Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Hedge Wizard?  (Read 53 times)

imported_Rasyr

Hedge Wizard?
« on: March 17, 2019, 05:39:14 AM »
I have been thinking about adding a Hedge Wizard type profession.

This character is a spell user without formal training. He can learn spells from any school. However, his cost for them would be double the Mn cost column (where anybody without proper access to a school normally would be required to pay double Non costs).

Thoughts? Comments?

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
Hedge Wizard?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 12:12:44 PM »
I love the idea of a Hedge Wizard.  However, who would play one with the costs so high?  Maybe they can learn the spells normally but the base casting TN is higher?  This could reflect that although they can cast the spell they are doing it though imperfect training.....just a thought.

imported_Rasyr

Hedge Wizard?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 04:44:45 AM »

I love the idea of a Hedge Wizard.  However, who would play one with the costs so high?  Maybe they can learn the spells normally but the base casting TN is higher?  This could reflect that although they can cast the spell they are doing it though imperfect training.....just a thought.

I like that idea, that and increase the Fatigue for each spell as well.

We could also have an Archmage as well.

How do these look?

Archmage
Archmages are the ultimate spell caster, able to learn Magic from any School. But that comes at a price. The Casting TNs and Fatigue costs are slightly higher
Magic Stat: Int
Favored Skills (10): Casting:(8 skills, 1 for each school) 1, Magecraft 1, Targeting 1
Features:
        Cantrips (5) - Character knows up to 10 + Int cantrips
        Spell Access, Arch(25) - All schools; +2 to Sensing Magic, all spells have +1 to TN and cost +1 Fatigue, uses Major costs for purchasing spells
CP & XP: Costs 5 CP and Gain +40 XP (includes the 5 CP spent on this Training Path)

Hedge Wizard
 A Hedge Wizard knows a little about many different schools of magic. They can learn spells from any school, but due to their imperfect learning, all spells have higher Casting TNs and Fatigue costs.
Magic Stat: Wisdom
Favored Skills (10): Casting:(8 skills, 1 for each school) 1, Magecraft 1, Targeting 1
Features:
        Cantrips (5) - Character knows up to 10 +Wisdom cantrips
        Spell Access, Hedge(20) - All schools; +1 to Sensing Magic, all spells have +1 to TN and cost +1 Fatigue, uses Minor costs for purchasing spells, is not able to scale spells up in power.
CP & XP: Gain +35 XP

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
Hedge Wizard?
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 10:34:20 AM »
Seems good to me.