters at 3's since that makes the ones encountered in their prime (and it would mean not having to go through and change ALL of them, but then again, I may go ahead and change them anyways, to make things more fair), and allows the GM a little leeway to adjust down if they are too hard (i.e. you met a young one). And thus

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2019, 02:31:43 PM »
Yeah, gonna update the critter stats, reducing the base to 2 across the board (which will also change the number of Hits and Minor/Major/Dire Wounds on a lot of them as well Attack Bonuses...)

Will adjust the Stat Gen rules, so that the total for the point buy and pre-made stats is 20 points (as opposed to 29 points). Should have all this done in a day or two, along with any changes I make to the martial arts stuff.

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2019, 01:31:34 AM »
OK, well, I didn't see size in the Abilities breakdown.  Might be a good idea to include it.  I do firmly believe that you need to switch to a base +0 Stat. 

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2019, 07:45:16 AM »
Sorry, but going to a base zero would introduce other issues, especially for the Secondary Stats. I already saw some hints of it just dropping from 3 to 2

As for the breakdowns, yeah, I will add to the Playtest version, but for the beta, I am actually planning on trimming out some of that text about sizes and such, so that you are left with the finished product.

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2019, 11:30:58 AM »
OK.  Makes sense to trim text out for the beta too.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2019, 04:28:00 PM »
I think the Paladin is missing as an RPG staple. I would suggest putting it instead of monk or elemental guard. Martial arts are already covered by the martial artist.

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2019, 05:28:49 AM »
I have the Elemental Guard in there to show that not all Hybrids have to be spell casters, that they can also be those with an "arcane ability" as well.

Personally, I would rather trim the number of spell users overall (since spells take up a lot of space in the book) since we are going to combine it with the Anwyn setting.

Maybe replace the Ranger with the Paladin, since the Ranger is the same school as the Druid, not the Cleric then we would have Cleric/Paladin, Wizard/Bard, Mystic/Monk and we could trim out the Magician as well, maybe.

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2019, 05:31:50 AM »
Ooooh.. looking at the Schools circle reminds me, I need to create a Hybrid for the Spirit Magic school. I like the name of Greywalker for it (which is from a series of books I am reading now, but the training path would not be like the character in the book.

Need another name for Dwelfs too, I just realized that Shadowlings is too close to Shadowkin.

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2020, 11:29:14 AM »
Where is the Beta at in terms of progress?

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2020, 02:56:40 PM »
working on repricing the spells (also adding in xx per rank durations). Once that is done, then I can move them over to the beta, do some more clean up and it should be ready (note: I am also reworking some of the presentation in the beta as well)

(side note: redoing spell costs takes forever, since I am also working hard to make sure that they are consistent)

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2020, 12:10:47 PM »
Keep us posted (pardon the pun).