Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Shield stats question  (Read 478 times)

Maestro

Shield stats question
« on: May 27, 2019, 07:14:56 PM »
Phew! Real life caught up and I've been absent for a bit. But I'm getting back in the swing of things. Any way, I'm working with some new players and one of them wants to play a martial artist who also fights with a shield, like captain America. Can I get some suggestions for damage rating on this, and maybe range increment for if he throws it? And any other necessary info too

imported_Rasyr

Shield stats question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 04:22:33 AM »
Page 49 of the Novus core rules contains several Combat Moves for using a shield offensively.

Require "Shield Training". This grants a +1 to DEF of the shield, then the Combat Moves say Damage is DEF+St. Now, considering that you said Martial Artist, then let him do a Weapon Kata using the shield. This adds another +3 to the Base Damage (i.e. a Target Shield learned in this manner would give+3 to DEF, and have a Base Damage 6+St, a normal shield would be +4 to DEF and 7+St for Damage, and a Full Shield would be +5 to DEF and 8+St Base Damage (and -1 point of Base Damage when thrown).

And this is BEFORE you take into account material/construction/design of the shield.

As for the range increment - normal would be the same as for any thrown weapons (i.e.   th = thrown; range increment for thrown weapons is the Strength Stat Value of the character in feet.) With shields that are aerodynamic being 2x th, or depending upon the material that they are made of, up to 3x th or even 3x th. (I would make it depend upon the final weight of the shield and how aerodynamic the shield is.