Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Opinions wanted -- Height & Weight tables  (Read 90 times)

imported_Rasyr

Opinions wanted -- Height & Weight tables
« on: February 18, 2019, 02:36:08 PM »
Attached are some Height, Build, and Weight Tables (clicking on them will make them bigger)

Basically determine Height, and then determine Build (there are racial modifiers here),  and then on the third table cross reference Height and build to get weight.

These are for based on healthy, in shape individuals for those heights and builds.

Offline Trentin Bergeron

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
    • https://www.trechriron.com
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 09:48:19 PM »
I would reverse engineer this into something more generic, so it's not racial based. This would allow you to use the same approach regardless of what race list you were using. Then include racial modifiers in the race descriptions  - "Dwarves tend to be shorter and heavier for their size".
Trentin C Bergeron
Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

Offline Sunwolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 04:40:25 PM »
You might want to look at BMI (Body Mass Index) which is used by the Health industry to determine healthy Wts to establish base wts, then increase or decrease what would be a healthy BMI based on race and Str (muscle mass), once you have a base you can determine underwieght, avg, overweight and obese ranges

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 06:38:34 PM »

You might want to look at BMI (Body Mass Index) which is used by the Health industry to determine healthy Wts to establish base wts, then increase or decrease what would be a healthy BMI based on race and Str (muscle mass), once you have a base you can determine underwieght, avg, overweight and obese ranges

Good idea, can go as the Medium build using that, and then make the racial adjustments from there.

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 10:03:13 PM »
Agreed

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 04:59:44 AM »
ok, after finding a table of average weights for folks from 5'2" to 6'4", the weights on the table above are only a couple of pounds heavier than the average

For example, the Table I have says average for 5'2"  with a Medium build is 131-141, giving us an average of 136, and the table above says 130

For 5'5", the table above has 141, and my BMI table says 137-148 lbs, which averages out to 143

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 06:51:38 AM »
am also looking at some formulas for determining weights as well (this may be the best way to go)

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 02:43:13 PM »
Ok, here is what I settled on doing.....

I made me a table, based on inches in height, and then used a formula I found that determined weight from height for baseline humans.

I then took the height ranges for each race, and used a multiplier to determine the baseline weights for the different races.

I then took those Height and Weight ranges, and turned them into the following formulas.

For example, the formula for a Male Dwelf is 37+1d10 (33+4/in)
The first part is height in inches, and the part in parenthesis is weight, and the base height and base weights are your starting points.

So, I roll 1d10 and get a 3, that means that my Dwelf is 40 inches tall (3'4"), and that would make his weight be 33+(3 x 4) = 33 + 12 = 45 lbs

And the same would apply to the other races (note: I still have a few races to add to it).

And at the bottom of the image, there are weight modiiers for different builds, so, If my Dwelf had a Slight Build, he would be 41 lbs, But if he had a Large Build, he would be 52 lbs (note: I rounded up on the fractions)

This allows for both random rolls or choices (I can make a table for the builds as well, likely similar to the ones above, but without the modifiers to it)

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 06:32:21 AM »
And here is the finished table

In addition the modifiers on the table, end weights can be adjust +/-5lbs from those determined by the table itself (before any Build adjustments)

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 01:13:38 AM »
I like it.  A little randomness is a lot of fun IMO